Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 03:55 AM

5,048 posts, read 3,954,202 times

Advertisements

Are we certain every Long Islander knows the difference between a British flag and that Confederate battle flag? To be on the safe side nowadays I'd avoid flying the British (or even Australian flag for that matter) if I was so inclined.

And the PC police are hard at work demanding a change to Army Posts named after prominent confederates (Forts Hood, Bragg, Benning, Gordon, Lee, Polk, Rucker, etc.). Can I even print those names nowadays?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 04:44 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,410,646 times
Maybe someone can tell the PC police to start boycotting outside their nearest Dodge dealers because they're selling the Dodge Ram 1500 Rebel.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:28 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevar242 View Post
Only a moron would say the civil war was fought over the ownership of slaves.
Oh by the way the first slave owner was a Black man who bought others of the same color [ can I say color?]
It only became a racist symbol when the Klan started using it . Before that it was a symbol of Southern Pride, and many today still look at it as such. Nothing more. !!!!!!
How come I /we don't hear this much BS about the muslims in our country flying the ISIS flag.
The swastika existed long before the Nazi's as well, as a symbol of good fortune. Go fly that and see what people think of you.

The fact that the Klan adopted the confederate flag should be enough reason for people to realize that if the fly it, they are assumed to support what it represents in that context.

Yeah, you don't hear much about Muslim nuts in our country, just everyday all day on this forum and elsewhere.

Go read the secession documents...slavery.

I'm not "PC" I don't think the flag should be banned or anything...I just know if I see someone flying it, they are a fool. It certainly shouldn't be flown on government property.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:32 AM

186 posts, read 243,816 times
Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness

What ever happened to that?

What happened to allowing our Fellow American Neighbors to living their lives they way they wish to live it.

Do whatever makes you happy as an American, just don't tread on my life doing it.

We have become a brainwashed people throwing rocks at our neighbors from our own glass houses. Get a mind of your own and stop following blindly.

We are more involved with other peoples lives that are completely irrelevant to our own lives and it is destroying us at the very fabric we were all woven from.

I see different types of flags flying all over the place and have not a clue what they represent and why they are being flown. Just like I see different types of faces, dress, accents, religions, etc.. . It is not my business unless you're standing at my door step preaching your crap to me and treading on my life.

It amazes me how people have not a clue as to why somebody is doing something yet will strike them down for doing it.

Mind you're own business, leave your fellow Americans alone who are pursuing their happiness (whatever it may be) and go on with your own life in peace.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:58 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,410,646 times
The ones who preach tolerance are the most intolerant.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:47 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,053 times
Quote:
Go read the secession documents...slavery
More accurately, the economic need for slavery to support Southern agriculture and provide the North with raw materials. There's more but slavery was a driving factor for the South to secede and go to war.

Now for the North slavery wasn't the driver for war, but rather to keep the Union together no matter what. And to keep access to those raw materials.

So you really have two main reasons for war though one tends to be forgotten depending on where you were educated.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:30 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The swastika existed long before the Nazi's as well, as a symbol of good fortune. Go fly that and see what people think of you.
The symbol was inverted by the Nazis whose intention was to exterminate all deemed inferior in order to establish a master race. While the Jewish people comprised the largest group murdered at their hands, Catholics, Gypsies, and the disabled also perished. Slaves in the US suffered at the hands of some unscrupulous owners while some were treated with some degree of humanity. Most were black. None were exterminated to eliminate their race, however they were exploited and crucial to the southern (and to a lesser extent) northern economy.

There is no common thread between the swastika with the Confederate battlefield flag.

Quote:
The fact that the Klan adopted the confederate flag should be enough reason for people to realize that if the fly it, they are assumed to support what it represents in that context.
What about this? I fly an American flag outside my home. What does this say about me?

Quote:
Yeah, you don't hear much about Muslim nuts in our country, just everyday all day on this forum and elsewhere.
The media has been biased and 'news' reports reflect the views of corporate interests as opposed to straight facts. Given yesterday's Marriage Equality decision, the reports of two mass killings in other nations (didn't the POTUS say it only happens here) were buried. We hear from the media when Christians refused to provide wedding related services for gay couples. We hear when Muslims are offended by the smell of bacon cooking, restaurants advertising pork, Muslim cashiers who won't ring up pork products, about protests over proposed mosques, but far less when the the action of a Muslim is contrary to the well being of non Muslims or American society in general.

Quote:
Go read the secession documents...slavery.
While slavery "labor" is noted to some extent in each Confederate state's ordinance, article, or declaration of secession, the extent to which h it figures into secession varies greatly from state to state. Much of the secession documents center around Article IV of the US Constitution, which I've included below.

Quote:

Section 1.

Full faith and credit shall be given in each state to the public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of every other state. And the Congress may by general laws prescribe the manner in which such acts, records, and proceedings shall be proved, and the effect thereof.

Section 2.

The citizens of each state shall be entitled to all privileges and immunities of citizens in the several states.

A person charged in any state with treason, felony, or other crime, who shall flee from justice, and be found in another state, shall on demand of the executive authority of the state from which he fled, be delivered up, to be removed to the state having jurisdiction of the crime.

No person held to service or labor in one state, under the laws thereof, escaping into another, shall, in consequence of any law or regulation therein, be discharged from such service or labor, but shall be delivered up on claim of the party to whom such service or labor may be due.

Section 3.

New states may be admitted by the Congress into this union; but no new states shall be formed or erected within the jurisdiction of any other state; nor any state be formed by the junction of two or more states, or parts of states, without the consent of the legislatures of the states concerned as well as of the Congress.

The Congress shall have power to dispose of and make all needful rules and regulations respecting the territory or other property belonging to the United States; and nothing in this Constitution shall be so construed as to prejudice any claims of the United States, or of any particular state.

Section 4.

The United States shall guarantee to every state in this union a republican form of government, and shall protect each of them against invasion; and on application of the legislature, or of the executive (when the legislature cannot be convened) against domestic violence.
Quote:
I'm not "PC" I don't think the flag should be banned or anything...I just know if I see someone flying it, they are a fool. It certainly shouldn't be flown on government property.
There's plenty that has gone on under the American flag which people can ascribe evil to. Then there are those in other nations who look down on us for what they believe. Are we fools for flying it?

Old 06-27-2015, 06:12 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,233,451 times
Quote:
At a minimum, that person is a belligerent immature jerk and/or a moron, at the worst a racist. In either case they are to be avoided and don't make good neighbors. This is not judging someone because of their skin color, on things they can't control.... flying the confederate flag is something someone chooses to do and therefore should expect to be judged on.

Exactly. But most likely a racist.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:34 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,281,755 times
Quote:
Keep flying it, it's a no cost "moron detector". Just like those stickers on kids cars with some cartoon character peeing on something..it's like wearing a t-shirt that says "yes world, I am an a-hole!"
I think a good moron detector is when someone thinks that freedom of speech and expression only is given to certain racial groups.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:16 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
I think a good moron detector is when someone thinks that freedom of speech and expression only is given to certain racial groups.

No, a moron is someone who doesn't understand that you are not inhibiting a persons freedom of speech by calling said person the moron that they are. You can fly the confederate flag all you want, and other people can diminish the slave trade as something other than the horrific thing that it was (pretty disappointed in that person who seemed rational and sensible at certain points). I don't believe the government should tell them to stop being ignorant or dishonest, but they should expect other people to express their freedom of speech by commenting on these beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island