Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 11:33 PM

11,540 posts, read 12,562,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
30+ years ago there was a sizeable Orthodox &/or Hassidic community in Ramapo. Some recent residents might have been displaced by gentrification and chose to move to another religous stronghold.

Not really. There were many more secular or less religious Jews there until the 1990s, when they were displaced by the Haredim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Basically what you're seeing there are people who were deposed from Williamsburg etc. because of gentrification and have found refuge in the cheaper real estate in Rockland/OC.

I don't think so. The Williamsburg residents are Satmar and the ones in Rockland are Skverer. Generally, these groups don't intermingle. Most Orthodox in Lawrence are not Hassidic.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:43 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,491,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I don't think so. The Williamsburg residents are Satmar and the ones in Rockland are Skverer. Generally, these groups don't intermingle. Most Orthodox in Lawrence are not Hassidic.
This. The Williamsburg Hasidic are a different group than the Kiryas Joel Hasidic (followers of different Grand Rebbes who were the two sons of the founder of the movement). "Regular" Orthodox are not Hasidic, they're just hyper-observant Jews. The actual Hasidic are closer in nature to a group like the Amish in that they don't intermingle much with the outside world. I've found them to be somewhat hostile to most outsiders, including other Jews.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:25 AM

19,004 posts, read 16,817,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
This. The Williamsburg Hasidic are a different group than the Kiryas Joel Hasidic (followers of different Grand Rebbes who were the two sons of the founder of the movement). "Regular" Orthodox are not Hasidic, they're just hyper-observant Jews. The actual Hasidic are closer in nature to a group like the Amish in that they don't intermingle much with the outside world. I've found them to be somewhat hostile to most outsiders, including other Jews.
I wish they fit the description you try to paint; they may live, teach and worship among their own but that's where the similarity ends. They do intermingle with the outside world and not in a nice way, pushy would be the kindest way to describe them. I base this on dealing with New Square, between them and the Monsey crowd they definitely do not fit any description of kosher Amish.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:27 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,558,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Not really. There were many more secular or less religious Jews there until the 1990s, when they were displaced by the Haredim.
There were plenty of less religious Jews in Rockland County, and the Town of Ramapo, for decades. No disagreement there.

I was basing my comment from my aunt's observation, who had lived in the Town of Ramapo since 1973. (Who knows, she could be wrong despite having lived there.) What I recall vividly was after they found their home in Suffern, the adults discussing having been advised to look anywhere but Monsey (religious steering?) as they were not Jewish.

I spent part of several summers up there (1977-1980) as a tween and teen and remember seeing the religious walking on Friday evenings and came to learn about the Orthodox in the area. The Hassidic Jews were found in Kaiser? Kayser? which is close to Monsey.

There were a few Orthodox mothers in the maternity ward at Good Sam when I went to visit my cousin in 1984 after she gave birth to her first child.

There was a population in Monsey going back into the mid-1950's; their presence is nothing new. The fact that they believe in having large families helped expand the community significantly. It wasn't until the 1990's that the Orthodox and Hassidic population was large enough to negatively impact the schools and challenge the Town.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:50 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,406,455 times
The most interesting part of all is "Hassidic Jews" are not Jews. They are not an officially recognized form of Judism.

They are like Christian Scientists, Scientology, Jehovah Witness to the Pope.

They are just a made up religion. Nothing to do with the Bible. Look at their outfits. Where is that in Bible. Look at crazy rules on the Sabbath. All made up stuff.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:01 AM

44 posts, read 53,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
The most interesting part of all is "Hassidic Jews" are not Jews. They are not an officially recognized form of Judism.

They are just a made up religion. Nothing to do with the Bible. Look at their outfits. Where is that in Bible. Look at crazy rules on the Sabbath. All made up stuff.
That's a very interesting because the muslims say the same about the Wahhabis (which is a bastardized version of Islam propogated by Saudi Arabia) who were the ones behind 9/11, they fund ISIS, and generally all the violent and vile $hit going on in the world. It's not true Islam and contradicts the teachings of the Quran and Hadith.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:15 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,406,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baklava1981 View Post
That's a very interesting because the muslims say the same about the Wahhabis (which is a bastardized version of Islam propogated by Saudi Arabia) who were the ones behind 9/11, they fund ISIS, and generally all the violent and vile $hit going on in the world. It's not true Islam and contradicts the teachings of the Quran and Hadith.
BTW Islam itself is not true Islam. In the original version women were equals.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:57 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,633,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
East Ramapo is in Rockland County, but for what it's worth, there is a LI school district which has been gradually gutted by a school board consisting of members of a religious group whose children do not attend public schools.

Five Towns See Renewed Tensions Due To School Sale | The Jewish Week
Can you be specific about what you mean by "gradually gutted"?

If you go to their website they offer the same curriculum as my wealthy NS district (AP Calc, AP Chem, etc...). According to seethroughny.net their teachers make the same salaries as in my district.

So, exactly how has the Orthodox Jewish membership on the board affected the high school?

No trying to be a PITA I really want to know. For years I have read about how the Lawrence SD is being gutted and decimated. How?

Old 07-31-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post

One hundred percent wrong.

You are confusing customs with religion. Hassidism is not a religion. It is a culture. Hassidics are Jews and are recognized by all Jewish authorities as Jews, as long as they have a Jewish mother. Just as Catholics in France may have certain foods, customs, songs to celebrate Catholic holidays that differ from the Catholics of Spain or Italy. They may have feasts and celebrations for different Saints. But they are all Roman Catholics. They all recognize the Roman Catholic Pope. As Jews migrated throughout the world, they picked up the languages and customs of their host countries and assimilated them into their own lifestyle. I once worked with a young Jewish woman who was originally from Yemen. She showed me her wedding dress. It was a colorful ornate garb with an elaborate jeweled gold headdress similar to what you would see in India or parts of the Orient. In her wedding picture, she had tons of gold bracelets and henna tattoos. The groom made his entrance on a camel. It was nothing like the wedding in A Fiddler on the Roof. But the religion is the same for all. The rules of the Sabbath are exactly the same for the Hassidic Jews, the Jews of Yemen (Jews of the Orient), the Sephardic Jews of Spanish, Portugese and Turkish descent, the Jews of Romania, the Jews of Ethiopia. The bible is exactly the same. A Lithuanian Hassidic Jew could go to a synagogue in Brazil or Iran and while there might be some variations, pray along with no problems. I find that Judaism is one of the most misunderstood religions by nonJews, as all they see are ugly old men bobbing up and down, crazy diets, inconvenience from school closings and people asking for time off from work. Do a little reading before you spread misinformation, including the good, the bad, and the ugly. Where art thou O' Walter? A Hassidic Jew and a Reform Jew may disapprove of how each "practices" Judaism and their lifestyles, but they recognize each other as authentic Jews and follow the same basic principles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island