Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 02:33 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucew View Post
If you stay until the 1st all that she can do is call the cops, and without a legal eviction notice, there is nothing they can do. If she does call the cops, you will show them that you are moving out and they will probably just tell your LL to calm down and let you move.

If she does anything on the 30th (turn off utilities, harrass you)...you should call the cops immediately
I agree. She really has no way to "enforce" you being totally out on the 30th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 05:40 AM

3 posts, read 5,893 times
i agree that a legal apt should be allowed but the process is a pain. what does having a shed on your property have to do with a apt being up to code?most apt i have seen should be inspected because some are done very badly.it all comes down to the town looking for money.as far as i can see a single bedroom unit doesn't use town resources.i pay taxes on my home and don't use schools for any reason,pay for garbage pickup that i hardly use,the library ect..so who is getting over on who?

Old 07-17-2010, 06:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,366 times
I am a landlord with an illegal apartment I rent. Those who rent it are luck enough to have it because they can not afford anything else. You want to screw with me, go ahead. I will follow the law, pay my fines, have your stuff tossed in the street with the garbage by a Marshall, and watch as scavengers pick through your personal belongings! I'll even take pictures and send them to you. Go ahead, make my day.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:28 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,469,796 times
Just want to give an update on this old thread.... My former LL who thought he was doing us a "favor" by renting us his illegal dump. Well, the you know what hit the fan and we moved. (this was quite some time ago) His wife was a freaking nut case and he was just as bad.

Anyway, before moving, I called the town. They were there the following day. The inspector took a ton of pics of the inside of the apt as well as the property. I filled out a form stating what I knew about the property (and all 3 illegal apartments) and had it notarized. He got summonses up the wazoo. He went to court a couple of months later, thinking he was Mr. Hot Shot. The judge didn't think so. I told the town attorney I was more than willing to testify against him. The Town Atty let the LL know this and he copped out. He ended up with a $3500 fine for the illegal apartment and the mess the property was in, he has to pay back taxes for town services, and he has to let the inspectors on the property without notice.

LOL!!!! Made my freaking day. Had the lowlife kept his mouth shut or muzzled his wife, I never would have turned him in.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Just want to give an update on this old thread.... My former LL who thought he was doing us a "favor" by renting us his illegal dump. Well, the you know what hit the fan and we moved. (this was quite some time ago) His wife was a freaking nut case and he was just as bad.

Anyway, before moving, I called the town. They were there the following day. The inspector took a ton of pics of the inside of the apt as well as the property. I filled out a form stating what I knew about the property (and all 3 illegal apartments) and had it notarized. He got summonses up the wazoo. He went to court a couple of months later, thinking he was Mr. Hot Shot. The judge didn't think so. I told the town attorney I was more than willing to testify against him. The Town Atty let the LL know this and he copped out. He ended up with a $3500 fine for the illegal apartment and the mess the property was in, he has to pay back taxes for town services, and he has to let the inspectors on the property without notice.

LOL!!!! Made my freaking day. Had the lowlife kept his mouth shut or muzzled his wife, I never would have turned him in.
$3500 fine isn't enough for 3 illegal apartments plus the "mess the property was in." Maybe 1 month's rent total? Compared to him probably renting these 3 apartments out for YEARS and YEARS until you turned him in?

Do you know if he is renting them again? There's a good chance he may have decided to do so again if that's all he had to pay in fines.

How come all taxes and fees are going up ASTRONOMICALLY for "honest" people in NYS (and there's nothing we can even do about it except pay up after the new tax or fee is announced), but illegal landlords are still getting a slap on the wrist in terms of fines? I just don't get it.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:50 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,469,796 times
It was $3500 plus back taxes for all the years he owned the home. The fine was a huge thing for him since he was barely getting by, even with the rents (another moron who purchased a home he could never afford).

He is renting again and I may just make a phone call and turn him in again. For all the harassment and grief he gave us, he deserves nothing less.

I may just call the IRS and NYST&F on him, too. LOL!

Old 07-20-2010, 07:18 AM

150 posts, read 297,850 times
This story makes my day. Nice job!

Old 07-20-2010, 11:50 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,873 times
Why do renters not care about an apartment being illegal until they have a dispute with their landlord?

Old 07-20-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Why do renters not care about an apartment being illegal until they have a dispute with their landlord?
Not everybody is like that. I always cared about it and I never rented an illegal apartment in my entire life.

Back in the day when I was looking at apartments, I always asked if the apartment was legal. I had heard too many horror stories about the illegal ones ... such as renters getting suddenly kicked out of them if they got turned in, etc.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
It was $3500 plus back taxes for all the years he owned the home. The fine was a huge thing for him since he was barely getting by, even with the rents (another moron who purchased a home he could never afford).

He is renting again and I may just make a phone call and turn him in again. For all the harassment and grief he gave us, he deserves nothing less.

I may just call the IRS and NYST&F on him, too. LOL!
You mean you haven't picked up the phone yet? What are you waiting for? Get dialing! Screw that landlord. He's paying less property taxes and is a reason everyone else has to pay more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island