Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 10:55 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
As I've posted before, I am still using a basic phone (dumb phone) without a data plan. I have Verizon. The cost for a Verizon data plan is ridiculous. But the other carriers seem to offer lousy coverage in my area. I was wondering if perhaps one of the other carriers have improved, and then maybe I could upgrade to smart phones. From this thread, sounds like that won't be happening.
Since everyone's definition is different, what would you consider to be an affordable monthly amount for a smartphone with data plan? And you realize you have to be willing to fork out hundreds for a phone first or have it subsidized by locking into term?

I don't know if T-Mobile is still doing the $30/mo. for 100 min/unlimited data, but I see they have a $40: Prepaid Phone Plans | Best Prepaid Cell Phone Plans | T-Mobile

PagePlus (verizon network) has $30 & $40 plans: https://www.pagepluscellular.com/plans/

The Cricket deal for $35 for 2.5GB (https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans) sounds like a great deal too considering that's a sweet spot for data vs. cost. I haven't had to use over 1GB/mo. 90% of the time I've had my grandfathered 6GB plan, but then again I'm in front of a computer all day. 2.5GB sounds perfect for most.

You can buy a used smartphone from Swappa and just jump on any of those plans. First and foremost, if you leave Verizon's network, be prepared to be frustrated with coverage.

Last edited by ovi8; 06-18-2015 at 11:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 11:17 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,040,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByWayofCanarsie View Post
You can get a Verizon loyalty plan with 2gb of data and unlimited everything else for $60 a month; that's pretty affordable.
Can't find that plan on Verizon's website. Does it still exist? Would I be able to use 2 smart phones on that line (one for me, one for my wife) for just $60? Or is the $60 just for the data plan and we'd have to pay extra to connect the phones? Hopefully it wouldn't be $120 for 2 phones under that plan.

For what it's worth, I am currently paying $45 per month plus taxes and fees ($20 for my basic phone, $20 for my wife's basic phone, and $5 for the plan). According to Verizon's website, a 2 GB plan is $40, plus $40 per smart phone, so it would be $120, which is nearly triple what I am paying now. So I have a bad feeling that the $60 loyalty plan would also be $120 per month. But since you know more about it than I do, I'd like to hear more. Thanks.

Quote:
If you were willing to give AT&T's network a try, you should check out Cricket. You can get 3.5gb a month for just $35, and since it is prepaid, you can try it out without giving up your Verizon phone and make the decision to switch after a month or two. That may be a good way to go if you are new to smartphones anyway.
Though it sounds like I would have to give up my phone number.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Since everyone's definition is different, what would you consider to be an affordable monthly amount for a smartphone with data plan? And you realize you have to be willing to fork out hundreds for a phone first or have it subsidized by locking into term?

I don't know if T-Mobile is still doing the $30/mo. for 100 min/unlimited data, but I see they have a $40: Prepaid Phone Plans | Best Prepaid Cell Phone Plans | T-Mobile

PagePlus (verizon network) has $30 & $40 plans: https://www.pagepluscellular.com/plans/

The Cricket deal for $35 for 2.5GB (https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans) sounds like a great deal too considering that's a sweet spot for data vs. cost. I haven't had to use over 1GB/mo. 90% of the time I've had my grandfathered 6GB plan, but then again I'm in front of a computer all day. 2.5GB sounds perfect for most.

You can buy a used smartphone from Swappa and just jump on any of those plans. First and foremost, if you leave Verizon's network, be prepared to be frustrated with coverage.
Based on your post, sounds like I should stay with Verizon, even if it means staying with basic phones. Since you ask how much is "affordable": I am currently paying $45 per month plus taxes and fees ($20 for my basic phone, $20 for my wife's basic phone, and $5 for the plan) am I am honestly not willing to pay much more than that.

PagePlus might be an option, since you say it uses the Verizon network. But buying a phone at full price might defeat the price savings.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Based on your post, sounds like I should stay with Verizon, even if it means staying with basic phones. Since you ask how much is "affordable": I am currently paying $45 per month plus taxes and fees ($20 for my basic phone, $20 for my wife's basic phone, and $5 for the plan) am I am honestly not willing to pay much more than that.

PagePlus might be an option, since you say it uses the Verizon network. But buying a phone at full price might defeat the price savings.
I have discounts up the wazoo and still have to pay $85 after taxes for 1 smartphone ($30 grandfathered data) and 1 basic phone. If you want 2 smartphones you better expect to at least double your $45/mo. payment or it's a non-starter.

There's nothing wrong with used phones from Swappa. People upgrade their smartphones with the latest and greatest all the time so perfectly working and good condition phones are always available. You're upgrading from basic phones to smartphones. There will be no price savings any way you look at it. But considering what I have and use it for (much faster GPS, my music in every car, coupon finder, everything else a tablet does, etc.), less than $2/day... I like the benefits. Excuse me while I go play with my phone in the can.

Last edited by ovi8; 06-18-2015 at 12:50 PM..

Old 06-18-2015, 01:29 PM

62 posts, read 107,237 times
I have optimum free wi-fi across NYC and Long island, so no data fee.

and I use prepaid service, on average, maybe $5-10/month. So my annual cost on cell phone+message+data is $60-120, and I upgrade my cell phone every 2 years, about $300 each time.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:58 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun12 View Post

and I use prepaid service, on average, maybe $5-10/month. So my annual cost on cell phone+message+data is $60-120, and I upgrade my cell phone every 2 years, about $300 each time.
That's OK for the occasional user, but a real pita for most.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:56 PM

^ I liked the OOL free wifi but it wasn't everywhere they want you to believe. I wished VZW jumped on that too, but oh well. Anyway, you can't use that as a GPS for example, or inside most stores when you want to comparison shop online.

If you want to keep it the cheapest possible, prepaid service with no data fee is $80 for 2000 minutes for a year on Page Plus. Texting you can just do Google Voice/Hangouts.

Last edited by ovi8; 06-18-2015 at 07:07 PM..

Old 06-18-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun12 View Post

I also use an iPod Touch with Optimum Wi-Fi. But Verizon won't let me get a smart phone without a data plan. So I use a basic phone for voice and text, and the iPod Touch with Optimum Wi-Fi for internet access when I'm away from home.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:40 PM

258 posts, read 456,596 times
I'm on T-Mobile's $80 Unlimited LTE + $10 Data Match up to 5GB for a tablet plan, I've got an iPhone 6 Plus and an iPad Air with them. My bill with tax is $100 a month. Their service is great, I only have occasional trouble inside buildings and that's just because the iPhone 6 doesn't have Band 12. There are plenty of fantastic Android phones like the Nexus 6, Galaxy S6, G4 - and also many cheap ones - with LTE Band 12 that'll fix that issue.

There's also the $30/month 100 minute plan with unlimited messaging and 5GB LTE, throttled unlimited data.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:44 AM

406 posts, read 874,064 times
Quote:
Can't find that plan on Verizon's website. Does it still exist? Would I be able to use 2 smart phones on that line (one for me, one for my wife) for just $60? Or is the $60 just for the data plan and we'd have to pay extra to connect the phones? Hopefully it wouldn't be $120 for 2 phones under that plan.

For what it's worth, I am currently paying $45 per month plus taxes and fees ($20 for my basic phone, $20 for my wife's basic phone, and $5 for the plan). According to Verizon's website, a 2 GB plan is $40, plus $40 per smart phone, so it would be $120, which is nearly triple what I am paying now. So I have a bad feeling that the $60 loyalty plan would also be $120 per month. But since you know more about it than I do, I'd like to hear more. Thanks.

Though it sounds like I would have to give up my phone number.
You have to call up and ask for it; it's not available online. It's $60 per line. That's about as inexpensive as it gets with a smartphone.

You can also take your number to Cricket; but I would wait until you've tried it out for a month or two before doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island