Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2015, 12:51 PM

235 posts, read 247,716 times

Advertisements

I have about twenty or thirty books of general interest, clean, not textbooks, not Readers Digest Condensed. When Seaford has a used book sale, the tables are full of books culled from circulation, but the browsing buyers are relatively few. Wantagh is very choosy about what they will accept for sale. I understand the overload factor: more excess books than people who go to used book sales. Would someone know a public library that has good traffic during their used book sales? I'm not too happy with the idea that worthwhile books will get chucked out.
---
I have sold books through Amazon. Also, when I find that one of my books is being sold through jobbers on Amazon for $3 or less than the cost of shipping, I discard the book. I'd just like to get rid of these items in one trip to a library that will then place them on a book sale. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 01:04 PM

33 posts, read 42,844 times
I think the Vietnam Vets of America will pick them up if they are in the area with their trucks

Old 08-21-2015, 04:54 PM

400 posts, read 761,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe63 View Post
I have about twenty or thirty books of general interest, clean, not textbooks, not Readers Digest Condensed. When Seaford has a used book sale, the tables are full of books culled from circulation, but the browsing buyers are relatively few. Wantagh is very choosy about what they will accept for sale. I understand the overload factor: more excess books than people who go to used book sales. Would someone know a public library that has good traffic during their used book sales? I'm not too happy with the idea that worthwhile books will get chucked out.
---
I have sold books through Amazon. Also, when I find that one of my books is being sold through jobbers on Amazon for $3 or less than the cost of shipping, I discard the book. I'd just like to get rid of these items in one trip to a library that will then place them on a book sale. Any thoughts?
Also Salvation army will take them... Not sure what they do with them though.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:38 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Try a local Senior Center near you or maybe even a hospital.

Old 08-22-2015, 04:47 AM

8 posts, read 16,387 times
drop them off at a Better World Books drop box that you see next to a salvation army or a good will collection box.

BetterWorldBooks.com - New & Used Books for Sale, Textbooks, Book Reviews & more - FREE SHIPPING

Old 08-22-2015, 05:36 AM

33 posts, read 42,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Try a local Senior Center near you or maybe even a hospital.
I tried to donate books to a local VA hospital once. They refused to take them. Said they had too many books already.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:30 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,040 times
In the past I've dropped them off at a local library, they were happy to take them.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:02 AM

235 posts, read 247,716 times
Thanks to ToolBox123 for the reference to the Better World Books drop at the Bellmore Library. I recall seeing the box. I now must assemble a group of books to bring there. I much appreciate all the replies.
Joe

Old 08-24-2015, 08:36 AM

14 posts, read 29,363 times
too bad there isn't a org like BookThing (The Book Thing of Baltimore, Inc. - Welcome! ) in the NYC/LI area. I always visit that place to drop off books and get new novels to read when I'm in the Baltimore area. I think a place like that would do very well area here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island