Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 08:39 AM

5,052 posts, read 3,955,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
The core curriculum also caused unstable climate patterns, made finding parking harder and increased the cost of milk.

What a bunch. A lamebrain art class and soulless inimaginative field days have nothing to do with cc. Neither does funding-limits and budget caps making field trips less and less viable.

If the whole state public school system is subject to common core, which it is, how come there are so many schools with fantastic extracirrculars, great field trips and other enrichment classes?

Honestly you anti-common core loons are beyond the pale. Everything turns into a common core discussion. Like with gun nuts and Obama-responsible-for-everything-nuts. Look up monomania in the dictionary.
Common Core, cleverly named but not particularly rigorous, is just another edu-fad trundling down the highway. Soon it will go the way of 'whole language" (another cleverly named and not particularly rigorous edu-fad). Those who oppose CC are not necessarily in the grasp of some mysterious union conspiracy and those cheering it are not necessarily profiting from the production of tests, texts, and curricular materials.

As far as school districts go, my children's success (and occasionally lack thereof) has much more to do with IQ, familial support, and personal motivation than a particular LI district's pedagogical nuances. The schools they have attended have been safe and academically appropriate so I can't complain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 09:04 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
As far as parents having to help with homework, this is a huge pet peeve of mine and a sure indication of how good the teacher is. I should NOT have to re-teach a lesson at night especially with the dumb arse way they are teaching some of the stuff they do now. Yes, it's fine if your child doesn't grasp a concept to sit down and help them with it (and then have your child flip out because you can do in 2 steps what they are now teaching in 50 and they must SHOW THEIR WORK). But to continually need to sort things out at night in the absence of a learning disability shows poor skill by the teacher. AND - we've had some great teachers over the years and ALL of them have been able to come up with strategies for the child, not leaving it to the parents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
As far as school districts go, my children's success (and occasionally lack thereof) has much more to do with IQ, familial support, and personal motivation than a particular LI district's pedagogical nuances. The schools they have attended have been safe and academically appropriate so I can't complain.
Support and additional help/work is important. You can't leave it to the teachers. So what if it means tutoring, even by you. Look at it like sports. You have kids who are so much better than others because they practice in their off-time. They may have a drive or be pushed by parents. They show up to team practice once or twice a week and have a coach who tends to X amount of kids all at once. You think that coach is responsible for the superstar being a superstar? Does it mean he's not doing his job if there are no superstars? No and no. Their job is to show direction but to excel they need to work on it outside of that. Parents, tutors, personal trainers, same thing.

When you go to a good school district, you are more likely to be surrounded by peers just as driven and that's where the positive is. It's easy to understand when you think of the opposite.

Last edited by ovi8; 06-06-2015 at 09:17 AM..

Old 06-06-2015, 09:38 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,989,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
How about returning to the previous methods of teaching? Sit in rows, not in groups 'peer teaching', eliminate social promotion, and stop with unfunded mandates. Eliminate tenure. My son had a teacher who was awful. Parents referred to their child's time in her class as 'the lost year' and rightly so. She was lazy, disconnected, and counting the days until retirement. She was an untouchable piece of dead wood whose fat arse effectively filled a seat -- nothing more.
The tenure is killing the students, the budgets, and the academic grades. Teachers WAY past their prime are rolling in, barely conscious, essentially clock watching. We are also dealing with teachers in their 20's who stink, got tenured, and are in it to win it as fas as salary is concerned. If we can't bust these unions, then we are going to have to go private. I still think the southern model works, in terms of county schools. The housing market is much more balanced,the teachers make the same across the board. The issue down south is they do not require any post ed past a Bachelors.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:25 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
why should the parents have to be teaching their kids at night that is just a sign the teacher did not do his/her job
The Asian model, which everyone thinks produces high-achieving students, has a different view. In Suzuki, the mother practices along with the child. It takes a village.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
The Asian model, which everyone thinks produces high-achieving students, has a different view. In Suzuki, the mother practices along with the child. It takes a village.
Suzuki is music only.

Asian kids also have a larger rate of suicidal thoughts.

I still don't understand why we didn't follow Finland's model.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:47 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
Suzuki is music only.

Asian kids also have a larger rate of suicidal thoughts.

I still don't understand why we didn't follow Finland's model.
Suzuki is one model of education that reflects the Asian cultural attitude that parents should be involved in their child's education. American Asian parents do not share the attitude that only schools are responsible for the educational achievement of their children.

I don't know if you would agree with the entire Finnish model. Very young children are expected to get themselves back and forth to school. There is no bussing. Finnish teachers are highly paid and of course no one there worries about paying for healthcare and there is state support for retirees.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Suzuki is one model of education that reflects the Asian cultural attitude that parents should be involved in their child's education. American Asian parents do not share the attitude that only schools are responsible for the educational achievement of their children.

I don't know if you would agree with the entire Finnish model. Very young children are expected to get themselves back and forth to school. There is no bussing. Finnish teachers are highly paid and of course no one there worries about paying for healthcare and there is state support for retirees.
Suzuki is a musical method. I've used it with my children. It's great. But it doesn't speak for the Asian education model.

I adore the Finnish model. They're very physically fit, the senior citizens are well cared for. You're taxed through the nose, but your healthcare and senior care are well taken care of. They focus more on the body and spirit, less on home sizes and keeping up with the Joneses.

Old 06-06-2015, 12:06 PM

5,052 posts, read 3,955,268 times
Oh, I remember when the Japanese school model was all the rage among education reformers. Then it was New Zealand. I am not making it up. Then, Finland. And for math, Singapore. LOL. Always places far far away with purported methods and curricula closely linked to that region's culture. And hardly transferable to ours.

Sometimes I wonder if folks will gin up an edu-crisis just to provide a ready (and often foreign and often expensive ) solution. Seems to strike a chord with some other (marginally informed) folks and the bandwagon jumping begins. Straight to the ever-changing land of the edu-fad.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 06-06-2015 at 12:14 PM..

Old 06-06-2015, 12:37 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Support and additional help/work is important. You can't leave it to the teachers. So what if it means tutoring, even by you. .
As I said, I don't mind the occasional extra help. Or drilling the kids on things like multiplication facts and what have you. But having to wholesale re-teach a lesson is not OK. Once in awhile? Yes. But (again, as I said) in the absence of a learning disability or some mitigating factor it should not be a regular thing. I have had years where it's been way too common to have to do that.
I have one kid with some academic and other issues and needs a lot of support at home, the other two do not on a regular basis and that's how it should be (and they are good students but not rocket scientists). Usually it's a more "put them on the right track" kind of thing than having to re-explain an entire lesson.

When I was growing up the most involved anyone's parents got in their education was typing their papers for them, I always lamented that my mom was a nurse, not a secretary like everyone else's and never learned how to type! And yet I had classmates go off to the Ivy League and other good schools all the same.

I agree with you about the peer thing. I've seen my son excel in math and science far more than he would've in GC, because of where we live. And he has a knack for those subjects, although he is a bit lazy about doing the work. He's been pushed to keep up in his very academic middle school. It will be the same for my youngest who is starting MS this year. I think it's a bit stressful and that's a tough thing to balance with teens but in the end, as my DH says, "A rising tide lifts all boats".

Old 06-06-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Oh, I remember when the Japanese school model was all the rage among education reformers. Then it was New Zealand. I am not making it up. Then, Finland. And for math, Singapore. LOL. Always places far far away with purported methods and curricula closely linked to that region's culture. And hardly transferable to ours.

Sometimes I wonder if folks will gin up an edu-crisis just to provide a ready (and often foreign and often expensive ) solution. Seems to strike a chord with some other (marginally informed) folks and the bandwagon jumping begins. Straight to the ever-changing land of the edu-fad.
Finnish model can be duplicated. They've been #1 in education for over a decade. It boils down to attitude adjustment and getting over this notion that America is the best. To have the Finnish model within our reach, and have Finnish educators willing to help us adapt their curriculum, yet create this new method just speaks volumes of where we are as a nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island