Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2015, 05:16 PM

7 posts, read 12,991 times

Advertisements

We're currently renting in LIC where I also work (15 mins walk). Now, we're considering to buy a 2 bed/2 bath co-op as we are expecting a baby next year. Budget ~$450K, monthly payment (mortgage + main fees) <$3K

We originally started looking in Forest Hills & Rego Park because of the easy commute. Yet, the inventory is very low and market is too hot. The neighbor is nice but most buildings are very dated and lack of parking space.

Therefore, we expanded our search range. Visited both Great Neck and White Plains. Both towns seem to offer similar commute time to LIC with express trains to the City.

I like WP a little more because of its downtown and apartments there are priced lower than GN. Under my budget, we can possibly get a 3 bedroom. However, without an express train, coming to the city from WP takes about 1 hour. It's also far from any big airports. No good public school system and not sure if there are good pre-schools.

GN is nice. I like the school system. This gives us an option to stay in the same neighborhood when our child is ready for school. But GN is a little bit more suburb than WP. Not much to do in the downtown area. Under my budget, no chance to get 3-bedroom like WP. Also, there seems to always have traffic going to the city during weekends.

We wanted to stay focus while hunting for our first dream home but are challenged to do so. Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 06:54 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,213 times
If you are expecting a kid in future, I wouldn't even bother looking for a co-op. You will inevitably want to upgrade to a house, and co-ops in the suburbs are harder to sell (although in Great Neck, because of the LIRR line, co-ops there probably have better re-sale value). I would save up for a house.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:08 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
skip the co-op and try looking for a larger apartment to rent (assuming you really need more space) until you're ready to buy a house.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:48 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
As you have figured out, you want it all and nothing will meet all your criteria. Sit down and write up a list of "needs" vs. "wants". Do you value the commute over the good school system, or the parking over the downtown area for example. The one thing that you already know is your max budget, now prioritize the needs vs. wants and your answer will be a lot easier for you, and also easier for us to help you with.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:35 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
That broken English is hard to read.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:13 AM

22 posts, read 35,606 times
Downtown Great Neck is great for babies. There are four parks walkable to the co-op areas and tons of subsidized activities for the kids. The schools are great and the co-ops hold their value well. A big two bedroom two bath co-op is fine for one kid and many people with two kids have them share a room. If you don't need to be near the LIRR there are houses in the sixes and sevens a couple of miles north of the train with decent taxes.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:50 AM

592 posts, read 919,261 times
All things being equal, White Plains without a doubt. However, I would never do a Westchester to LIC commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island