Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 11:18 AM

14 posts, read 14,826 times

Advertisements

My wife,the kids and I are moving to long island in about 4 months and I'm starting work in Huntington. I need advice on which town to move to. I visited long island twice before and I love the open feel of suffolk country and would prefer to live there. School district is important to us as our kids will start elementary in 2 years. Based on conversations with my colleagues, I have narrowed it down to the below towns

1. Northport/E.Norport
2. Commack
3. Kings Park
4. Greenlawn

PS: I haven't added Smithtown and Stony Brook to the above list as I have friends who live in Smithtown/Stony Brook and even though they are good school districts I want to be close to Huntington for work.

PPS: Centerport is nice, but my preference is not to pay the "water" premium

Would appreciate any inputs, thoughts and advice.

Thank you in advance
ln
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 11:24 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,832 times
Those are all solid locations. But I should point out that there is a small town feel in Northport that is pervasive, real and awesome. We left Long Island eight years ago and the only things we miss are the sense of community we enjoyed living there and our very good friends.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:36 AM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,290 times
While it's understandable that you want a good school district, try not to discount the "location, location, location" part of your move. Paying a premium for a good locale will pay off in the long run, particularly if and when it comes time to sell.

Where in Huntington will you be working? The Town of Huntington is roughly 10 square miles and includes Melville, Huntington Village, Huntington Station (my best advice is to steer clear of the area by the train station, although the school district #13 is better than SD #3) Northport, East Northport, Elwood, etc. Huntington Village for example is about a good 20 minutes away from Melville and about a half hour away from East Northport. So where you're working plays a bit of a part. Traffic here is bad with lots of congestion - no getting around it - and it plays a large part in commuting time.

Harborfields school district is about 5 - 10 minutes away from Huntington Village and is a very good district. Living in Greenlawn (Harborfields) north of Pulaski Road may be just the thing. Half Hollow Hills is ranked well too, although it's much larger than Harborfields, and this district includes the Melville and Dix Hills areas, as well as fringes of Deer Park. Northport is a good district too with a pretty little town thrown in for good measure. If you have the $, Cold Spring Harbor is probably the best school district of all.

Hope this helps a bit.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:10 PM

883 posts, read 3,719,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
While it's understandable that you want a good school district, try not to discount the "location, location, location" part of your move. Paying a premium for a good locale will pay off in the long run, particularly if and when it comes time to sell.

Where in Huntington will you be working? The Town of Huntington is roughly 10 square miles and includes Melville, Huntington Village, Huntington Station (my best advice is to steer clear of the area by the train station, although the school district #13 is better than SD #3) Northport, East Northport, Elwood, etc. Huntington Village for example is about a good 20 minutes away from Melville and about a half hour away from East Northport. So where you're working plays a bit of a part. Traffic here is bad with lots of congestion - no getting around it - and it plays a large part in commuting time.

Harborfields school district is about 5 - 10 minutes away from Huntington Village and is a very good district. Living in Greenlawn (Harborfields) north of Pulaski Road may be just the thing. Half Hollow Hills is ranked well too, although it's much larger than Harborfields, and this district includes the Melville and Dix Hills areas, as well as fringes of Deer Park. Northport is a good district too with a pretty little town thrown in for good measure. If you have the $, Cold Spring Harbor is probably the best school district of all.

Hope this helps a bit.
Agree about location- buy the neighborhood first, the house second. I also agree to consider Cold Spring Harbor & Half Hollow Hills, if budget allows- esp since you mention that you love an open feeling. Both of these places have 1-2 acre zoning.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:26 PM

I'll be working north of Pulaski Rd, close to the rail lines and Greenlawn station, so I think its Huntington Station. I have heard good things about CSH SD, but it is over my budget. I'm trying to balance location and SD. Based on google maps, Greenlawn is the closest

ln

Old 05-21-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linoob View Post
I'll be working north of Pulaski Rd, close to the rail lines and Greenlawn station, so I think its Huntington Station. I have heard good things about CSH SD, but it is over my budget. I'm trying to balance location and SD. Based on google maps, Greenlawn is the closest

ln
I think Greenlawn or Huntington with Harborfields schools would be a great choice based on those parameters. But I wouldn't discount Centerport- yes, you'll pay a premium & get less for your money but it is a very desirable area.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:57 PM

Thank you, any specific neighborhoods in Greenlawn I should consider for my search?

ln

Old 05-21-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Thank you, any specific neighborhoods in Greenlawn I should consider for my search?

ln
If I were you, I would personally look at every house at your price point in the district since its a fairly small area. I would also prefer to be in the northern portion of the district- preferably north of 25A- but this is personal preference since you get flatter, more useable properties in Greenlawn. Drive around & see which areas most appeal to you!

Edited to add- the further North you go, the more it feels like you're on the North Shore to me. Parts of Huntington/Greenlawn feel more non-descript to me...unless you are looking at a map you would never think you're anywhere near a North Shore community. Anyway, just wanted to clarify why I personally prefer the northern parts of the district- it has a more special feeling imo. Lol that said, Greenlawn properties can actually be more attractive. But you just can't beat the appeal of being close to the water.

Last edited by monkeygorilla; 05-21-2015 at 01:38 PM..

Old 05-21-2015, 01:34 PM

Thank you, I'll check them out....anybody familiar with Commack?

Old 05-21-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Thank you, I'll check them out....anybody familiar with Commack?
Yes- it was being discussed in a thread yesterday actually. Academics/socioeconomics are similar to Harborfields...housing stock is similar to Greenlawn. Yesterday I said I would pick Harborfields over Commack personally (because of proximity to the water) but if you are considering some of the more southern properties nowhere near the water, then def consider Commack in your search! I know a few families who are very happy there.

Also, if it makes a difference to you- Greenlawn has a cute little Main St area whereas Commack is more strip malls. Depends on what you prefer...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island