Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 08:46 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post
Are you talking about this place? If so, seems like a great deal at $800/mo or less even if the home needs some work, but the neighborhood and school district are poopy. That block (Lenox Ave) looks OK, but take a little Google Street View tour of the surrounding area and you'll get the idea. There's a reason why you can find decent-looking homes on the cheap in places like Bellport and the Mastics.

That said, I'm no stranger to living in... questionable neighborhoods, so if I didn't have to worry about sending my kid to that SD, I'd probably jump on this
The house you linked to is in East Patchogue, not Bellport. One thing about listings is if they only show a pic of the outside it usually means inside is a real dump.

Elke, you wouldn't want your grandchildren going to Bellport schools. Look at our ranking list and you will see Bellport routinely ends somewhere at the bottom. The people in the South Bellport area (main Village of Bellport area) and the small middle class area very close and on the north of Montauk Hwy. (that's also part of the Village of Bellport) send their kids to private schools.

You know what ruined North Bellport? Many years ago HUD sold a bunch of houses there not to families that wanted to live in them, but to investors that wanted to rent them and were willing to take people on programs (Section 8, Social Services paying the rent, etc.), so naturally the place goes ghetto. These investors got rich(er) for ruining a neighborhood 40 or 50 years ago and there is no sign of an end to it today. No gentrification or middle class coming to North Bellport anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 04:04 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
The house you linked to is in East Patchogue, not Bellport. One thing about listings is if they only show a pic of the outside it usually means inside is a real dump.

Elke, you wouldn't want your grandchildren going to Bellport schools. Look at our ranking list and you will see Bellport routinely ends somewhere at the bottom. The people in the South Bellport area (main Village of Bellport area) and the small middle class area very close and on the north of Montauk Hwy. (that's also part of the Village of Bellport) send their kids to private schools.

You know what ruined North Bellport? Many years ago HUD sold a bunch of houses there not to families that wanted to live in them, but to investors that wanted to rent them and were willing to take people on programs (Section 8, Social Services paying the rent, etc.), so naturally the place goes ghetto. These investors got rich(er) for ruining a neighborhood 40 or 50 years ago and there is no sign of an end to it today. No gentrification or middle class coming to North Bellport anytime soon.

I was really saying it tongue in cheek - wistfully thinking how nice it would be to be paying less than $2,000 in taxes with STAR
Then again, it's not an area I would pick for myself even if I didn't have grandchildren.

Still amazes me though that you can actually buy a house for so little on Long Island--with such low taxes.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:31 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,905,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulHope View Post
Wrong! That area is WORSE than Wyandanch and Hempstead!

Not even joking... That area looks like somethin straight out of a Feed The Children commercial
Sadly, I agree. When you go on google maps, virtually every block is nothing but small run-down or abandoned houses, cars parked on the lawn, toys left outside, weedy/dirt lawns, people hangin out. Driving through it in real life is even worse. It looks like down south and nothing like long island. It's one of the few LI hoods that I would actually consider a true ghetto. I would guess that at least a good 4/5 people there are poor and on some kind of govt assistance. It's an embarassment to Long Island and it's really just sad.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:54 AM
s13

797 posts, read 1,279,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
The house you linked to is in East Patchogue, not Bellport.
That's a very G-Spanny comment from you, ILLIB Semantic difference at best, that neighborhood's all the same whether it has a Hellport or East Patchogue mailing address.

Agree with the comment about the missing interior shots, though it's listed as a short sale, and I've found those listings are generally less detailed in terms of photography for whatever reason.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:11 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post
That's a very G-Spanny comment from you, ILLIB Semantic difference at best, that neighborhood's all the same whether it has a Hellport or East Patchogue mailing address.

Agree with the comment about the missing interior shots, though it's listed as a short sale, and I've found those listings are generally less detailed in terms of photography for whatever reason.
Well Elke specifically said the listing was in Bellport. That's all I'm saying. A house listed as East Patchogue wouldn't be the house. From what I remember, E. Patchogue has a nice area too with nice old homes. By Swan Lake, South Country Rd. leading into Bellport Village.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:58 AM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
I went a block up and a block down on Lenox Avenue in East Patchogue via Google Street Views and I didn't see any cars parked on lawns or anything - am I missing something?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-24-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I went a block up and a block down on Lenox Avenue in East Patchogue via Google Street Views and I didn't see any cars parked on lawns or anything - am I missing something?
East Patchogue is tolerable.

However, if you scroll around the adjacent part of N.Bellport, you will see the crazy things described by multiple users.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:10 AM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
East Patchogue is tolerable.

However, if you scroll around the adjacent part of N.Bellport, you will see the crazy things described by multiple users.
I went on Station Road, and Brookhaven Avenue, and nothing really screamed "Brownsville" to me - can you tell me a block that looks undesirable on Street Views so I can see? Thanks.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-24-2015, 11:25 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,223,723 times
Quote:
I went on Station Road, and Brookhaven Avenue, and nothing really screamed "Brownsville" to me - can you tell me a block that looks undesirable on Street Views so I can see? Thanks.
Bayview Ave in North Bellport

Old 05-24-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
C'mon now, I found these all in less than 2 minutes:
https://goo.gl/maps/XcwW5
https://goo.gl/maps/0np2L
https://goo.gl/maps/kh2Q6
https://goo.gl/maps/A8WN9
https://goo.gl/maps/o677F
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island