Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 03:39 PM

9 posts, read 22,208 times

Advertisements

Hello, so I just bought a house on Eagle Ave in either West Hempstead or Lakeview. I'm exactly 3 blocks from the Southern and 4 blocks from the Lakeview LIRR station. Where the hell do I live? In West Hempstead or Lakeview??? Nabe is nice with a nice soup bowl of black, white, latino, and indian. Coming from Brooklyn I have no idea what section I'm in. My mortgage says West Hemp, but the train station stop says lakeview and when you get off the southern, the sign says 'lakeview' What the hell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 04:45 PM

159 posts, read 277,780 times
The Lakeview LIRR stop is in West Hempstead. Lakeview is officially on the other side of the Parkway

Old 06-18-2015, 06:34 PM

13,034 posts, read 17,909,398 times
Call the post office and give them your address and they will tell you.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:20 PM

151 posts, read 365,606 times
West Hempstead

Old 06-18-2015, 10:34 PM

172 posts, read 183,992 times
How can you buy a house without knowing where your house is located. It sound as if you are new to Long Island. Keep in mind, the location of your house will affect your taxes and where you send your children to school.

West Hempstead and Lakeview have the same zip code 11552. West Hempstead also has another zip code 11570. I'm sure by now, you know what area that you are living in...Read some comments about Lakeview and West Hempstead on this site.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:01 AM

9 posts, read 22,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow1990 View Post
How can you buy a house without knowing where your house is located. It sound as if you are new to Long Island. Keep in mind, the location of your house will affect your taxes and where you send your children to school.

West Hempstead and Lakeview have the same zip code 11552. West Hempstead also has another zip code 11570. I'm sure by now, you know what area that you are living in...Read some comments about Lakeview and West Hempstead on this site.
How can I buy a house without knowing what section it's located in? Very easily since I'M NOT FROM LONG ISLAND!! That's the reason why I ASKED. And no, I'm NOT sure since some threads say West Hemp and some say Lakeview. As for taxes, of course they are way more than what I paid in Brooklyn but I don't have school aged children so I don't care about the schools. Regardless of WHAT section I'm in, I like it over wherever I am. I actually had a few neighbors (latino, white, & indian) come over to say hello and welcome me to the neighborhood. That blew me out of the water because we didn't do that in Brooklyn. It was a nod of the head and you're on your way.

ANYWAY, regardless of what SECTION I'm in, I like the area. I don't see anybody hanging out by stores, no loud music, no hordes of people. Now if I can just get rid of this claw foot tub and antique, two faucet sink in the bathroom.....

Old 06-19-2015, 09:21 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,768,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConqueringLoin View Post
How can I buy a house without knowing what section it's located in? Very easily since I'M NOT FROM LONG ISLAND!! That's the reason why I ASKED. And no, I'm NOT sure since some threads say West Hemp and some say Lakeview. As for taxes, of course they are way more than what I paid in Brooklyn but I don't have school aged children so I don't care about the schools. Regardless of WHAT section I'm in, I like it over wherever I am. I actually had a few neighbors (latino, white, & indian) come over to say hello and welcome me to the neighborhood. That blew me out of the water because we didn't do that in Brooklyn. It was a nod of the head and you're on your way.

ANYWAY, regardless of what SECTION I'm in, I like the area. I don't see anybody hanging out by stores, no loud music, no hordes of people. Now if I can just get rid of this claw foot tub and antique, two faucet sink in the bathroom.....
Well, hmm..thats really not an excuse. Its called research. I wasn't raised in LI and before I met my husband, I couldn't point out Plainedge or Wantagh on a map..but if I were buying, I would make sure I knew the ins and outs of every neighborhood and sections of potential houses I wanted to buy before I plunked any money down. In any event, congrats on your new home and I am happy to hear you like your neighbors, thats really important as it makes living there much nicer and tolerable, plus diversity is a good thing.

Old 06-20-2015, 12:09 AM

11,538 posts, read 12,562,494 times
Quote:

Suburban Real Estate 101. Whether you ever have kids or not, school district is one of the biggest factors in home values. It's a must to consider if you ever plan on selling your home during your lifetime. If it's a buyer's market and sales are slow, being located in a school district with a stellar reputation will enhance likelihood of making that sale. The section of the town or village that your home is located in, absolutely matters in terms of home value and its appreciation or depreciation.

Old 06-20-2015, 03:49 PM

61 posts, read 152,046 times
It is West Hempstead. I grew up right around the block from where you're at. You're right near the horse stables.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:28 PM

172 posts, read 183,992 times
Default Response

Quote:

Please do not shout in your email. Obviously you are very angry. Don't take it personally. Many people who live on Long Island come from somewhere else. If you like your neighborhood, fine. Have a happy life.

But keep in mind, it does not matter whether you have school age children or not. Long Island unincorporated and incorporated towns are valued by the schools in their district. And this will affect your taxes and your property values. It is an unfortunate fact of life about the suburbs but that the way it is.

Calm down and enjoy your new home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island