U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2015, 07:20 PM

4 posts, read 6,173 times

Advertisements

HELLO, moved to levittown 2 years ago, was wondering if anyone owned a levit cape and dormered it or extended it( im planning on doing both). I got a few prices for a full dormer 3bd rm and bath plus laundry room and a ten foot extension in rear of house apx 140k. i bought my house @314 , mostly redone updated new kitchen and bathroom on 1st floor and all. two questions 1) is it worth it to do all this work meaning will i still feel my house is small?(currently 1050 sq ft whole house) , the dormer would match the downstairs and the rear extension would add 300 sq ft. worht it or not ? 2) if i did it and felt i wanted to move would i get anything close to what i put into it , 314 plus 140 =454k as a selling price.. interested on feedback from those who either decided to move or did the work on their house. also property is 60 by 100, witht he extension the yard is smaller , still a decent size but much smaller than now . I feel like with all the work and everything i would still feel the house would be small especially considering i dont have a basement. positive feedback please. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 08:03 PM

8,571 posts, read 10,021,877 times
Here's a 4 page discussion on adding a dormer to a Levitt Ranch http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...vit-ranch.html

Old 08-11-2015, 08:12 PM

4 posts, read 6,173 times
thanks, i saw that but i was looking for something a little more up to date.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:20 AM

17,528 posts, read 26,967,022 times
How can anyone tell you if your house will still feel small? Your house will be over 2000 square feet, that's a decent size house, but if you covet a 6000 square foot house you will still think it's small. If you aren't a hoarder and don't mind seeing your own family members every day, 2000 square feet will do. As you mentioned, with no basement, you should make sure that your extension plans include good, usable, convenient storage space. This is something that is easily overlooked when making the plans.

As far as what it's going to be worth, that's a fool's game. If you aren't planning on staying in the house for a good amount of time after you do this project, then it's not going to come back to you when you sell. If you want to know what it's truly going to be worth after the project, start doing some research on houses that look like that and what they are worth.

Moving and renovating are both a complete pain in the neck. If you enjoy where you live, have good neighbors and like the schools and amenities, then staying put and renovating is probably the better option. If you can easily afford an upgrade to the house you want, and buy move-in ready, and can find a neighborhood you want to live in, then that's a good option too.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:30 AM

10,812 posts, read 12,810,629 times
Just move. No good reason to stay on LI unless you are wealthy or flat ass broke.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:53 PM

60 posts, read 106,749 times
Default Levittown

Levitt11756,

I sent you a DM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or