Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 07:39 AM

4,694 posts, read 8,723,790 times

Advertisements

Any methodology that excludes Rocky Point just can't be taken seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 11:40 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,554,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
The better parts of RVC like Old Cant, New Cant etc are not walking distance to anything. The shady parts of town are walking distance to LIRR.

Part of RVC are in a flood zone. Houses by Mill River often require flood insurance

RVC have an above average HS one of best on LI. But not all the elementary schools are at that level

Not all of RVC has RVC schools, Malverne, Baldwin and Oceanside schools could be zoned to your RVC house.

RVC has no beach.

The huge downside of RVC is sky high taxes and the better parts of towns nice 4 bedroom homes on good blocks with good plots in good condition start at 1.2 million.
I'm not sure this is really accurate on a number of levels. First, while 855 homes in Rockville Centre are in flood zones, there are over 10,000 households in the Village. In other words, about 1% (or less) of homes in RVC are in flood zones. I think that pretty much tells you all you need to know if the "not in a flood zone" box can be ticked.

Second, I'm not sure why its relevant that a few homes in RVC are zoned for other districts. The point was that the town has a great school district, not whether a handful of properties aren't zoned for that particular school exist. Like the non-flood zone properties, the overwhelming majority of residents would attend South Side, not Malverne or Oceanside. Particularly since any potential home-buyer would know this up front, this is really a non-issue.

Third, I really can't think of any town where every house is walkable to the LIRR stop and downtown area. Overall, RVC is quite walkable. Nearly every street has sidewalks and the majority of the town is within a mile of the downtown area and the LIRR (basically, anywhere South-West of the corner of Princeton and Long Beach Rd.). Of course the part furthest from the Downtown (Old/New Canterbury) is not really walkable to the Downtown, but you could say the same for virtually any village of similar size. Which town do you know of on Long Island where every part of town is walkable to a downtown area?

RVC has no beach, but there is easy access to Lido and Lido West and the Lake Hempstead State Park is in town. Plus, I always wondered what the appeal was of living in a town with a beach unless you're within a couple of blocks of the water. Living in (for example) Wantaugh North of Sunrise is the functional equivalent of living in RVC if you are a beach goer.

Finally, I don't know where you get your numbers from, but there are a ton of 4 bedroom homes on good blocks for under $1.2M. In fact, most homes in RVC are well under $1M. Just put in the RVC school district and 4+ BRs as a search term on MLS and you'll find that most homes on decent sized land (larger than 60x100) are priced in the mid $800s. Its a simple search and the fact that you're just tossing numbers out there without foundation is lazy.

When we were looking at properties, RVC was on the very short list of communities in which we were willing to buy and the reasons are more or less the criteria listed by the OP. Its a great, friendly town with terrific shopping and easy access to NYC. The only downside (as you rightfully pointed out) are the village taxes, but there are amenities offered that make the taxes worthwhile (or at least bearable). For example, you can probably shave $1k off your electric bill right off the bat.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:59 PM

573 posts, read 1,238,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
I'm not sure this is really accurate on a number of levels. First, while 855 homes in Rockville Centre are in flood zones, there are over 10,000 households in the Village. In other words, about 1% (or less) of homes in RVC are in flood zones. I think that pretty much tells you all you need to know if the "not in a flood zone" box can be ticked.
Not sure if that was a typo or just a quick calculation, but 855 of 10,000 would be 8.5%.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:09 PM
Status: " You’re not getting another penny out of me" (set 8 days ago)

19,729 posts, read 20,525,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
Any methodology that excludes Rocky Point just can't be taken seriously.

^^^^
This.
Thread is irrelevant.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:38 PM

22,634 posts, read 36,598,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unctorious View Post
Not sure if that was a typo or just a quick calculation, but 855 of 10,000 would be 8.5%.
Must not have gone to school in RVC.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unctorious View Post
Typo I meant less than 10% (its fair to assume that not every household is in a single-family dwelling, so 8.5% is probably a little low). Good catch.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:13 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,418,433 times
Plandome would be my first choice.

And the wealthier folk I know in RVC mainly send their kids to Catholic Schools.

Plus RVC does not give free parking to Residents at the train you have to pay for it. And RVC has something called a non-resident sticker for like an extra $200 bucks a year you can park at train even if you don't live in RVC. RVC rec center only charges a tiny bit more for a non resident too and nobody checks passes at any of their parks.

Also RVC has parking meters everywhere that even residents have to pay to use.

And the no one street parking is a curse and a blessing. Depending on your car situation. I have seen small houses in RVC with 50x100 lots where parents have older kids. Where the heck do you put cars? This aint Kings Point Long Island where folks have driveways that hold 20 cars.

I looked at an Old Cant house once that had a driveway that held five cars. But it was a single file driveway, guy had a few kids, every night they had to line up five cars in a row and every morning move five cars back out. meanwhile they had 70 feet of space in front of their house they could not park in.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Plandome would be my first choice.

And the wealthier folk I know in RVC mainly send their kids to Catholic Schools.

Plus RVC does not give free parking to Residents at the train you have to pay for it. And RVC has something called a non-resident sticker for like an extra $200 bucks a year you can park at train even if you don't live in RVC. RVC rec center only charges a tiny bit more for a non resident too and nobody checks passes at any of their parks.

Also RVC has parking meters everywhere that even residents have to pay to use.

And the no one street parking is a curse and a blessing. Depending on your car situation. I have seen small houses in RVC with 50x100 lots where parents have older kids. Where the heck do you put cars? This aint Kings Point Long Island where folks have driveways that hold 20 cars.

I looked at an Old Cant house once that had a driveway that held five cars. But it was a single file driveway, guy had a few kids, every night they had to line up five cars in a row and every morning move five cars back out. meanwhile they had 70 feet of space in front of their house they could not park in.
You don't like RVC because you saw a house that had space for 5 cars in a row. Got it.

If you don't like the OPs methodology or have something constructive to add, then please do so. Anecdotes about particular houses or the fact that residents pay $18 per month for a resident sticker to park at the train station is as close to irrelevant as it gets. The OP was asking about which community (using the criteria listed) was the best, e.g., which one ticked all of the boxes. RVC happened to do so. Particularly since the OP was talking about walkability, the fact that some residents send their kids to Catholic School (a common occurrence in other wealthy and heavily-Catholic towns like Garden City, despite excellent local school districts) or that the town has parking meters (a necessary measure, otherwise non-resident commuters would flood those spaces to the detriment of RVC residents and local businesses) adds nothing to the discussion. Also (not that it matters), the "non-resident sticker" to which you refer gives some parking privileges to non-residents, but only at a few lots that are much less convenient to LIRR.

Funny that you would pick Plandome though, given your complaints about RVC. You get significantly less property for your money in Plandome compared to RVC (even in Old Canterbury), its walkability is equivalent to RVC, there also is no overnight on-street parking, and very, very limited beach access. Plandome is a beautiful area and I'm sure a wonderful place to live - one of the best in Nassau County. But in light of your issues with RVC, your comments make little sense.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:45 AM

4,694 posts, read 8,723,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
You don't like RVC because you saw a house that had space for 5 cars in a row. Got it.

If you don't like the OPs methodology or have something constructive to add, then please do so. Anecdotes about particular houses or the fact that residents pay $18 per month for a resident sticker to park at the train station is as close to irrelevant as it gets. The OP was asking about which community (using the criteria listed) was the best, e.g., which one ticked all of the boxes. RVC happened to do so. Particularly since the OP was talking about walkability, the fact that some residents send their kids to Catholic School (a common occurrence in other wealthy and heavily-Catholic towns like Garden City, despite excellent local school districts) or that the town has parking meters (a necessary measure, otherwise non-resident commuters would flood those spaces to the detriment of RVC residents and local businesses) adds nothing to the discussion. Also (not that it matters), the "non-resident sticker" to which you refer gives some parking privileges to non-residents, but only at a few lots that are much less convenient to LIRR.

Funny that you would pick Plandome though, given your complaints about RVC. You get significantly less property for your money in Plandome compared to RVC (even in Old Canterbury), its walkability is equivalent to RVC, there also is no overnight on-street parking, and very, very limited beach access. Plandome is a beautiful area and I'm sure a wonderful place to live - one of the best in Nassau County. But in light of your issues with RVC, your comments make little sense.
in other words:

"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Old 06-16-2015, 08:47 AM

703 posts, read 1,168,997 times
I love that movie...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island