Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 04:51 PM

25 posts, read 37,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Was just gonna ask the same thing!

OP seems more concerned with what people think of them as a couple looks-wise than racial-wise.

No one cares. Have you ever heard of NY referred to as the "great melting pot"?
well, the truth is that society cares a lot about looks and if a woman that is unattractive or fat goes interracial, people won't really care that much

on the other hand if a woman is attractive and white and gets with a guy that is non-white and looks foreign, society will start to show some of its animosity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 04:55 PM

25 posts, read 37,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LITransplant83 View Post
I do know of a few interracial couples on LI with an Indian male and white female. My husband and I are interracial (he's Asian - Chinese - I'm white). I lived in Manhattan until relocating to LI when I married my husband, and truth be told, I did see more racism in parts of LI than the city. For instance, I now have a Chinese last name, and I'm often asked if I was adopted (rather than assuming I would marry a Asian man first); I've had people ask me if he "forced" me to change my name. He's been called "Oriental" more times than I'd like to remember. So yes, you and your wife might have to address questions that will make you wonder if people just realized interracial marriages are legal.

But then again, I'm comparing LI to a comparatively tolerant and progressive city, so I don't know if I'm giving it a fair shake. Point is, there is a vibrant - and growing! - Indian community on LI. It might not be as progressive as I - or you - would like it to be, but you won't be out of place, and you won't be chased out of town with pitchforks.
I feel like the struggles interracial relationships involving white women with Asian and Indian men face are unique. For years, white women have been dating black men so no one really cares as much about those couples since they're very common. Also, with Asians and Indians, people find it okay to be openly racist towards them since there is nothing really as wrong with making an Asian joke as opposed to a black joke.

The problems you encountered don't seem that bad from what I hear. Another reason I was concerned is because I knew a Mexican guy (who could easily pass for Indian) that moved from Pennsylvania and he was married to this blonde from Germany, he said people were very confrontational towards him there. Some guys would openly challenge him to fights in public and shout at the couple saying to the woman "you don't belong with him".

CNN's latino in America did do a piece about a latino immigrant who was beaten to death in Pennsylvania for being with a white woman. I just always had this impression that the northeast is not as tolerant and accepting towards interracial relationships as other regions of the country.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:35 PM

7,930 posts, read 9,154,161 times
So because a latino was killed in PA, you somehow now worry about having problems on Long Island?

You will be one of many Indians here. You won't stick out, you won't be special, no matter how "Heather Grahamish" your wife is.

Nobody really cares. They are too busy living their own lives.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:49 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamtheman2 View Post
I feel like the struggles interracial relationships involving white women with Asian and Indian men face are unique. For years, white women have been dating black men so no one really cares as much about those couples since they're very common. Also, with Asians and Indians, people find it okay to be openly racist towards them since there is nothing really as wrong with making an Asian joke as opposed to a black joke.

The problems you encountered don't seem that bad from what I hear. Another reason I was concerned is because I knew a Mexican guy (who could easily pass for Indian) that moved from Pennsylvania and he was married to this blonde from Germany, he said people were very confrontational towards him there. Some guys would openly challenge him to fights in public and shout at the couple saying to the woman "you don't belong with him".

CNN's latino in America did do a piece about a latino immigrant who was beaten to death in Pennsylvania for being with a white woman. I just always had this impression that the northeast is not as tolerant and accepting towards interracial relationships as other regions of the country.
I can't speak for PA (although keep in mind PA varies a lot by region, and the incident you speak of is from 7 years ago) but here on Long Island, not many people would have a problem with a Latino guy dating a white women, a white guy dating a Latina woman, or any other racial combination for that matter, including the OP's.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:52 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times
Oriental is not a slur. Asian can be someone who is Chinese/Japanese or Indian. So term Asian does not tell you much. But oriental tells you they are from the Orient.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:00 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Oriental is not a slur. Asian can be someone who is Chinese/Japanese or Indian. So term Asian does not tell you much. But oriental tells you they are from the Orient.
Rugs are Oriental, people are Asian.

However, for a certain age demographic, this is a hard habit to break and is not meant as a slur.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:06 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
"East Asian" is the term you're looking for

Old 06-12-2015, 07:08 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,447 times
I know a man from the Philipines who told me he doesn't find the term Oriental offensive at all. I think it's just one of those things where the acceptable term changes over the years. I'd like to know by whom, because all this tiresome political correctness is wearing me out.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:33 PM

283 posts, read 581,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LITransplant83 View Post
I do know of a few interracial couples on LI with an Indian male and white female. My husband and I are interracial (he's Asian - Chinese - I'm white). I lived in Manhattan until relocating to LI when I married my husband, and truth be told, I did see more racism in parts of LI than the city. For instance, I now have a Chinese last name, and I'm often asked if I was adopted (rather than assuming I would marry a Asian man first); I've had people ask me if he "forced" me to change my name. He's been called "Oriental" more times than I'd like to remember. So yes, you and your wife might have to address questions that will make you wonder if people just realized interracial marriages are legal.

But then again, I'm comparing LI to a comparatively tolerant and progressive city, so I don't know if I'm giving it a fair shake. Point is, there is a vibrant - and growing! - Indian community on LI. It might not be as progressive as I - or you - would like it to be, but you won't be out of place, and you won't be chased out of town with pitchforks.

Totally agree. Yes, OP. You will be amazed at the stupid things people say. Move to an area where residents are educated , and the population is diverse. You will be fine.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:29 PM

400 posts, read 761,524 times
The OP has some valid concerns, but he seems insecure. Why worry what anyone else thinks.. It seems that you yourself think that there is a problem with your relationship because your wife is white..... Maybe y ou think she is too good for you, or that everyone is envious of you.... But no one is really looking or caring for that matter. Just live your life and realize that there are all types everywhere... I know alot of interracial couples... One of them was an indian guy with a white girl.... I can tell you that he too thought too much about it, Like marrying white was some type of achievement. Its not, and no one ever cared except for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island