Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 01:57 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
Because a lot of Yanks here assume that if you want a permit, then you all drive pickups with a gun rack on the back, drink sweet tea, listen to Paisley, and wear $hit kickers. Don't be offended. I think she was being thoughtful. Good luck with your permit.
I was curious, not offended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 02:00 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,989,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
I was curious, not offended.
Cool beans.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:05 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Never understood the mentality that it's someone else's job to protect you and your family. Pro tip: cops and doormen aren't bodyguards, and have no legal duty to protect people. Cops are there to investigate crimes and catch bad guys after they've done bad things, and doormen are like airport security: providing the illusion of safety. Housing projects in the south Bronx are filled with doormen and security guards, but would you feel safe living there? Check the crime stats first.
I actually lived in the Bronx for 12 years when it was really bad. Never felt the need for a gun even when out at midnight. I mean bad folk had numbchucks, throwing stars, switchblades etc but no one had a gun.

Plus with my lightening fast reflexes I doubt a bullet could even hit me.

Only once did someone point a gun at me and lucky for me I did not have a gun. If I did we might have shot each other

Old 06-07-2015, 04:32 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
I hope you're not serious. We're not talking about someone firing a single shot breech load, a handgun can easily pump out 20 rounds of 9mm (or more) as fast as you can pull the trigger. Not the kind of odds I'd be going for.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:43 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
a real man would have caught the bullets in their teeth.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
a real man would have caught the bullets in their teeth.
Perhaps SandyJet is actually Chuck Norris. In that case I would profusely apologize and exit the conversation.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:59 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
I actually lived in the Bronx for 12 years when it was really bad. Never felt the need for a gun even when out at midnight. I mean bad folk had numbchucks, throwing stars, switchblades etc but no one had a gun.

Only once did someone point a gun at me and lucky for me I did not have a gun. If I did we might have shot each other
Have you ever been tested for a head injury?

Old 06-07-2015, 05:13 PM

814 posts, read 911,469 times
But anti-gun states keep peope safe and free from criminal activity, just ask the folks of Chicago or the 16 year old girl that was raped by 3 MS 13 gang members on a Long Island golf course.

OP I'm originally from NY and now call Virginia home.

I'm sorry to say but those liberal retards in NYS office are going to turn NYS/NYC into California or Detroit, they are going to completely destroy my home state.

Between Cuomo, Delblasio, Christie and Malloy, you can say farewell to NY, CT, and NJ.

Never in my life have I seen so much failure and overtaxed corruption then in those 3 states that are less then 50 miles of each other.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:50 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
But anti-gun states keep peope safe and free from criminal activity, just ask the folks of Chicago or the 16 year old girl that was raped by 3 MS 13 gang members on a Long Island golf course.

OP I'm originally from NY and now call Virginia home.

I'm sorry to say but those liberal retards in NYS office are going to turn NYS/NYC into California or Detroit, they are going to completely destroy my home state.

Between Cuomo, Delblasio, Christie and Malloy, you can say farewell to NY, CT, and NJ.

Never in my life have I seen so much failure and overtaxed corruption then in those 3 states that are less then 50 miles of each other.
That's OK; I'm from a military town that was ranked in the worse 10% nationally for larceny, burglary, and property crimes two years ago. We have liberal gun laws, open and concealed carry is common, and none of it has made us a safer city. In fact, if you compare my city's crime rate to that of New York City's, you'll find that good ol'"Fayetnam" is worse pretty much across the board, and it's worse than both Detroit and Chicago when it comes to burglary and theft.

It takes a lot more than liberal gun laws to keep a population safe.

I didn't start this this thread because I wanted to create a political argument or because I don't like New York's gun laws; I started it for information. I grew up hunting and shooting, and my wife and I have acquired several guns during the years. I haven't hunted in a decade, and I don't carry a gun on my person or live in fear on a daily basis. I do try to go to the range several times a year; shooting accurately and effectively is a skill, and, like any other skill, it needs to be reinforced if one is going to remain proficient in it.

I simply wanted to make sure we were following the law during our upcoming move.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
That's OK; I'm from a military town that was ranked in the worse 10% nationally for larceny, burglary, and property crimes two years ago. We have liberal gun laws, open and concealed carry is common, and none of it has made us a safer city. In fact, if you compare my city's crime rate to that of New York City's, you'll find that good ol'"Fayetnam" is worse pretty much across the board, and it's worse than both Detroit and Chicago when it comes to burglary and theft.

It takes a lot more than liberal gun laws to keep a population safe.

I didn't start this this thread because I wanted to create a political argument or because I don't like New York's gun laws; I started it for information. I grew up hunting and shooting, and my wife and I have acquired several guns during the years. I haven't hunted in a decade, and I don't carry a gun on my person or live in fear on a daily basis. I do try to go to the range several times a year; shooting accurately and effectively is a skill, and, like any other skill, it needs to be reinforced if one is going to remain proficient in it.

I simply wanted to make sure we were following the law during our upcoming move.
Hunting won't be a problem - there are quite a few duck hunters on Long Island. As mentioned by others, long guns aren't heavily controlled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island