Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 05:00 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times

Advertisements

We're thinking about it. We want to be further west since we work in the city, but if we were to look at Suffolk, it would either be Huntington or around Northport (specifically E.Northport).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 12:43 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
We're thinking about it. We want to be further west since we work in the city, but if we were to look at Suffolk, it would either be Huntington or around Northport (specifically E.Northport).
I think Melville, Dix Hills, and Babylon are nice, too.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:37 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
Try Kings Park.......its full of teachers, nurses and cops......all the benefits of a nice North Shore town at 2/3 the cost. We have been here 13 years and love it. Good luck!

Old 02-15-2008, 11:42 PM

706 posts, read 3,762,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Either way, we're buying something in the next year and a half until we get married. In the meantime, we don't plan on splitting up lol
Most people who buy homes together don't...

plan on splitting up.

*s*

Old 04-03-2008, 08:09 AM

3 posts, read 5,652 times
Great advice

We're ready to buy a condo in Danbury, CT. My wife makes 72k & I make roughly 40k. The thing is she had a bankruptcy almost 7 yrs ago & my credit is very good/excellent. Should we both apply, or should I apply alone, then how do we factor in her income, etc.?

Thank you!

Old 04-03-2008, 08:24 AM

244 posts, read 668,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saseire View Post
Great advice

We're ready to buy a condo in Danbury, CT. My wife makes 72k & I make roughly 40k. The thing is she had a bankruptcy almost 7 yrs ago & my credit is very good/excellent. Should we both apply, or should I apply alone, then how do we factor in her income, etc.?

Thank you!

You should both apply, because your income is not enough to support the mtg payments. Normally i say stay away from mortgage brokers, but in your case I would seek the advice of one who has experience lending to those with bankruptcy.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:14 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,642,340 times
Rachel84 -

Keep in mind that you will write off all the interest that would be on your mortgage, so you'll have about 15+ years where you can take that off and get a little present from Uncle Sam at tax time.

Also, if you pay one additional mortgage payment per year, you will reduce your mortgage cost significantly over time and shorten the length of your mortgage.

It's really impossible to time the housing market. No one has a crystal ball. If you decide to do a little house hunting, make sure you look in the best possible locations. That's where your real value is. It truly is about location first, then find the best house you can afford.

I'm not crazy about attached condos. They have their problems such as silver fish, termites, etc., and they spread from one unit to the next. There are common costs too. I suppose it's all about what will make you the happiest living there. Go for what you think you'll enjoy the most whether it's a house, condo, coop, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island