Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 03:01 PM

200 posts, read 210,875 times

Advertisements

I have a question about possibly extending onto a home like a cottage or a smaller type home versus spending almost $1000 more a month to have a three bed two bath versus a two bed one bath and having to extend. Keep in mind the monthly payment is about $1000 less and we do have a good savings to build and I understand that a permit would be needed:

Recently I found a local home for sale which is a cottage two bed one bath for $280k. There are homes that we can buy that would be $399,000 and stretching the budget and giving us little financial breathing room, and the difference is just about $1000 a month.

So my question is has anyone on Here bought a smaller house that was two bed and one bath and have extended to create a third bedroom and what issues did you run into and what was the process like for you? Anyone have experience with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 04:50 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
*sigh* - let's start with, how much, exactly, do you think it costs to "extend" a house? Do you think it's free? Or do you think it might be costly to do that? And do you think it might cause an increase in taxes? And do you think that if the plot of land on the tiny house is too small, your plan to "extend" the house might be rejected by the town wholesale?

Old 08-01-2015, 06:10 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
I was coming up with a helpful response until I saw it was LI21. Is this mythical house in Muttontown or In the Hamptons?

Old 08-01-2015, 09:41 PM

200 posts, read 210,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
*sigh* - let's start with, how much, exactly, do you think it costs to "extend" a house? Do you think it's free? Or do you think it might be costly to do that? And do you think it might cause an increase in taxes? And do you think that if the plot of land on the tiny house is too small, your plan to "extend" the house might be rejected by the town wholesale?
I understand you're making sly and witty remarks or at least trying to but yes I understand that it probably costs at most 100,000. My fiancé and I talked about updating a home that would be updating and purchasing at 100,000 less that way we keep the monthly cost down more so then we would if we were to spend 100,000 more on a home. My fiancé and I talked about updating a home that would be updating and purchasing at 400,000 less that way we keep the monthly cost down more so then we would if we were to spend 100,000 more on a home. There is a home that opened up as far as a listing that is 100,000 under what we are looking to sell but it would need to be extended through the back and another room built in and some minor updating so it's just something that I thought could start a intelligent and respectable conversation without wity remarks.

Old 08-02-2015, 05:09 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Sewer or cesspool?

Size of lot?

Zoning?

Old 08-02-2015, 05:53 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslander21 View Post
I have a question about possibly extending onto a home like a cottage or a smaller type home versus spending almost $1000 more a month to have a three bed two bath versus a two bed one bath and having to extend. Keep in mind the monthly payment is about $1000 less and we do have a good savings to build and I understand that a permit would be needed:

Recently I found a local home for sale which is a cottage two bed one bath for $280k. There are homes that we can buy that would be $399,000 and stretching the budget and giving us little financial breathing room, and the difference is just about $1000 a month.

So my question is has anyone on Here bought a smaller house that was two bed and one bath and have extended to create a third bedroom and what issues did you run into and what was the process like for you? Anyone have experience with this?
First thing right off the bat:
If it is in Suffolk and has a cesspool, the permit process will have to go through the SC Board of Health because you are adding on a bedroom.

Are you planning on adding on or up?
Your foundation might not support an increased load above, and your setbacks might not allow for an extension.

Are you taking into account that the size of addition will increase your taxes?

Have you looked into other homes in the area which have 3 bedrooms and what they cost?

Old 08-02-2015, 07:12 PM

730 posts, read 1,658,115 times
My fiancé and I talked about updating a home that would be updating and purchasing at 100,000 less that way we keep the monthly cost down more so then we would if we were to spend 100,000 more on a home.

My fiancé and I talked about updating a home that would be updating and purchasing at 400,000 less that way we keep the monthly cost down more so then we would if we were to spend 100,000 more on a home.

There is a home that opened up as far as a listing that is 100,000 under what we are looking to sell but it would need to be extended through the back and another room built in and some minor updating so it's just something that

I thought could start a intelligent and respectable conversation without wity remarks.[/quote]

How about submitting a post that can be understood?

Old 08-03-2015, 04:53 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Also, many 'cottages' are converted summer houses meaning they may not be particularly efficient in the winter.

A solution to the cesspool problem is to add a septic tank sized for the anticipated bedrooms. Figure $10K for that exercise.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:48 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Is this little house per chance the yellow and white property on Crescent in GC?

Old 08-03-2015, 05:51 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,083,707 times
Let's just all agree to stop feeding the troll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: