Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 01:47 PM

481 posts, read 665,493 times

Advertisements

I have to say, I don't think Newsday is helping this lady. In another article
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2258216

she was more grateful of what she is getting
“I am so thankful to this country. It has helped me,” she said."

And it also mentioned costs comparison:
"but the federal government’s Medicare program spends about $106,000 for a kidney transplant per patient and $72,000 each year on someone getting dialysis, according to the U.S. Renal Data System."

Not like I would think she should even be eligible for dialysis, but just saying Newsday is trying to stir things up by not reporting whole story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 01:58 PM

137 posts, read 194,203 times
Yes, it's the sick illegals breaking the backs of the taxpayer, not big pharma or the health insurance lobbies.
The illegals taking those coveted fryolator, dishwasher and non-prevailing wage tree climbing gigs. Caterpillar can't hire skilled people fast enough for $50k jobs but can't find anyone qualified even with free training. HB-1 tech visas are necessary because our programmers stink and are few and far between. Kids would rather become psychologists or tattoo artists. Let's be real on the systemic problems and tone down the old hyperbole (oops, I just did the opposite, didn't I, lol). If we got our proverbial heads out of our hind ends and voted out the morons from both entrenched money grubbing parties, we could all have dialysis until we peed Evian water.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:05 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,234,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICDForumbites View Post
Yes, it's the sick illegals breaking the backs of the taxpayer, not big pharma or the health insurance lobbies.
The illegals taking those coveted fryolator, dishwasher and non-prevailing wage tree climbing gigs. Caterpillar can't hire skilled people fast enough for $50k jobs but can't find anyone qualified even with free training. HB-1 tech visas are necessary because our programmers stink and are few and far between. Kids would rather become psychologists or tattoo artists. Let's be real on the systemic problems and tone down the old hyperbole (oops, I just did the opposite, didn't I, lol). If we got our proverbial heads out of our hind ends and voted out the morons from both entrenched money grubbing parties, we could all have dialysis until we peed Evian water.
our computer progammers don't stink. They cannot work for the wages that companies pay to consulting companies that bring in people from India and Southeast Asia.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:27 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
our computer progammers don't stink. They cannot work for the wages that companies pay to consulting companies that bring in people from India and Southeast Asia.
Exactly. To say our programmers stink is complete and utter nonsense. It's all about the bottom line. It's much cheaper to pay Pakistani H1B 30k a year with little or no benefits at all then it is to pay a USC college graduate 60k plus benefits. Period.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:47 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm7 View Post
I have to say, I don't think Newsday is helping this lady. In another article
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2258216

she was more grateful of what she is getting
“I am so thankful to this country. It has helped me,†she said."
vs.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:49 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Exactly. To say our programmers stink is complete and utter nonsense. It's all about the bottom line. It's much cheaper to pay Pakistani H1B 30k a year with little or no benefits at all then it is to pay a USC college graduate 60k plus benefits. Period.
It is, but that Indian that made $10K in India 15 years ago is now making $30K - in India. And it's going up around 10% a year. At some point, and many companies have already reached this point, when you compare Indian programmer productivity vs. US programmer productivity you realize that the cost is pretty much a wash because that $80K programmer is as good as 2 $40K programmers and the benefits and other associated expenses are lower.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
vs.

Good Kennedy Quote.

Under the old 1924 INA it was "what can you as an immigrant bring to the country to make it a better place"

Under the current 1965 INA it has now become "What are YOU going to do for ME USA??"

Old 06-19-2015, 07:20 AM

198 posts, read 252,323 times
I think most of immigrants would love to pay taxes ... we are not willing to modify our immigration law to allow these people to pay ...

Everyone loves their cheap pizza and cheap landscaping so nothing will change

I also think most immigrants are among the most hardworking people in US. And to paint them as lazy people who wait for handouts based on one anecdotal case is ignorant.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:58 AM

481 posts, read 665,493 times
The thing is what do they get back in return if they file tax? Can't possibly give them legal status while other people waited years to get green card.

I think United state already very generous to illegal immigrants in terms of having emergency medicaid. I agree they are hardworking and pretty much all work for low waged job.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeroz View Post
I think most of immigrants would love to pay taxes ... we are not willing to modify our immigration law to allow these people to pay ...

Everyone loves their cheap pizza and cheap landscaping so nothing will change

I also think most immigrants are among the most hardworking people in US. And to paint them as lazy people who wait for handouts based on one anecdotal case is ignorant.

I don't care how hardworking they are, they came here illegally and broke the law they shouldn't be working here in the first place. To pay income tax they would have to be legally employed, which means we'd pretty much throw all our immigration laws out the window in order to accommodate law breakers while hundreds of thousands wait forever in the legal process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island