Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 10:00 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,988,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner+2 View Post
I don't understand why the only choices are CPS/police or OMGGGG YOUR CHILD WILL DIE!!!! I also lived until a ripe old age and I rode my bike in the street and played in the front yard and did all of the normal things kids did before people were insane.

I teach my kids boundaries. No assumptions needed. But what happened to being neighborly? Just explain your concerns to the parent. I am glad I have such great neighbors. Trust me, talking to people works. You know the saying "you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."
Bingo!!

No such thing as neighborly anymore. It's either run the kid over or call CPS.

Remember when people thought cul de sacs were premium purchases because they thought their kids could, idk, play on them???

Sad times when neighbors consider calling CPS on you for letting your kids play. Really sad times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 10:32 PM

852 posts, read 968,418 times
Isn't that why people buy houses on cul de sacs in the 'burbs- so their kids can have the benefit of playing outside unsupervised, which is something that too many kids are missing out on today?

The concern for safety is going a little too far these days. At what point do you draw the line? I'd let the parents draw the line about what is an acceptable risk for THEIR children, vs. the benefits of being able to have a great childhood, instead of [like too many kids today] having every second of their lives structured through some adult-supervised organized activity. THOSE are the kids i feel sorry for, as they are being deprived of a vital experience, which is more educational than any formal education; and which teaches them how to be self-reliant; responsible; and creative.

Children deprived of that grow up to be 35 year old men living in their mommy's basement and playing video games.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:57 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Cul de sac or not.........children should not be playing in the street. That's what backyards are for.

It may not be a neighbor running over a child....it could be a delivery truck.......a visitor..........anybody.

Until the age of 5 I grew up on a cul de sac on Long Island. We did not play on the street. Our parents did not allow it. We played in our front, side and backyards. And back in the 50's most households only had one car so there was far less traffic.

My friend's husband backed over their son. It was a big story in the local news media.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:37 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Years ago, I had a neighbor who allowed their 7,4, and 2 year old children play in the street. It is also not exactly a quiet street during the summer. To make matters worse, the parents would get in their car and go run errands for 30-60 minutes, leaving them outside with the doors locked and no key for the 7 year old. Several times, when the 7 year old was left on his own outside (not sure where the other 2 kids were), he would knock on my door asking to use the bathroom. Other neighbors, besides myself complained to the parents, but to no avail. The dad was a nut job anyway, beating his wife publicly (never saw him beat the kids), but that's another story and they are long gone. A 3 year old should never be left alone to play in a road with the supervision of a 6 year old. That's insane. A 3 year old has no clue about making such judgments and even a precocious 6 year old cannot handle the situation when events move quickly. Staying in the yard is fine, but not in the road. I'd say something politely to the parents, but no I wouldn't call CPS. Don't be surprised if the parents get defensive and angry. I think that people here who are remembering the good old days of playing in the street have memories from when they were older, not at age 3. A 6 year old is a kindergartener. If you left your dog unleashed in a cul de sac and he got run over, good luck suing the driver. Toddlers need some sort of restraint when there are no adults around too.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:10 AM

3,947 posts, read 2,571,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Let them play in the street and drive carefully. Do you really want to be the mean old neighbor who all of the kids hate because you complained about them playing in the street? By the tone of your post, it seems pretty clear that they are not really I any danger, so you're talking about your convenience.

Let the kids enjoy their childhood.
She is a mean old neighbor because she is concerned about children in the line of cars backing out??

Really?

Old 07-01-2015, 06:46 AM

721 posts, read 1,566,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
The concern for safety is going a little too far these days. At what point do you draw the line? I'd let the parents draw the line about what is an acceptable risk for THEIR children, vs. the benefits of being able to have a great childhood, instead of [like too many kids today] having every second of their lives structured through some adult-supervised organized activity.
Exactly. Listen, statistically the inside of a car is a dangerous place for a child. But I weigh the risks as a parent and I decide that it is acceptable for my family. You know what I don't like? Little kids who have an open connection to the internet. But I would never call CPS bcs some other parent makes a different choice than I do. CPS is for abuse or neglect. The police are for an emergency or a crime, not as a way to shame others into making the same choices.

If you feel concerned, great, go ahead and share that concern with the parent.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:19 AM

519 posts, read 597,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Exactly. They are kicking the soccer ball around and when it goes out into the street they may remember to look for cars, or they may not given how often it happens. Do I want to chance it at 6yo? Nope. In the house while we may be outside doing yard work ourselves - we don't worry.

People are comparing to the past when everyone (including me) rode bikes in the streets. I don't know why it's not obvious there are many more distracted drivers these days.
So because you don't trust your kids to listen and you fear they'll go in the street, others are irresponsible parents? You could limit ball playing to the back yard only you know. You should work on teaching them boundaries.

What does being "a mom" have to do with it?

Old 07-01-2015, 08:18 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
Kids need the street, multiple kids from multiple famlies .they need to learn how to get along together and share that area in front of their homes .
Folks with nothing to do ,should insted of complaining should be engaged in whats going on, not combatting it.
If you've got time to watch what other people are doing "you need a life" and that might mean actully getting involved being a positive influence . Not a cranky complainer.
Get to know the parents, and let them get to know you ,early in the relationship before there is a problem , the first greeting is how you are remembered indefinately.
Some times adult influence from some one that is not paid to be your gardian or teacher, is very strong ,and sadly some kds need a mentor having no one at home to encourage them when the have no one else to confide in they can trust .
Never mind what they should be doing , Kids are oing to be choosing their own influences especially going to public school.
Those people there are the same as you neighbors.
I've had teachers that are serious jirks , and known bikers that are great cops ,good people.
Packaging is not always the product.
I was the youngest of 3 boys in our familly but on the street I ws the youngest of about 15 kids altogether .
I was 3-4 when one of my brothers was hit by a car an killed, having walked around the front of a truck he was 7-8 at the time . Dad did not hold the driver responsible , the boy ignored instruction .
This did not stop our play in the neighborhood .
We played on the tracks ad in the river bed and several plaes kids today can't even go .
Society is so ordered by women and the incompitent, it is no wonder children today are useless, and irrisponsible.
I hear even PE has been removed from school , stupid people .
Kids need the street ,

Old 07-01-2015, 08:20 AM

703 posts, read 1,173,425 times
I'm horrified.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:56 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
I live on a dead end street. The dead end is on the crest of the hill. And kids play there. A year ago this past spring a child was run over and killed by a neighbor backing out of their driveway.

A child running after a ball. Children don't stop and think of the consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: