Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2015, 04:57 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,857,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Student loans like the vast majority does.
If they borrow entirely for their bachelors, they will have less capacity to borrow for post bacc (ie med school, MBA, masters, JD etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 06:42 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,444,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
If they borrow entirely for their bachelors, they will have less capacity to borrow for post bacc (ie med school, MBA, masters, JD etc.).
I paid for my own college degree, paid rent to my Mom, paid for my own car, clothes etc. No student loans. I then picked a job with good hours that paid for my MBA stayed the required time and then moved on.

Deadbeats students need to work. I was a Barclays Bank employee for 1 and a 1/2 years and then a Master Card Employee for the remainder of college. I worked 20 hours a week min to get benefits and at xmas break and summer break they let me work 40 hours a week. I had paid vacations and paid sick days and heck Master Card paid for six credits of school each year for free.

When I graduated college jobs were scarce guess what I just stayed full time at Master card for six months after graduation.

My resume stood out as other lazy bone new college graduates had paper thin resumes. And I was able to take my first job out of school by turning down higher paying jobs to pick the job that would give me the most experience and prestige rather than quick cash as I had no student loans.

College is still dirt cheap. Go to Nassau Two years, switch to Baruch which has a great joint Accounting/MBA program so you graduate the program with a CPA and a MBA in Finance and a degree in Accounting.

Baruch has internships set up with great companies like KPMG, PwC, EY DT and Merrill and JP Morgan where the summer intership is paid and can cover the 5k tuition. Live at home with Mommy and Daddy and five years after graduating HS you are set, two degrees, CPA, MBA, solid internships and no debt.

But most bratty lazy bone kids wont do it as it sounds like too much work. Let me go to an away college and run up debt and major in Gym or Art History

Old 07-06-2015, 07:49 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,765,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
I paid for my own college degree, paid rent to my Mom, paid for my own car, clothes etc. No student loans. I then picked a job with good hours that paid for my MBA stayed the required time and then moved on.

Deadbeats students need to work. I was a Barclays Bank employee for 1 and a 1/2 years and then a Master Card Employee for the remainder of college. I worked 20 hours a week min to get benefits and at xmas break and summer break they let me work 40 hours a week. I had paid vacations and paid sick days and heck Master Card paid for six credits of school each year for free.

When I graduated college jobs were scarce guess what I just stayed full time at Master card for six months after graduation.

My resume stood out as other lazy bone new college graduates had paper thin resumes. And I was able to take my first job out of school by turning down higher paying jobs to pick the job that would give me the most experience and prestige rather than quick cash as I had no student loans.

College is still dirt cheap. Go to Nassau Two years, switch to Baruch which has a great joint Accounting/MBA program so you graduate the program with a CPA and a MBA in Finance and a degree in Accounting.

Baruch has internships set up with great companies like KPMG, PwC, EY DT and Merrill and JP Morgan where the summer intership is paid and can cover the 5k tuition. Live at home with Mommy and Daddy and five years after graduating HS you are set, two degrees, CPA, MBA, solid internships and no debt.

But most bratty lazy bone kids wont do it as it sounds like too much work. Let me go to an away college and run up debt and major in Gym or Art History
Same here my parents helped me with what they could (which wasn't much) and I paid the rest (right through my masters) through scholarships and working. When I graduated I had zero student loan debt. You are right many kids want to go to some small private liberal arts college (for the college "experience") major in something that has zero value and then gets stuck with a six figure bill and wonder why.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:04 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,140,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Meh college is becoming more and more of an debt ridden overrated ripoff anyway... There are other paths to success out there.
For sure! It's really a scam, but if you don't play the game by going you stand little chance at getting even an entry level position.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:15 AM

715 posts, read 1,233,514 times
Quote:

College is not dirt cheap. Suffolk county community college is at least $2k a semester, without all the ridiculous fees and textbooks. Let's call it $10k (See it all here: https://www.sunysuffolk.edu/Prospects/Tuition.asp)

And good luck with just an associates degree out in the world. And you mentioned Baruch. Tuition is about $3k a semester. Add on all the fees and that's about another $14k. (See tuition here: https://www.baruch.cuny.edu/tuition/)

A student who will still be running around $25k to do a four year school. And what if a student can't complete their studies in 4 years because of either scheduling, classes are filled or they can only take a certain amount of credits per semester? Then they would need another semester.

Plus, other than fees, you have supplies (if you go for a degree that requires extra material), you have commuting costs, and if you decide to do a state school but it's far away, you need to tack on room and board fees. (That's $6k a semester at Baruch). You're looking at anywhere from $30k - 50k to go to school.

And bashing the arts? Gee, I never heard that argument before. Not everyone needs to be a accountant or an engineer. If everyone became those, then we'd have an over abundance of those degrees flooding the market and people wouldn't be able to get jobs. I know so many people forced into a 4 year school because they were told to do so, when you should've been off doing a trade.

And not every kid was advised well with their college funding choices. I unfortunately went to a crappy for-profit college, who saddled me with private loans I didn't ask for. They knew what they were doing. The government is investigating them now for it (The Art Institutes, if anyone is interested in learning more). What they did is similar to the sub-prime mortgage loan problem that existed a few years back.

Anyway, I digress. My generation was sold this big idea of college and that having student loans was "good debt" and that it'll take you far. That you had to go to college and frankly, I would've preferred to take some time out from school and explore a little. But, shoulda coulda woulda. I just hope the next generation learns a thing or two and knows that there are many options out there for them other than just 4 years of college.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:27 AM

22 posts, read 35,605 times
Quote:

Graduated Baruch in 2001 with a 3.97 GPA and very good internships. I didn't get a front office job at any of the firms you mentioned - I only got offers for back office work (operations) and government positions. Lots of employers recruit at Baruch to fill diversity needs - but they rarely hire non-diverse Baruch grads for the client facing positions or good analyst programs. And why should they? NYU and Columbia are also a train ride away and they are far superior schools. But Baruch is very reasonably priced.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:49 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,140,822 times
I went to Farmingdale and had a very good job before I even had my degree. Those days are gone though and now everything is buzzwords and check boxes when looking for employees.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:20 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,765,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
I went to Farmingdale and had a very good job before I even had my degree. Those days are gone though and now everything is buzzwords and check boxes when looking for employees.
My father graduated from farmingdale with a 2 year degree and got an apprenticed engineering gig at Grumman out of the gate. He pretty much leaned his engineering field with on the job training. Could you imagine that EVER happening today?? How times have changed.

I was also very fortunate to have a great full time job through most of college that not only paid all my bills but allowed me to sock away money for the future. That isn't easy to find these days.

Last edited by peconic117; 07-06-2015 at 10:30 AM..

Old 07-06-2015, 10:14 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,039,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
/\/\

In the free market, colleges and universities have tremendous pricing power. More so for U.S. institutions because they attract students from around the world. It's not financial aid and scholarships that's driving up the price of higher ed. It's strong demand in a global job market that has become increasingly white collar.
What you say may be true of a very small number of elite schools that can charge whatever they want. But the vast majority of schools, if there is absolutely no way for middle class people to afford them (which is what you propose by eliminating all forms of financial aid and scholarships), they will be forced to either lower their tuition, or go out of business. Most schools have only a very small percentage of international students.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:20 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,039,625 times
Quote:

It's interesting that a few posts ago, you said it's entirely the father's responsibility to pay for his children to go to a "good" colleges (Posts 79 and 80), and now you say that the kids should be paying for their entire education. Looks like you change your story when you realize that you lost the argument. I also find it interesting that you didn't even respond to my post about wedding vows. I guess you realize that you are wrong.

Quote:
Again, a few posts ago (also in Post 79) you said that attending Nassau Community is shameful, but now you are suggesting it as the best option. Again, sounds like you realize that you were wrong.

Quote:
You now seem to consider Baruch as a "good" college, which proves that a "good" college (your term) doesn't have to be expensive.

Quote:
In defense of people who choose to go away to college, I do feel that I learned a lot of life skills being away at college that I would not have learned if I was living with my parents and commuting to college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island