Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 10:50 AM

5,259 posts, read 4,700,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
His contract allowed him to purchase 40 years of untaken sick and vacation days.? I think that portion of his huge payout must be in his contract with the village and has nothing to do with being state Tier 1.

I'm sure that is true as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 07:04 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,791,104 times
Who approved these kinds of contracts and terms for salaries and pensions? In what year in the past was 6 figures just fine or typical for a cop or teacher? I don't get it - how did this get through here when it never happens in other states?

Old 05-26-2015, 08:17 PM

5 posts, read 4,909 times
Default It's a dangerous job

If you asked me to work as a cop in downtown Hempstead, or Roosevelt, for 40 years, for a million dollar payout, I'd have to think twice. But Old Westbury? Come on. Get real. Can't blame the guy for taking it. It's not his fault. But this is crazy, loony stuff. NYC cops are underpaid, I get it. Many cops on LI are worth every dollar in salary and benefits. It's a dangerous job, for sure. Not in Old Westbury, however. Hope the chief feels guilty enough to make a nice contribution to the widow of a cop killed on duty.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:47 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,750,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Who approved these kinds of contracts and terms for salaries and pensions? In what year in the past was 6 figures just fine or typical for a cop or teacher? I don't get it - how did this get through here when it never happens in other states?
If this is not a rhetorical question, you are part of the problem. Contracts are negotiated by elected officials. Do you vote in local elections? How can you make an informed choice if you don't know a basic fact like this?

Old 05-26-2015, 11:46 PM

22,096 posts, read 19,303,408 times
Quote:
Is it common for 'Tier 1' folks to retire with one million dollar severance packages? Or is this so unusual it made headlines?
The $1 million is unusual, but there have been a number of Nassau County cops retiring in recent years with packages in excess of $600k, some up to $900k after Mangano removed a cap on the severance packages.

10 paid holidays annually for the first 2 years, increasing to 12
15 paid vacation days to start, increasing to 30 days after 15 years of service
18 sick days to start, increasing to 26 days after 1 year of service

5 personal days

The above is for the Nassau County police, I'm sure the village of Old Westbury has something similar. The bolded and especially the sick days portion iis why you have so many of these packges simply through the roof.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:59 AM

4,989 posts, read 3,891,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The $1 million is unusual, but there have been a number of Nassau County cops retiring in recent years with packages in excess of $600k, some up to $900k after Mangano removed a cap on the severance packages.

10 paid holidays annually for the first 2 years, increasing to 12
15 paid vacation days to start, increasing to 30 days after 15 years of service
18 sick days to start, increasing to 26 days after 1 year of service

5 personal days

The above is for the Nassau County police, I'm sure the village of Old Westbury has something similar. The bolded and especially the sick days portion iis why you have so many of these packges simply through the roof.
Interesting but it seems the ability to accumulate (for 40 years) and then cash out these days was the cause of the unprecedented 1 Million upon retirement.

There certainly have been a number of Nassau County cops retiring collecting 500K. That number is a tiny fraction of the retiring cops but nevertheless that 500K seems excessive.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:06 AM

18,978 posts, read 16,811,780 times
Where I work for a school system you can only have 60 vacation days on the books at the end of the contract year or they become sick days. When you retire/leave you can be paid full price for up to the 60 days and all your unused sick time is paid at a very reduced rate. I have over 7 months of sick time on the books, haven't needed it but it won't be a cash windfall when I retire.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:31 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,487,030 times
Quote:
Interesting but it seems the ability to accumulate (for 40 years) and then cash out these days was the cause of the unprecedented 1 Million upon retirement.

There certainly have been a number of Nassau County cops retiring collecting 500K. That number is a tiny fraction of the retiring cops but nevertheless that 500K seems excessive.
Complete nonsense.......those are CHIEFS....not cops.....and the money is TAXED.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:33 AM

4,989 posts, read 3,891,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Where I work for a school system you can only have 60 vacation days on the books at the end of the contract year or they become sick days. When you retire/leave you can be paid full price for up to the 60 days and all your unused sick time is paid at a very reduced rate. I have over 7 months of sick time on the books, haven't needed it but it won't be a cash windfall when I retire.
Teachers and cops are TOTALLY different in this regard. Most districts do not permit teachers to cash in sick days at all. Most superintendents cannot either. Further, teacher pensions do not have COLA increases.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:45 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,487,030 times
Quote:
Teachers and cops are TOTALLY different in this regard. Most districts do not permit teachers to cash in sick days at all. Most superintendents cannot either. Further, teacher pensions do not have COLA increases.
But Superintendents and principals can DOUBLE DIP and retire in one district, collect a pension, and start at another full time position at another district. Teachers also retire, collect a pension, and continue per diem work in the same or another district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island