Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 08:04 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times

Advertisements

I'm 23 and my fiance is 26. We're getting married in a year and a half. We make just over 100k together (we're teachers). His dad was speaking with others around his age while they were out, and they told us how it would be a smart idea to buy a house nice while they're still cheap. They think this is the cheapest they will be for a while. My fiance and I have perfect credit, save wisely, etc. I don't know what we would exactly be able to afford, but I have been looking at houses in the low-mid 400s. Should we wait a year and a half, or buy one fairly soon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 08:36 PM

244 posts, read 669,026 times
If you've got at least a 30% downpayment, then I say go for it now. Rates are down and so are prices. Nothing will build your net worth over time like owning a home.

Budget very carefully though. You are both NYC teachers and you have access to the TDA which is guaranteeing you an 8.25% rate of return right now. (Real Estate can't even come close to this rate of return). You both want to maximize that. If after that is taken out of your paycheck and you add up all the expenses like mortgage, taxes, cars, groceries etc etc and you can afford it without piling on debt then DO IT NOW. Imagine you both saving $31k a year in your TDAs and also owning your own home. You'll be on the way to a solid early retirement. The key is your downpayment though. You really shouldnt have a mortgage greater than $275k. (Don't be shy abouting asking your parents to help).

You both have good credit...don't get suckered into a mortgage broker. Get a no point, no lender fee fixed mortgage from a major bank.

If you havent guessed by now, I'm a financial advisor married to a NYC teacher

regards.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:47 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,905 times
I would buy now if you are ready to do it.

Why ask parents to help ; sorry, but I strongly disagree with that.

Home buying even in this time, is a great idea.

d

Old 01-25-2008, 08:48 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,156,915 times
I would say wait till next winter. Yes the market is down right now. But a bad market never turns itself around over night. I would wait till next Feb. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:10 AM

210 posts, read 671,446 times
I hate to suggest this, but if you are buying a house with your fiance, especially when one of your parents is contributing, you should have some legal agreement in case the relationship does not work out and you don't marry.

Putting the house in the name of one of you because a parent is kicking in can cause resentment and jealousy down the road. If you'd like to, send me a Private Message and I can suggest an attorney who can help with this, and the eventual closing. I also know a great Broker who can assist as well.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:02 PM

Neither one of our families are contributing to it, as far as I know. We may get surprised and have them pay some, but chances are slim. But thanks so far for the good advice :-)

Anyone else, feel free to add your input :-)

Old 01-25-2008, 05:08 PM

7,928 posts, read 9,150,257 times
I bought my house with my wife just before we got married. Best move we ever made. Saved years of throwing out money via rent payments. If you're going to stay here for years, and I think you're a teacher so you will, don't worry about timing the real estate market perfectly.

A house is a liability until you sell it. Don't worry about what you think its worth while you're paying down your mortgage. Don't use it as a piggy bank. It is a home, a tax deduction, and a FUTURE source of income when you sell it.

Insist on a 30 year mortgage with NO PREPAYMENT PENALTY. Round up your mortgage payment to the nearest hundred with the balance going to pay off the principle to save paying thousands of dollars of interest over the course of the loan.

Good luck!

Old 01-25-2008, 05:18 PM

We don't have that much saved and can't put down like 40k on a house right now. Maybe we can just get a loan?

We also were thinking of buying a condo before a house, until we have kids. We would have the condo for about 7 years, and then buy a house. Do you think we should just buy a house first and forget about the condo idea?

Old 01-25-2008, 05:20 PM

I have a few mortgages and I view a mortgage as a saving scheme. If we had money in the bank we know we would spend it. Whereas we are been forced to pay the mortgages off and been forced to save for it.

Down the line when the kids are off to college, we hope to have the houses paid off and then we reap the benefits ; we are about 10 years from that now.

Its a wonderful investment if you use it right. Use it like a bank and spend and borrow all the time and you will get into trouble.

good luck
d

Old 01-25-2008, 05:24 PM

I dont know where you are looking, but maybe look in a cheaper area. Dont look for perfection, dont look for high end. Condos ; i dont think they appreciate ; ok, what does in this market. I dont know what areas you are looking in, but in this market you can be fussy, but not too fussy.
Our first house was a minute away from a foreclosure. But it cost under 100,000. It did us for 8 years. It wasnt perfect ; actually my dh and I cried after the walk thru ; we thought we could never bring our parents into that house. But we made it a home and it worked until we grew out of it. Luckily we had it paid off when we moved into a house twice as big.
good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island