Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 04:03 PM

48 posts, read 104,196 times

Advertisements

Old threads -

http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...oceanside.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...oceanside.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-concerns.html

Mixed reviews in terms of the community and schools although the votes for the schools being good are greater.

We're a family of 4 with the oldest ready for pre-K this year.

The commutes to Hunters Pt and/or Penn look great. How's the traffic and parking situation in/out of the station?

I don't fully understand the post-Sandy (now) and future changes planned in terms rezoning and its impact to the bottom line for home ownership costs (read: insurance). Any advice here would be great. Am I setting myself up for failure by buying here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 04:47 PM

36 posts, read 33,603 times
Oceanside as a community is very school oriented. It has a full day pre-K/K center that is very well run. My daughter is in the program right now and we've met a lot of new friends through it and are seeing wonderful results. The system also has a program called project extra in elementary and up, which is a gifted and talented program for high achievers.

Shopping in the area is great, access restaurants and to the RVC downtown and Long Beach is also a plus for those nights out. Traffic around the end of school time is one of the bigger problems. I don't commute regularly to the city, but the times I have gone to Penn I have not had an issue parking and it is quick considering some of the subway rides I've been on when we were in the city...LOL.

With millions of homes and cities nationwide that are coastal I dont believe the scaremongering over insurance rates - it would be a political nightmare. They will go up as they will everywhere. The bigger fear and expense in every town on LI are property taxes. On that Oceanside is typically lower than comparable villages/towns within the same proximity to the city with similar stats, but it is still a concern for any new homeowner.

Last edited by dagny77; 06-01-2015 at 04:57 PM..

Old 06-02-2015, 06:38 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,447,861 times
I dont understand the post sandy concept. Oceanside on the Southside was put in a flood zone in 2009. Extremely few houses were damaged to the extent they needed to be raised.

Only part of Oceanside that gets flooding is right by the train station area and parts of Oceanharbor area behind tracks.

Sandy was a once in 712 year storm.

Last year was a better year to buy in Oceanside. A lot of the new lisings are priced at around 50K higher than pre-sandy values.

Only thing I would be concerned about at all is the extremely few zone AE houses most homes are PRP EE zoned and some are not even in a flood zone. Also a concern buying a house in next few months at a price way higher than assessed value. They are reassessing in Nassau Jan 2016 and the use sale prices up to Nov 30, 2015.

I have seen plenty of houses for sale for 450K assessed at 300K for instance. And some houses for sale for 850K assessed at 450K.

For example 1 Gerard Court in Oceanside, a very big house is in contract for around 830K, it is assessed at around 470k. Come Jan 1, 2016 who knows what new assessed value would be. It might jump all the way up to sales price. That house is a serial greiver house. Who knows if all the wins will be undone.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:17 AM

715 posts, read 1,233,943 times
I grew up in Oceanside, graduated HS a little over 10 years ago. It is a very school oriented town. It's actually not a big town (I think only 5 square miles big), which probably adds to the strong community base. I personally loved growing up there. Plus as mentioned, access to RVC downtown is right there, Long Beach isn't far either.

As for flooding, I have a friend who lived in Oceanside on Weidner Ave and while she was close to being flooded, she wasn't. She didn't live that far from the train station on Lawson Blvd, which always takes the brunt of flooding in Oceanside.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:47 AM

694 posts, read 1,203,139 times
Funny, 5 minutes before I went on city-data, just out of curiosity, I checked MLSLI for house prices, and SandyJet hit the nail on the head (see, I am even rhyming this morning!), I was shocked to see that there was a very limited inventory of what I call the sweet spot zone, that is, 3-4 bedroom homes in good condition ranging from 450 to 550, this is what we were looking for 6 years ago when we bought our house, and back then, it was also very tight, either there were homes priced higher in a good condition or priced lower but needing tons of work, it took us good two years to find a house in that sweep spot.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:23 PM

57,260 posts, read 26,192,233 times
There was more flooding than just around Lawson Blvd, the South Bay Golf Course and many of the homes surrounding the various creeks an canals. If this was a hurricane equivalent to the LI Express in the 1930's it would have been far worse. They are predicting more hurricanes in the future, one more like Sandy or worse and you will see some changes in philosophy.

Seems like home prices are close to or above Sandy prices but the first increase on flood insurance premiums was April and they will continue to rise each year until they are commensurate with the risk. FEMA also may at some point change the flood zones again impacting insurance. Buying near the waterfront is a risk.

good map of the flooding

Sandy flooding on Long Island - Newsday

Old 06-02-2015, 01:36 PM

But that downside is nothing versus affordability. A standard 60x100 split in Oceanside is generally very renovated post sandy. New electric, roof, gas heat, kitchen etc. Basically only upper floor bedroom and bath might not be brand new. And taxes are like 8k on many. These house sell for 430k.

Got to RVC same house non flood zone are usually run down and estate sale, taxes are 15k and priced at 690K.

You either roll dice with another flood and flood insurance or spend and extra 250K for same house in RVC with an extra 6k in taxes.

Pretty much most homes South of nathans in Oceanside got some water. But a lot had to do with design of home. Some splits have no basement at all and some splits you see the lawn curves up. My neighbors house you go up three steps, go up walkway and then another five steps into house. Another neighbor house is only three steps up and has a basement.

Difference between a mop and a bulldozer in clean up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There was more flooding than just around Lawson Blvd, the South Bay Golf Course and many of the homes surrounding the various creeks an canals. If this was a hurricane equivalent to the LI Express in the 1930's it would have been far worse. They are predicting more hurricanes in the future, one more like Sandy or worse and you will see some changes in philosophy.

Seems like home prices are close to or above Sandy prices but the first increase on flood insurance premiums was April and they will continue to rise each year until they are commensurate with the risk. FEMA also may at some point change the flood zones again impacting insurance. Buying near the waterfront is a risk.

good map of the flooding

Sandy flooding on Long Island - Newsday

Old 06-02-2015, 03:08 PM

20,043 posts, read 20,844,919 times
I grew up in Oceanside. Family has been there since lat 40's.
Never had flooding like Sandy before, and there were some pretty nasty storms to hit Oceanside over the last 50/60 years.
So stop with the oogie boogie you're doomed with the next hurricane crap. None of us will be alive to see this happen to that extent again. Certain pockets of Oceanside always flooded and probably always will.

That being said, Oceanside sucks now. Crime is way up, the schools use smoke and mirror tactics to keep the numbers up and the salaries bloated. The corruption is through the roof. Long Beach Road is a parking lot, and an ugly one at that. Weeds and trash every where. Oceanside is the forgotten bastard child of the Town Of Hempstead. The taxes are an average of 11/12k. I would not consider buying in Oceanside. There are better communities out there, even if a little more expensive, you get more for your buck. And don't forget the soon to be opened Lawson Expressway.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:41 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Sandy was a once in 712 year storm.
Is that from a LI perspective or an overall storm perspective?

Sandy wasn't even hurricane strength when it hit. The LI Express of 1938 was, and I'm only counting 74 years between them.

Look even at the winds that Hazel brought to NYC in 1954, and it wasn't even centered in the area.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Is that from a LI perspective or an overall storm perspective?

Sandy wasn't even hurricane strength when it hit. The LI Express of 1938 was, and I'm only counting 74 years between them.

Look even at the winds that Hazel brought to NYC in 1954, and it wasn't even centered in the area.
The winds was no an issue at all in Sandy. It was two storms crossing at same time, on a full moon, at high tide that stalled around Oceanside/Long Beach area. It was the salt water that caused all the damage. Heck Sandy was no more than a rainstorm. But the high tides that overtook oceanside was issue.

I had higher winds in other storms. If fact Irene the year before made a huge mess with trees down everywhere but my house had no water.

The odds of two storms making landfall in oceanside, at high tide on a full moon and stalling out at Oceanside is a one in 712 year event.

My house built in 1955 had orginal oil burner in my lower level den and the oil burner looked brand new. My lower level was dry as a bone not a drop of water. Never even owned a dehumidifier. In sandy oil burner was completely submerged. It is obvious Sandy was a fluke storm.

Andrew, Gloria, Irene to name a few big storms did not even bring a drop of water into house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island