Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 09:25 AM

198 posts, read 251,188 times

Advertisements

Free Movement of Labour | Economics Help

It is so easy top sit on the high horse and point a finger at a guy who is trying to save his family and say ... you broke the law -- I was here all my life. .. to be proud of once birth location is the same as to be proud that you were born on Tuesday.

Lets face it you got lucky ...

Yes they broke the law -- but I would do the same if I had to to support my family

--- would not you do the same thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 09:35 AM

5,266 posts, read 4,707,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeroz View Post
Free Movement of Labour | Economics Help

It is so easy top sit on the high horse and point a finger at a guy who is trying to save his family and say ... you broke the law -- I was here all my life. .. to be proud of once birth location is the same as to be proud that you were born on Tuesday.

Lets face it you got lucky ...

Yes they broke the law -- but I would do the same if I had to to support my family

Typical argument. Yep I am lucky and so are you. That dosen't change anything. Are we not a sovereign nation with borders? Do we not have the right to regulate who comes in to our country under our own immigration law as does every other country in the world? We have immigration law for a reason, not only to prevent bad elements from getting in, but also to protect the finite resources we do have. There are billions of downtrodden poor from all over the world who would love to come here, should we just let them all in because they were "unlucky" and want to provide for their families? Get real.

Another question, under your logic, if a guy robs a bank to feed his family. Does that make it ok that he broke the law?

Old 06-19-2015, 09:44 AM

198 posts, read 251,188 times
I am sort of lucky -- I am a "legal" immigrant -- Great "Jewish luck" to be a "Russian Jew"

I am thankful that I did not have to jump through hoops -- got education and able to work and pay taxes.

The point is that these people are willing to work for it ... we most important resource a country has is people ... and we actually do not have that many --- ~300mill

I think if people are coming to milk the system you have a right to be upset...
but I do not think it is the case.

I also think that pushing people underground is not helpful to the overall health of society ...

Old 06-19-2015, 09:45 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,098,864 times
Quote:

If I had no choice, and it was between breaking the law and my family starving I would break the law. But I would also understand that there are repercussions that might come about for that.

We are not talking about people escaping from the Holocaust, or from a Soviet pogrom. These are people who obviously had the means to leave their country for the prospect of a better life. The US has a comprehensive set of laws and rules to follow to become an immigrant.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I am sort of lucky -- I am a "legal" immigrant -- Great "Jewish luck" to be a "Russian Jew"

I am thankful that I did not have to jump through hoops -- got education and able to work and pay taxes.

The point is that these people are willing to work for it ... we most important resource a country has is people ... and we actually do not have that many --- ~300mill

I think if people are coming to milk the system you have all a right to be upset...

I also think that pushing people underground is not helpful to the overall health of society ...
As a legal immigrant who is a US citizen I relate to and understand your situation, and appreciate the diversity and benefits you bring the US.

If anyone jumps the border or overstays their visa with an intent to permanently reside in the US, that's setting up a bad start to their life in the US.

Note that more "compassionate" countries (if you can call them that) like Sweden and Canada have strict rules about immigration, benefits, and assimilation into their culture. Here we have a woman who has been here 6 years and who is "thankful" to the US as she speaks through an interpreter. Has she tried to contribute? Don't know. Has she assimilated and learned English? Doubtful. But I guarantee she knows what benefits she's entitled to.

Had she been in Canada she would probably have been denied care and sent back.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:54 AM

5,266 posts, read 4,707,315 times
Quote:

I think if people are coming to milk the system you have a right to be upset...

Then you should be outraged, you did things correctly, yet illegals get to game the system and "skip the line" completely.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:07 AM

88 posts, read 125,464 times
Peconic you are absolutely correct. Both of my parents as well as my brother and I migrated from another country. Both of my parents recently passed. As I was going through some of the paperwork I came across the immigration paperwork that my parents had completed in order to be allowed to come to the US. This entire process took my parents 6 years before they were given a Visa to come to the US. I always hear stories from these illegals that they are fleeing their country because they fear of their life etc. Well I remember the horror stories that my father would tell me, that in the middle of the night doors were kicked in and entire families would be taken and no one would ever see them again. Mass hangings, people being thrown in jail and left to die. I guess the illegals of today feel they do not have to go through the process because of all of the liberals in this country that would just let them stay. Oh and by the way we could not come here unless we had a sponsor or someone that would vouch for us meaning that if our family could not support itself we would not rely on the government or welfare system. This is Disney World for all of these illegals, except they do not have to pay for anything once they are in. As far as paying taxes they do NOT want to pay taxes. They make money and sent it back to "MY COUNTRY" so they can build a house and leave without ever having to contribute anything, that is what they call the places they come from MY COUNTRY. They only see the US just like a leech sees the host they suck the blood from. Yeah they work hard so did my father, he felt honored to be here and become an American. These illegals are just leaches they have no loyalty to this country other than work for cash and sent it back to THEIR COUNTRY. If it is an illegal wage they will take it as long as it is not done on the books. Yes they do drive the wages down for everyone else in this country and this is only good for a few. You tell me if anyone else can live ten in a room with one bathroom to share? But again guess what it is cash money and no one to be accountable for but keep raking in the money and sent to back to THEIR COUNTRY so they can build a house and leave. Their net contribution to this country is a NEGATIVE. They will take what they can. They do not want to learn our language because they do NOT respect this country. I am also fed up with these liberals that want to fight for their rights. What rights? As far as I am concerned they do not exist. How do we even know who they are or if the name they have given is even theirs? I have worked my ass off and came into this country LEGALLY. I have lived in the worst neighborhoods, my father worked 7 days a week. At times I did not see him for a few days as he worked shifts around the clock. He was proud and worked for his family and never took a penny from this country. There has to be a guard at the door and our borders. How much or how many can we support? A leech is a leech is a leech no other way around it. I am an American and do not look at this other place I came from as my country. I am an American and have denounced the other place I am proud and do love this country and do not sponge off or suck the life out of it. Am I not a human, do I not care for my fellow person? Of course I do. But there is a right way and a wrong way and their way is the wrong way.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:21 AM

137 posts, read 193,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
our computer progammers don't stink. They cannot work for the wages that companies pay to consulting companies that bring in people from India and Southeast Asia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Exactly. To say our programmers stink is complete and utter nonsense. It's all about the bottom line. It's much cheaper to pay Pakistani H1B 30k a year with little or no benefits at all then it is to pay a USC college graduate 60k plus benefits. Period.

Huh? Respectfully, not sure what you guys are talking about? My previous employer paid the same "contract" rates no matter who they hired or where they were from. They just had to recruit internationally to find qualified talent. Many stayed on permanently and now own lovely homes in Hicksville and Dix Hills. They didn't come here to serve dosas, they filled desperately needed IT roles because they were qualified. Obviously this is now off topic as the illegals in question are a different brown skinned immigrant. Fact is, they are still doing the jobs we cannot fill w/ 'mericans for a myriad of systemic reasons. Until anyone wants to tackle immigration for real (and I'm fine w/ amnesty for those here then slam the fence shut...just to do SOMETHING to create a new baseline) but our 2 parties in charge will never agree on the color of a turd and have conflicting agendas, neither of which is to help natives OR immigrants, unless they are coming in with a Swiss bank account and a stake in oil concerns. There is SO MUCH money for domestic interests that is being funneled to those who then trickle down on us and the military industrial Ponzi complex. Whatever. My only beef with her getting the kidney is if she gets one a US citizen is waiting for. That pisses me off. The money doesn't.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:31 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,387,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
As a legal immigrant who is a US citizen I relate to and understand your situation, and appreciate the diversity and benefits you bring the US.

If anyone jumps the border or overstays their visa with an intent to permanently reside in the US, that's setting up a bad start to their life in the US.

Note that more "compassionate" countries (if you can call them that) like Sweden and Canada have strict rules about immigration, benefits, and assimilation into their culture. Here we have a woman who has been here 6 years and who is "thankful" to the US as she speaks through an interpreter. Has she tried to contribute? Don't know. Has she assimilated and learned English? Doubtful. But I guarantee she knows what benefits she's entitled to.

Had she been in Canada she would probably have been denied care and sent back.
I mentioned earlier that it's not true that most Latino immigrants don't speak English, and this woman using an interpreter does not make that untrue. And interesting that you mention Canada and Sweden, the immigrants there are no more assimilated than the Latino immigrants you refer to, probably less so actually, particularly with Sweden.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I mentioned earlier that it's not true that most Latino immigrants don't speak English, and this woman using an interpreter does not make that untrue. And interesting that you mention Canada and Sweden, the immigrants there are no more assimilated than the Latino immigrants you refer to, probably less so actually, particularly with Sweden.
In Sweden, if you don't speak Swedish, you could be a professional with many degrees and the best job you'll get is as a dishwasher, truck driver or factory worker. No different than here. In Quebec, if you don't speak French your opportunities are extremely limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island