U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2015, 03:26 PM

87 posts, read 76,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Why keep religion out of politics since we've now brought sexual practices into it? It's all politics now, well except for the important stuff like the economy and protecting the borders.
Religion has always been in politics, and it still is.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 03:50 PM

4,586 posts, read 8,032,857 times
Definitely, but if you're going to make religion part of your platform you better be ready for someone who doesn't or one who puts up rainbow lights around the White House.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:22 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,100,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I really don't care how you believe or if you're a bigot or not, just as long as you play fair and keep your religion out of politics, we'll all get along much better. Frankly I'm getting a little sick and tired of this country catering to the religionists. But I accept and tolerate religionists because in this country they have a right to be a religionist and i want to be respectable. All i ask is just keep the religions out of politics.i don't need a Bible to tell me that killing and stealing, and lieiing and cheating are wrong.
Religion has become part of politics.

This country was founded by "religionists." The first European settlers came to this continent for religious reasons. Western civilization is essentially founded on Judeo-Christian principles. Most of our laws stem from a religious document - the Ten Commandments.

How does the country "cater" to "religionists?" I think this is a red-herring argument created by those who thrive on dividing people against each other.

If we both believe that murder is wrong, why should it matter if I believe that law stems from a higher power and you believe it is based on common sense? We basically end up arguing because be agree. It makes on sense.

If a major office candidate does NOT bring religion into it, his opponent will. Or someone doing an interview will. You can't win. If a candidate goes to church every Sunday, he will be vilified as a "religionist." If that same candidate never goes to church he will be vilified as a bad person. Of course, these accusations only apply to one side of the political aisle. The other side gets a pass.

I don't care if someone chooses not to believe in a higher power. I also don't understand why it bothers people that I do.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:23 PM

16,966 posts, read 31,154,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
Still others may fly it because they watched a "Dukes of Hazzard" rerun and thought it looked cool.
Not so easily done, now that the Sillinannies at TVLand have pulled it from the line up.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:44 PM

4,586 posts, read 8,032,857 times
And as we white peoples know, there is no show on television that represents white Southerners better than The Dukes of Hazzard. I've often wondered if it was written, produced and directed by Louis Farrakhan.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:26 PM

224 posts, read 604,116 times
Regardless of whether you lean left or right, or are pro-gay or not, or PC or hate PC, etc. you MUST be a racist, at best, or at worst a complete moron, for flying a Confederate flag outside of your home at a time when even state governments in the South are denouncing it as a symbol of hatred.

When Strom Thurmond's son is saying it's a symbol of racism, and the flag is being taken down everywhere, and you decide to fly it proudly in front of your home, you deserve all of the negative attention you deserve. If I lived in Seaford I'd be pissed about this because it makes the entire town look like Howard Beach in the 1980s.

Just dumb people doing dumb things. I still remember when a kid in college proudly worse a Swastika patch on his backpack and defended it for being a symbol of peace dating back 5,000 years. I told him good luck explaining it after your head is bashed in by someone who knows it only for its popularized meaning, as a symbol of Nazi hate.

Funny how Conservatives call Liberals "idealistic" but meanwhile it's from their own wacky fringe population where some idiot would think to fly a symbol of hate proudly in the sake of freedom and then get defensive and say "it's a free country" when attacked. It's hilariously sad.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:08 PM

12,152 posts, read 11,673,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post

This country was founded by "religionists." The first European settlers came to this continent for religious reasons.
This country was founded by businessmen seeking gold and other treasures. Jamestown's mission was to find gold not establish religious outposts. Henry Hudson was looking for the northwest passage to China and her riches. The Spanish was looking for gold in Florida and the Massachusetts Bay Colony was founded by businessmen. Religious groups were some of the predominant people who chose to immigrate rather than go jail in the old country but it was business who financed this new world.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:12 PM

8,930 posts, read 4,349,188 times
He is just trying to stir things up. Just like some of the posters on CD.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:59 PM

13,191 posts, read 14,431,012 times
Holy crap I called it. Dukes pulled from TV, word on the street is All In The Family, F Troop and some others are next.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:29 PM

160 posts, read 264,848 times
Henry Hudson and Ponce De Leon didn't found this country. They used the land for their personal gain, or for the gain of their home countries. The founding fathers founded this country using religious principles, among other things of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island