Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 05:30 PM

883 posts, read 3,718,456 times

Advertisements

I know lots of families from Plainview & Syosset (so many move a bit further east to Half Hollow Hills to buy larger properties- esp from Plainview since larger properties are very limited in that district).

Anyway, most people seem like they had fairly positive experiences in both places. I believe Syosset is usually more highly ranked, but it may be too competitive for some people. I think in Plainview, you will get a better value than in Syosset, but Syosset always feels less congested to me so it's all about what you want.

Also, if you have a reasonable expectation that you will eventually want to move into a larger, more expensive house, then Syosset is a better choice since there is a bigger selection of more expensive properties in that district. Larger properties/houses are very limited in the Plainview SD, hence so many people wind up moving a bit further east to HHH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 06:25 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
^ a lot of people are also building up or buying new colonials in Plainview. Lots are still 100x60 but you can find $800k 3000sf homes more and more, especially behind the library. All the ranches are prime candidates for work. Syosset schools are consistently ranked higher though.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:22 PM

5 posts, read 15,396 times
Thanks everyone. Are there specifics parts of either town to avoid? What about close to the LIE and Northern State? Are all the schools equally good? My kids will be in elementary school.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:40 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times
There are more Chinese than Indian in Plainview they are still a small portion of the population. There has been a influx of orthodox Jews over the years due to many homes being walkable to Synagogue's. HANC also has an elementary school in Plainview. The town is made up of many conservative and secular Jews. As far as kids go you will find Syosset schools have many of the wealthy upper class kids as Woodbury, Muttontown and parts of Laurel Hollow also attend the district. You should be able to find a 4br for 600k it might need some work. As a prior posted said look into Old Bethpage as it's the same school district as Plainview.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:29 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,988,287 times
Plainview is going to be a more diverse town than Syosset. If you're looking for all white, predominantly Jewish, you won't find it. You will find Indian families west of the 135, because it borders Hicksville. If you are east of the 135, you will be in a larger Jewish cohort.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:41 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
Plainview is going to be a more diverse town than Syosset. If you're looking for all white, predominantly Jewish, you won't find it. You will find Indian families west of the 135, because it borders Hicksville. If you are east of the 135, you will be in a larger Jewish cohort.
You have your towns mixed up. Syossett is 60% white and 30% Asian. Far more diverse than Plainview which is 91% white and only 7% Asian, other demographics are so small they barely registered in the census. Plainview is about as lily white as you will find on LI.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
You have your towns mixed up. Syossett is 60% white and 30% Asian. Far more diverse than Plainview which is 91% white and only 7% Asian, other demographics are so small they barely registered in the census. Plainview is about as lily white as you will find on LI.

You're right

Old 05-27-2015, 12:40 PM

783 posts, read 1,422,272 times
7% seems a bit low. I figure it's at 15% min, just Asian, not counting South Asians.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:08 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Jericho has had an asian invasion. A friend tells me he sees a lot who come from abroad with money to stash. I'm guessing it's a similar situation in Syosset. Plainview is slowly rising.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Jericho has had an asian invasion. A friend tells me he sees a lot who come from abroad with money to stash. I'm guessing it's a similar situation in Syosset. Plainview is slowly rising.
Asians and South Asians live in cohorts and go for good schools. To expect to be in a Jewish cohort in Plainview or Syosset, without Indians, is not going to happen. That's why I suggested South Merrick. All white, mostly Jewish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island