Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 08:44 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,404,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS View Post
Thank you - Hopefully they test negative after the test...but i think i will feel best having it removed. also for the persons sake who buys this house after i am ready to move on.
Basement tile abatement-$2000 if you're lucky. IF.

Find something else to worry about.Seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 10:03 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,160,883 times
Quote:
lol

thats hilarious. its that video of sealing the area and hazmat hats etc from this old house that has gotten into my head.

Can asbestos be worse than smoking ?? they both apparently cause lung cancer...but one of them is banned while the other isnt.

go figure.
Asbestos isn't banned. Just limited in use.

Both cause problems after significant and long-term exposure to your lungs. However, your basement tiles are probably more like carrying a cigarette in your hand than actually smoking it.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:52 AM
HIS HIS started this thread

146 posts, read 278,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Asbestos isn't banned. Just limited in use.

Both cause problems after significant and long-term exposure to your lungs. However, your basement tiles are probably more like carrying a cigarette in your hand than actually smoking it.
Thats good to know - I know I will sleep like a baby tonight. Thanks...but I am still going to get the test from Home Depot and do it

Old 08-04-2015, 11:14 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,160,883 times
Quote:
Thats good to know - I know I will sleep like a baby tonight. Thanks...but I am still going to get the test from Home Depot and do it
I don't blame you at all. I've done similar things just for piece of mind. Best of luck!

Old 08-04-2015, 11:43 AM

198 posts, read 251,667 times
I paid the service to remove it in my bedroom -- I uncovered it after removing the carpet... Previous owners also built a closet right on top of it ... so I had to remove the closet too ...

I started doing it myself but it was breaking in pieces in my hands -- so I decided to hire a company to do it .... paid $1700
+ the cost of a new closet. -- all in the name of "peace of mind"

not too long ago I got curious one day and looked under the laminate and saw -- oh horror the asbestos tile -- this time around I decided to let it be ... may be one day if I am to replace those floors -- I'll do it ... but not any time soon -- still no peace ...

Old 08-04-2015, 04:43 PM

19,911 posts, read 20,638,697 times
Somewhere along the line somebody realized this was a cash cow and created an entire industry around under politics and fear mongering.
Yes, asbestos is 100% harmful. It will not instantly give you cancer upon looking at it.
It is prolonged, long term exposure that will get you. When this first became an issue the people affected by it were not health conscious and did not wear any type of protection other than work boots and gloves. Nobody knew it was bad for you. Just wait as the years go by and you find out how many things you are exposed to everyday and think nothing about them are going to be some kind of major health concern. Much of the food we eat is more of a real health threat than asbestos. So, be careful, be smart, use common sense and all will be fine.
You can sleep comfortably at night. Should you hire a company to take care of it that is totally your choice and a fine decision if you can afford it. Do what works best for you.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:17 PM

11,595 posts, read 12,625,222 times
Many homes on Long Island have asbestos. Should be ok, as long as it remains intact and you don't break it into dust and then breathe it in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island