Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 05:19 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Exterior lighting located in any zoning district shall be directed away from neighboring properties and from adjoining streets and public areas, and shall otherwise be designed so that it will not interfere with the reasonable use and enjoyment of any such neighboring property, street or public area.

I have two neighbors one has one of his lights shining into two of my kids bedrooms and another idiot has it pointed at my bedroom and kitchen. Why they need to shine lights into other peoples houses is beyond me. I am ok with nice lights that light up there property but only there property. Trouble is with 60x100 plot zoning in most of Nassau light polution is everywhere.
Are you talking about the same lights that go in the soffit? They point straight down and provide ambient lighting.

The only way I can see it being an issue is if your kids' rooms are on the first floor and the lights in question are on your neighbors' 2nd floor and close by.

Flood lights are different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 05:27 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Flood lights can be annoying but the kind that light up your property like the one that's pictured in this thread should not be a bother to anyone. In fact for us it not only makes the house look nice but it's for security reasons.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:06 PM
HIS HIS started this thread

146 posts, read 279,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Exterior lighting located in any zoning district shall be directed away from neighboring properties and from adjoining streets and public areas, and shall otherwise be designed so that it will not interfere with the reasonable use and enjoyment of any such neighboring property, street or public area.

I have two neighbors one has one of his lights shining into two of my kids bedrooms and another idiot has it pointed at my bedroom and kitchen. Why they need to shine lights into other peoples houses is beyond me. I am ok with nice lights that light up there property but only there property. Trouble is with 60x100 plot zoning in most of Nassau light polution is everywhere.
The lights I am thinking of getting are like the ones in the attached picture. They go flush under the soffits and point directly towards the floor (my property). They will not be installed at an angle.

There is about 50 feet between my house to the next house - so i dont think it will bother them or go though their windows.

Lastly - the way the houses are in my development ( i am the corner lot, and my neighbor to the right has no windows facing my house. so i clearly wont be bothering anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
We have this and it's great!!! I Have it under the front, back and garage soffits.The house is all on one switch which has a timer and automatically goes on when it gets dark. I manually turn them off when we go to bed. The garage has a separate switch. Several people in my area have this. It, it looks great at night. I hate to say it but I lived in Nassau county and People complain about every little thing it seems, if it's not a barking dog in the yard it's lights or it's landscaper etc.... I have seen homes in Nassau county with these. If you like go for it and don't listen to anyone else. None of my neighbors complain but then again the homes in Suffolk are more spread out where in some parts of Nassau county the homes are so close together you can practically see your neighbors living room. BTW We have LED's. The whole job cost us about $3500
Yeah they look really beautiful and add character to the home. I am thinking of having two zones.

1- Front and the sides
2- Back

I like the idea about the timer - so I will certainly ask them to put in a time for the lights to come on.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:45 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS View Post
The lights I am thinking of getting are like the ones in the attached picture. They go flush under the soffits and point directly towards the floor (my property). They will not be installed at an angle.

There is about 50 feet between my house to the next house - so i dont think it will bother them or go though their windows.

Lastly - the way the houses are in my development ( i am the corner lot, and my neighbor to the right has no windows facing my house. so i clearly wont be bothering anyone.

Yeah they look really beautiful and add character to the home. I am thinking of having two zones.

1- Front and the sides
2- Back

I like the idea about the timer - so I will certainly ask them to put in a time for the lights to come on.
They will program it for you and like I said it's one switch for the whole house, so when you manually shut it off they all go off. We have the same lights under our garage soffits but a separate switch in the garage. We only use them if we have people over and we eat outside. Best thing we ever did because I hate light fixtures that hang on the siding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: