U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 02:29 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,643,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Watching media is hilarious - by and large, the same people who can't comprehend how the confederate flag may offend others are the ones offended that 2 consenting adults may decide they love each other and are allowed to get married now. It cracks me up when one cries about other's delicate sensibilities... only to whine out the other side of their mouth about their own.

Our government is as dysfunctional as our people. We deserve it.
No. I think people have the right to marry and the right to have that flag. I don't believe that flag is responsible for the killings. It's much deeper than a flag.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 02:41 PM

4,585 posts, read 8,015,222 times
As we continue to see the ignorant rising up.
Mayor Wants to Dig Up Confederate General and Move Him | Mediaite

Quote:
KKK General Order Number One: "It is therefore ordered and decreed, that the masks and costumes of this Order be entirely abolished and destroyed." NBF
Quote:
Easily the most controversial figure in the Civil War, probably the most controversial figure in American history, Nathan Bedford Forrest has always been the subject of fierce debate. Self-made millionaire who rose from poverty with much of his money made as a slaver trader; a semi-literate whose tactics and strategies as the most successful cavalry commander of the Civil War are still studied at military academies around the world; a brilliant general celebrated by the South and condemned by the North as the perpetrator of a massacre at Fort Pillow; a man who killed in combat 31 Union soldiers in the War but who after the War constantly had former Union soldiers visit him to shake his hand; and a racist who helped found the Ku Klux Klan after the War, but who also made a remarkable speech near the end of his life.

In 1875 Forrest was invited to address a meeting of the Independent Order of Pole Bearers, an early black civil rights organization in Memphis, at their Fourth of July barbecue on July 5. Forrest was told by many whites that he should not accept, but Forrest went. Just before he spoke he was presented a bouquet of flowers by Miss Flora Lewis, a daughter of one of the members of the Pole Bearers. Here is Forrest’s speech.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, I accept the flowers as a memento of reconciliation between the white and colored races of the Southern states. I accept it more particularly as it comes from a colored lady, for if there is any one on God’s earth who loves the ladies I believe it is myself. (Immense applause and laughter.) I came here with the jeers of some white people, who think that I am doing wrong. I believe I can exert some influence, and do much to assist the people in strengthening fraternal relations, and shall do all in my power to elevate every man, to depress none.

(Applause.)

I want to elevate you to take positions in law offices, in stores, on farms, and wherever you are capable of going. I have not said anything about politics today. I don’t propose to say anything about politics. You have a right to elect whom you please; vote for the man you think best, and I think, when that is done, you and I are freemen. Do as you consider right and honest in electing men for office. I did not come here to make you a long speech, although invited to do so by you. I am not much of a speaker, and my business prevented me from preparing myself. I came to meet you as friends, and welcome you to the white people. I want you to come nearer to us. When I can serve you I will do so. We have but one flag, one country; let us stand together. We may differ in color, but not in sentiment. Many things have been said about me which are wrong, and which white and black persons here, who stood by me through the war, can contradict. Go to work, be industrious, live honestly and act truly, and when you are oppressed I’ll come to your relief. I thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for this opportunity you have afforded me to be with you, and to assure you that I am with you in heart and in hand.” (Prolonged applause.)

After the speech Forrest thanked Miss Lewis for the bouquet and kissed her on the cheek. This type of familiarity between the races in public was almost unheard of at the time. Forrest’s speech was probably motivated by his desire to become a Christian. As his health faltered and his time on Earth grew short, Forrest sought to make amends for some of his deeds, and I think this speech was part of his attempt. This speech was also the last appearance at a public event by Forrest as a speaker.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:31 AM

16,966 posts, read 31,085,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
The PC police caused Ole Miss' marching band to stop playing Dixie.

Will the PC police remove it from Youtube? Am I a racist or a moron according to the PC police if I listen to or sing or hum or think about the song? I think it may offend some people.

Wikipedia: "Today, "Dixie" is sometimes considered offensive, and its critics link the act of singing it to sympathy for slavery or racial separation in the American South. Its supporters, on the other hand, view it as a legitimate aspect of Southern culture and heritage and the campaigns against it as political correctness. The song was a favorite of President Abraham Lincoln; he had it played at some of his political rallies and at the announcement of General Robert E. Lee's surrender."

I guess the PC police would want us to boycott sales of all performers who have recorded it such as Elvis and Bob Dylan. And certainly not enjoy the recent rendition by Kendel Carson.

Is "The Night they drove Old Dixie Down" next?
Followed by Dixie cups.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:32 AM

16,966 posts, read 31,085,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Errin1 View Post
I knew one of the victims and just returned from their funeral.
I'm very sorry for your loss.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:52 AM

3,715 posts, read 2,864,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetstash View Post
I lean right but the confederate flag should never have been allowed on government buildings after the war. I know it was a different time but it is a sign of rebellion and many people associate with the awful legacy that is slavery. That being said, there should be no prohibition for people (right or wrong) to display it privately or in the case of government, in a museum.
Back then, people didn't freak out over something so relatively harmless as a flag like they do today. People back then had stronger minds than people do today. If the men folk got upset over politically incorrect offenses, this country would have been nothing but a great big nation of thin skinned wimps and never would have succeeded as a country. You use an incorrect term today it could ruin your life as you now know it, or get you stint in rehab. I wonder if the Founding Father's are not embarrassed for us, if they can somehow see what is going on today.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:36 PM

Well we should admit that the Battle Flag over any state house that was raised around the time of the Civil Rights Act was pretty much a big F-U to DC. The time to take it down was decades ago as times changed.
But to stop selling it, not make cakes with it's design and people getting their panties in a wad over dead Confederates is silly.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:54 PM

332 posts, read 541,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevar242 View Post
Only a moron would say the civil war was fought over the ownership of slaves.
Oh by the way the first slave owner was a Black man who bought others of the same color [ can I say color?]
It only became a racist symbol when the Klan started using it . Before that it was a symbol of Southern Pride, and many today still look at it as such. Nothing more. !!!!!!
How come I /we don't hear this much BS about the muslims in our country flying the ISIS flag.
Go look at the succession resolutions passed by the states who rebelled, they clearly mentioned slavery as the reason they were leaving/

Old 06-30-2015, 07:22 PM

True, but don't think the North went to war to free the slaves.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:20 PM

12,700 posts, read 14,275,435 times
Don't worry. Pretty soon we won't have to worry about offensive movies like Blazing Saddles anymore, Looney Tunes have already been censored and I bet All In The Family will probably be pulled out of the retro rerun channels as well.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:58 PM

Or any Mel Brooks movie, or Little Rascals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island