Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 05:27 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,048,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Like what? Not being a troublemaker, just wondering what it is. When I get home it is instantly into the whirl of wife and kids stuff. Not like when I was single.
You seriously do not have any hobbies outside of work? What about having dinner with family, exercising, watching TV, taking walks, playing sports, swimming. Why did you bother getting married if you prefer to sit on a train than rather than to spend time with your wife and kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 08:33 AM

50 posts, read 56,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halberto9 View Post
Getting back to the original post, is there a type of Bachelors degree that could possibly be a "terminal" degree and enable the degree holder to have access to a decent paying job? I'm just asking as I have some friends who are parents of recent BA/BS graduates. One kid has a degree in "Environmental Policy" from a very respected University; it took him a year to find a job paying a little under $20/hour. To me that's kind of sad, and he was searching both NYC and LI. The other kid with a Psychology major from SUNY is some kind of manager at a group home for special needs mentally disabled adults, barely making over $20 hour, another sad case. Is that the best one can expect with these kind of degrees? Would something like computer science, bus admin or accounting provided a better track for entering the job market?
It's not JUST the kinds of degrees that matter. It's what the students do on the summers and during the academic year (particularly if they live near NYC) that matters. I started working at law firms + corporate legal departments when I was 15 years old doing filing over the summers and on school breaks. When I graduated college (some years ago), I had a double major in two humanities fields and several job offers from many of those places that were looking to take me on as a full-time employee.

Humanities degrees, or non STEM fields, are very rarely terminal degrees in their fields. Even in the STEM fields, it's increasingly rare for engineers to progress in some fields without a PhD (for example, if you work in pharma, you typically need a PhD in chemical engineering). It doesn't mean that a student with a psychology degree cannot do well in other fields, it just means they need to market themselves differently as a job candidate. Good career development offices can certainly help with that repositioning.

Computer science (especially if you know a thing or two about information security), economics (much less fluffy than "business administration"), statistics and mathematics typically do the best for gaining a viable career path right out of undergrad. If you go to a Top 20 school, they typically care much, much less about your major. Accounting, you will need a CPA license to do well in the field (which, if I recall correctly, requires either work experience or graduate coursework to sit for the exam).

Old 07-09-2015, 08:39 AM

50 posts, read 56,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplanet321 View Post
I forgot about making this thread. I actually did have an interview a year after graduation at Cold Spring Harbor. It was a position working in the administrative office of their Ph.D program. Of course I didn't get the job.
Chin up! I know it's hard out there for young graduates - but as someone who has interviewed for tons of positions, and applied for many more without even a note - you have to treat every.single.interview as if it's your first interview ever. Finding a job is a full-time job, in and of itself. You have to finetune every cover letter, every follow up note, schedule when you follow up with individuals.

Do you follow up with the people who interview you, even after they reject you? Nice notes after a rejection - expressing your continued interest in the company, reiterating your skills, and demonstrating your willingness to stay positive in light of disappointment, and your persistence - WILL pay off.

I have written so many "nice" notes after rejection letters. And in over half those cases, they remembered me, so the next time there was an opening in the department, I got a call without even the posting going online. In some cases, it's been over five years since I interviewed, and I'm still getting calls from places I interviewed at, and was summarily rejected.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:51 PM

166 posts, read 313,789 times
I think you can do quite well with a bachelors degree in accounting. My son started working 2 weeks after graduation from a decent, but not top notch college. He got his first job through a temp agency, and within one year had a 60K job in NYC. He's now working on his CPA two years after graduating, and hopefully that will help boost him some more. But from what I've seen, there is plenty of entry level work with a bachelors in accounting. Of course, if you don't like accounting.....

Old 07-11-2015, 02:30 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,085,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
in 2009, I moved up to LI from FL right out of college for a $30/hr job.
Now I make $50/hr.

I think my job is tough, but I guess I shouldn't be complaining.
May I ask what kind of job you have? It's unusual to hear of hourly jobs paying $50 an hour. You are making over $100k a year and they are paying you an hourly rate?

Old 07-11-2015, 05:20 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Full time contractor jobs are hourly. Down-side is lack of benefits typically.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:53 PM

4 posts, read 1,678 times
I don't think there's a lot to do with a BS in bio.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:51 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
all a degree is today is the equal to the high school diploma when i started out 40 years ago in the work force it is the filter many company's use just for entry level jobs.

all it means is you have the ability to learn and stay committed and has little other value . today a masters is what takes you to the next level

Old 07-13-2015, 06:42 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
Or that you can function well enough to pass a class after a many nights of drinking.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:03 AM

8,694 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matilda Adams View Post
I don't think there's a lot to do with a BS in bio.
many go to med school
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island