Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 01:02 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
The coop I lived in (just sold last year) would routinely deny people that weren't married for risk that one would leave and the other would not be able to afford the maintenance

Having been on the board of our RVC co-op, albeit years ago, I would seriously doubt that you would pass the board and their rigorous questions. They will start by pulling both of your credit scores, if either is in the low 700's they will bounce you. Then it is tax return time, we asked for the past three years and if not supplied you were bounced. It goes without saying that you needed to supply the most recent w2 and a current check stub, employment history, as well as bank statements, brokerage statements and any other income. If you make it that far then there is the personal interview before the board. We still have friends on the board there and from what we have heard it has gotten even stricter in terms of employment history due to the turn in real estate over the past years.

As a private corporation we could essentially decline your offer because we didn't like the color of your hair. In addition, if there are special assessments, say for example new windows for the entire building you are responsible for that assessment regardless of ability to pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 01:03 PM

8,689 posts, read 11,076,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
The coop I lived in (just sold last year) would routinely deny people that weren't married for risk that one would leave and the other would not be able to afford the maintenance
not affording is a different circumstance.

Marital status is pretty much a form of discrimination if that is what they are basing on. Of course in reality, discrimination happens all the time. My Manhattan co-op was very tough to get in & there were quite a handful of non married couples in the building.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:04 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslander21 View Post
So I'm listening to and reading everyone's opinions over the last couple of weeks I've been throwing around some numbers on a two bed one bath co op.

With $150,000 down and $50,000 to put towards a office space rental for a few years for my fiancées practice rather than the $200k down on a home, a 2 bed 1 bath local co op would be about $1,400 with maintenance fees included , taxes, mortgage etc. that's pretty good as far as cost.

I'm curious if anyone can give some advice as far as if this might be the best decision rather than buying a home. I believe it could be. Once we have a kid in a couple of years it could get a little bit tight I would think.

Also when you sell a co-op and let's say you put $150,000 down do you get that money back?
Does anyone have experience in co-ops? We won't be able to afford a condo because a lot of the condos are out of our area and they are in the 300s and we would like a home one day so putting $150 into a co op would be a good investment we feel.
Yes, you just say "Co-op money back" and the duck who used to work for Groucho Marx comes down and gives you a tax-free check for $150,000."

Old 07-07-2015, 01:06 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
They don't look at savings in the bank as a plus just as a home would?

We make currently 4080 a month after taxes together with our current jobs.
What have you done to get a better job?

Old 07-07-2015, 01:10 PM

56 posts, read 115,152 times
Never ever invest money in a co-op.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:11 PM

8,689 posts, read 11,076,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Having been on the board of our RVC co-op, albeit years ago, I would seriously doubt that you would pass the board and their rigorous questions. They will start by pulling both of your credit scores, if either is in the low 700's they will bounce you. Then it is tax return time, we asked for the past three years and if not supplied you were bounced. It goes without saying that you needed to supply the most recent w2 and a current check stub, employment history, as well as bank statements, brokerage statements and any other income. If you make it that far then there is the personal interview before the board. We still have friends on the board there and from what we have heard it has gotten even stricter in terms of employment history due to the turn in real estate over the past years.

As a private corporation we could essentially decline your offer because we didn't like the color of your hair. In addition, if there are special assessments, say for example new windows for the entire building you are responsible for that assessment regardless of ability to pay.

Flip side if the co-op is too strict, that can push the prices lower to increase the pool of buyers or sit on the market very long..or if it was that difficult to buy or sell, that can result in an undesirable building for both buyer & seller. Of course, the high prized co-ops could be the exception to the rule (Dakota).

Old 07-07-2015, 01:58 PM

200 posts, read 210,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LITransplant83 View Post
Co-ops can, and do, deny you for anything under the sun. The biggest reason for denials are the financials: the rule of thumb is that a co-op board will generally want a buyer to be able to devote at least 25% of one's gross earnings to the payment of a mortgage and maintenance. You and your financee will be required to produce W-9s and paystubs as part of your co-op package. If your financee is starting up a new business, they will likely count her income as ZERO. They want owners with job security. If you do too much freelance work, or are looking to establish a new business, any co-op board that's worth its salt will reject you.

Also, co-ops traditionally look unfavorably upon unmarried couples (particularly if you're under the age of 25), and young people who have a lump sum payment for larger than average down payment, but not a steady income (screams "mom and dad are supporting me").

Your best decision is to focus either on buying a home or starting a new business. You simply cannot do both at the same time. Furthermore, if the $200K is your sole "nest egg", you would be ill-advised to put into a singular venture - either a home, a new business, or anything else.
She would not be starting a new business.
We both will work our full time jobs. She knows it will take years to build up her practice. My point was to put less money of the free 200k we are getting and to for a few years rent an office for her with the 50k and put down something of 100k to 150k if we wanted to have a lower monthly payment.

We will have over 100k in our own savings.

She is over 25 and I am in my early 30s.

People were saying in other posts instead of buying a house now it would be better to get a condo. I am realizing for whew we want to live we can't find condos.

Paying 1100 to 1600 a month, pref lower to 1200 would be a great start to build our jobs and not have the stress of a first home. That's what's on my mind.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:03 PM

200 posts, read 210,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post

Our credit is 750 and above for both of us. We have no credit card debt.

My brother who works as a self employer got a co op. How? My parents bought the co op outright and its in their name.

Him and his wife are extremely overweight. How come they weren't denied? Wouldn't that show they can't take care of themselves? How would they be able to afford a home?

Old 07-07-2015, 02:19 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Quote:
Our credit is 750 and above for both of us. We have no credit card debt.

My brother who works as a self employer got a co op. How? My parents bought the co op outright and its in their name.

Him and his wife are extremely overweight. How come they weren't denied? Wouldn't that show they can't take care of themselves? How would they be able to afford a home?

Quite simple actually. Basing this upon what your response says, Your parents bought it outright, so it was your parents credit that was checked not your brothers and the co-op is in your parents name not your brother and his wife.. They appeared before the board and not your brother and wife.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:25 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,758,868 times
Quote:
My brother who works as a self employer
is that really the way you wanted to say that?
Quote:
My parents bought the co op outright and its in their name.
hysterical.
Quote:
they don't waste money going to the gym?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: