Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 09:26 AM

929 posts, read 2,067,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Good on you FutureofBHS11, it's great to hear from students like you! In the past Brentwood did graduate some very notable people...

Graduates of Brentwood High have included...

But there was a downturn in the town and you can see a big change in the types of notables during this time.

With the Intel competition and students like you it'd be great to see more business and science notables and less boxers and hip hop stars.
Yeah, as a rule, never open a high end business next to a check cashing place. Also, never send your kids to a school that is known for graduating boxers. Pugilists normally come from very hard areas. How many options in life could someone have if they choose a career where the goal is to get your arse beat while other people bet on your demise.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:05 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,140,822 times
When I was in HS Brentwood was known as a good school with a tough guy element. When I worked in Brentwood in the 80's (around 5th) it looked a wreck. Lots of welfare, run down, fights and theft.
I hope it's turned the corner and moving back in the right direction.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:30 PM

4 posts, read 9,382 times
This is the reason why I have decided to run for assembly... It hurts me to see these responces my assembly has done nothing for my district. I am looking forward for next year. In the mean time I plan to make his life a living hell

Old 05-31-2011, 12:44 PM

4 posts, read 9,382 times
Please as someone that is going to run for assembly next year please come to the district. Yourself and I can be the start of the change I want to bring. We need people with new ideas a new Outlook to bring positive changes

Old 06-17-2011, 06:18 AM

20,926 posts, read 28,393,733 times
Don't move there, schools are not good and lots of gang violence.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:29 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,516,913 times
Guy I know got into a car accident there with a 15 year old kid driving a stolen car with a goat named Pedro in the back seat. Can't make this crap up.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,117 times
How about this. I lived in Brentwood for almost my whole life and I'm proud to say I graduated from the school district and still live here. No it's not the best place to live but when you're apart if the greatness that this town produces you look past all the negativity associated with this town because of small pickets in the neighborhood. The music program in this district is NUMBER ONE. The AFJROTC program has been named Distibguished Unit with Merit AND Honor for 4 consecutive years. No, we aren't the best place to live compared to other locations on Long Island but to compare this town to place such as Uniondale and Hempstead, which you aren't aware if are located in Nassua county not Suffolk, is just wrong.

The definition of a "ghetto" is a group or class of people that is segregated in some way. If you honestly want to go there everybody who felt the need to trash a town you know nothing about, understand that you yourself live in a "ghetto." You just happen to segregate yourself .

This town like ALL towns on Long Island has its ups and downs. Raising your kids in Brentwood will not lead them straight to jail. They will live a normal life like any other kid. The school district may be one of the largest on the island but we gave the same graduation requirements like all other NY schools. Every town had those few kids who are up to no good but that's life. Brentwood is not as bad as its being mentioned to be.

Sincerely , a Brentwood resident for 18 years.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:09 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,995,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAmos18 View Post
How about this. I lived in Brentwood for almost my whole life and I'm proud to say I graduated from the school district and still live here. No it's not the best place to live but when you're apart if the greatness that this town produces you look past all the negativity associated with this town because of small pickets in the neighborhood. The music program in this district is NUMBER ONE. The AFJROTC program has been named Distibguished Unit with Merit AND Honor for 4 consecutive years. No, we aren't the best place to live compared to other locations on Long Island but to compare this town to place such as Uniondale and Hempstead, which you aren't aware if are located in Nassua county not Suffolk, is just wrong.

The definition of a "ghetto" is a group or class of people that is segregated in some way. If you honestly want to go there everybody who felt the need to trash a town you know nothing about, understand that you yourself live in a "ghetto." You just happen to segregate yourself .

This town like ALL towns on Long Island has its ups and downs. Raising your kids in Brentwood will not lead them straight to jail. They will live a normal life like any other kid. The school district may be one of the largest on the island but we gave the same graduation requirements like all other NY schools. Every town had those few kids who are up to no good but that's life. Brentwood is not as bad as its being mentioned to be.

Sincerely , a Brentwood resident for 18 years.
i Heard their weed industry was #1 in the state
and greatness? omg thats a load of horse crap.
my dad works near their and its 85 % welfare.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:28 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,483 times
One thing I find alarming is that there are still a number of shootings going on this late in the year in Brentwood. As far as I can recall, it used to be rare for any communities on Long Island to face these problems this time of year. Even Wyandanch and North Amityville have calmed down for the Winter/Fall (Oct-Dec) seasons with no shootings. Brentwood and Huntington Station seem to be outdoing the other 'comparable towns' in crime.

But on another note, it really is what you make it. If you stay away from the bad crowds, focus on school and maintain a positive mentality then you would have just as much of a chance at success as somebody from a top district. And Brentwood schools are very well-populated so finding a group of good students to associate with should not be a hard task. (I graduated from Suffolk Community College in Brentwood and met a lot of decent students who happened to be from Brentwood there).

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 12-22-2011 at 09:13 PM..

Old 12-22-2011, 08:46 PM

449 posts, read 1,131,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
i Heard their weed industry was #1 in the state
and greatness? omg thats a load of horse crap.
my dad works near their and its 85 % welfare.
The poster your quoting lives(d?) there, while your dad works NEAR there. Who would know more about it? I don't associate with Brentwood much, but I have elementary school cousins in Baywood. They are doing EXCELLENT! Tbh, I actually WANT to be in Brentwood. They have excellent science Olympiad teams-Lindy High School's is most likely getting cut next year. My school life revolves around SOINC, most of the stuff I learn when competing is often part of the curriculum next year, so I'm prepared. No SoINC next year...bad news for my grades in my junior year....
All I can say is that Brentwood isn't the "ghetto" you make it out to be. The people of REAL ghettos/hoods would dream of living in a place like Brentwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island