Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 08:18 AM

36 posts, read 33,585 times

Advertisements

hotkarl, your characterization and singling out Oceanside is a bit unfair. You can use your arguments about basically any town on LI. I grew up in 3 different towns on LI in the 80's. Is LI the same as it was even then? No. Name me a town that is. My cousins talk about how their own towns have changed and what LI has lost since the "good old days" of the 70s. I'm sure my own kid will say the same thing in the future about how things were now. I can only imagine the changes you and your family have seen since the 40s/50s. School taxes too high? Bloated public salaries? Sure, name me a town where that isn't the case. Crime up? The NCPD show Oceanside has lower lower crime than most. Long Beach Road a parking lot - can't argue with that, LOL, I wish they would get rid of the street parking and make a dedicated center turning lane as there is on some parts, that alone would make a huge difference. Oh, and dedicated left turn signals on Merrick and Sunrise in RVC while we're at it :-). Looking at any thread here or in Newsday and you can see traffic has become a universal problem, even in Suffolk, as LI has become so overdeveloped let alone a town so close to the city. Weeds and trash everywhere? Not sure about that one, I only wish there were less gardeners with their leaf blowers ;-).
Is the place the be all and end all? No, but having looked at a ton before we decided to move here, it is a great solid town with a good commute and a friendly non-uppity community atmosphere.

As for the insurance issues, beyond the entire south shore of LI and NYC and much of the north, every state on the eastern seaboard and the gulf from Florida straight through Texas as well as almost every state in the interior with a river flowing through it or a mountain that has a snow pack will have higher rates, but to think politicians nationwide with that large a constituency (of both political stripes) would allow them to somehow explode and damage their local economies would be naive. There are already bills being put up from multiple states to stop that and the threatened increases haven't even really started yet. That said, compared to taxes and their increases in the tri-state in general, insurance rates are the least problem one has to be concerned with in terms of long term costs. A double digit increase to a $700 flood insurance bill is quite different than a double digit increase to a 10k tax bill, but again that is a region wide problem.

Last edited by dagny77; 06-03-2015 at 09:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 10:28 AM

694 posts, read 1,202,733 times
Every generation laments how life was better for the generation before it, watch Woody Allen's movie "Midnight in Paris" to get the idea, there, the main character is able to travel back in time to the 1920's which he thinks was the golden age, he falls in love with the girl from that era who wants to go back to the 1870's because she thinks that's the golden age. Heck, I lament the fact that when I grew up, we all lived in a big building with a huge yard so I did not have to schedule playdates, just went outside and started playing with whoever was there, kind of like kids in the projects in the US do :-), while my American-born kids have to be driven to friends homes or other places, but that's life. To say that Oceanside is a dump? I disagree, and I think I am being very objective. Sure, our school district is not elite like Great Neck or Jericho, but it's well above solid with a balanced focus on academics, athletics and arts, yesterday, I got a brochure from the math/science symposium my son was part of, and it listed the participants, their accomplishments and colleges the seniors were going to, I was impressed, and I am an honors graduate from NYU Stern, but the stuff Oceanside kids are doing in school, just blows my mind-Intel semifinalists, the middle school science researchers were recognized at the state fair, guess what, the entire team is composed of girls, how about that, the field where women are so under-represented and our girls rocked it! High school students took first place in programming competition. Three OMS students took top place at the LI Science Congress, again, all girls! 9E student scored second highest in LI in math competition out of 500 kids, and 6th highest in NY out of 5,000 kids, the entire math team scored 14th in the state! Just go to the oceansideschools.org site and scroll down the list of all the accomplishments. I come from a family that places the utmost value on education. I speak 4 languages fluently and make enough money to afford home in RVC, however, I chose Oceanside because I want to be in the town where the fact that I am one of the top guns in a corporate world is not perceived to be the ultimate achievement. Sure, there are stuck-up people in the town, but for the most part, the vibe is really low key.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:51 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Oceanside has a some really really rich folk you would never know. Casually I was talking to a few people about the few really rich folk who live mainly on the water in Oceanside.

Then it heard this story about this little yellow 60x100 average looking split level house by school 8 in Oceanside. The richest guy in Oceanside lives there. He is an older man who is an internationally acclaimed surgeon. He has multi million dollar mansions all over the world. But this was the first house he ever owned. He comes back a few weeks each year and visits neighbors. His best friend nearby is a retired Fed Ex driver the other guy a retired mechanic. They shoot the breeze and hang out in the old neighborhood.

People assume folks buy in towns like Lynbrook, Oceanside etc as they are wannabee RVC folk but reality they often just dont want their kids exposed to the RVC kids. Drug use and premartial sex is already in the middle school in RVC, rich kids with cash and dual income parents with no one home at 3pm. I grew up in a town like on Great Neck and kids were doing coke parties and raiding Dads liquir cabinets in Junior high School and girls were on the pill at 13

Old 06-03-2015, 11:13 AM

694 posts, read 1,202,733 times
SandyJet hit the nail on the head once again. To fit in the town, one needs not only to fit economically, but also socially.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:29 PM

406 posts, read 874,064 times
If you don't think there is rampant drug use in Oceanside schools, you might be on drugs.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babysladkaya View Post
Every generation laments how life was better for the generation before it, watch Woody Allen's movie "Midnight in Paris" to get the idea, there, the main character is able to travel back in time to the 1920's which he thinks was the golden age, he falls in love with the girl from that era who wants to go back to the 1870's because she thinks that's the golden age. Heck, I lament the fact that when I grew up, we all lived in a big building with a huge yard so I did not have to schedule playdates, just went outside and started playing with whoever was there, kind of like kids in the projects in the US do :-), while my American-born kids have to be driven to friends homes or other places, but that's life. To say that Oceanside is a dump? I disagree, and I think I am being very objective. Sure, our school district is not elite like Great Neck or Jericho, but it's well above solid with a balanced focus on academics, athletics and arts, yesterday, I got a brochure from the math/science symposium my son was part of, and it listed the participants, their accomplishments and colleges the seniors were going to, I was impressed, and I am an honors graduate from NYU Stern, but the stuff Oceanside kids are doing in school, just blows my mind-Intel semifinalists, the middle school science researchers were recognized at the state fair, guess what, the entire team is composed of girls, how about that, the field where women are so under-represented and our girls rocked it! High school students took first place in programming competition. Three OMS students took top place at the LI Science Congress, again, all girls! 9E student scored second highest in LI in math competition out of 500 kids, and 6th highest in NY out of 5,000 kids, the entire math team scored 14th in the state! Just go to the oceansideschools.org site and scroll down the list of all the accomplishments. I come from a family that places the utmost value on education. I speak 4 languages fluently and make enough money to afford home in RVC, however, I chose Oceanside because I want to be in the town where the fact that I am one of the top guns in a corporate world is not perceived to be the ultimate achievement. Sure, there are stuck-up people in the town, but for the most part, the vibe is really low key.
Oceanside is a decent town with great shopping, above-average schools and some nice housing stock at reasonable prices. However, it also contains the most selfish and rude people on the South Shore. My wife and I both attended Oceanside schools and our parents are still there. When visiting, we dread going into any of the stores because the people are just so friggin obnoxious.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByWayofCanarsie View Post
Oceanside is a decent town with great shopping, above-average schools and some nice housing stock at reasonable prices. However, it also contains the most selfish and rude people on the South Shore. My wife and I both attended Oceanside schools and our parents are still there. When visiting, we dread going into any of the stores because the people are just so friggin obnoxious.
The people in the stores are all from Freeport, Baldwin, East Rockaway and Island Park towns nearby that dont really have good shopping malls.

Worst is Syosset, Great Neck, Manhasset Garden City and RVC, super rude folk

Old 06-04-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
The people in the stores are all from Freeport, Baldwin, East Rockaway and Island Park towns nearby that dont really have good shopping malls.
I don't agree at all. It's in the supermarkets, it's at garage sales, it's at the PTA meetings. There is a definite Oceanside vibe.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByWayofCanarsie View Post
I don't agree at all. It's in the supermarkets, it's at garage sales, it's at the PTA meetings. There is a definite Oceanside vibe.
Honestly I am at work all day and at my beach house on weekends so who cares what the housewifes do all day

Old 06-04-2015, 04:33 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
It's old school snobbery hanging on to the glory years of Oceanside. It's an armpit and a transient door mat.
It is a very obnoxious place to live comprised of wanna be wealth and skells. Drugs are HUGE in Oceanside schools. Which is nothing new, it has been a drug heavy place for many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island