Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 07:56 PM

755 posts, read 1,080,411 times

Advertisements

I wish I knew someone who did bathrooms that I can refer to you since you're in the neighborhood.

I'm working on a major addition right now. And I got quotes that were all over the place. A couple places looking for over 200K.

Keep on asking around for referrals. As long as you're not under any deadline, you can tell who's the good guy.

I forgot when I started, but I think it was jan/feb. Definitely still had snow outside. But I'm only about half way there now. But I may finish this 200K+ addition for a little over 100K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 08:43 PM

300 posts, read 553,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
Why do you say not to tile over existing tile? Will the new tiles eventually come loose? The existing tiles and floor are as solid as a rock, just not attractive.

I was expecting to spend around $20,000-$25,000.

Thank you
You shouldn't tile over tile because... You aren't suppose to lol.. Anyone who says you can is a half ass handyman or a do-it-yourselfer..

Rip up the the existing tile floor and start fresh. If it is slab on grade, thinset the floor and back butter the tiles and apply. If you are on a crawl space than do a mud job and then apply thinset. Please do not put wonderboard on the floor... Hate when handyman do that..

First of all... A 10'x12' master bathroom isn't a standard 5'x7' rip out and replace bathroom remodel, so people need to stop comparing the prices of there standard bathroom to a large master bath....

Plus it sounds like your master bathroom has a tub and a shower. Does it have two sinks? More fixtures means more rough and finish plumbing cost. That also means more chopping if you are a slab on grade. Also, we need more info? How is this room being heated? Toe Kick? Baseboard? Hydronic HVAC? Are you doing a standard tub or a whirl pool? Whirl pool means the electrician needs to run a dedicated line to the tub? What does your wall tile look like? Standard 4"x4" or 6"x6" or are you doing those large pain in the ass 12"x18"?? Are you doing decorative glass tile accents? Also where are you tiling? Are you tiling floors, shower and 4' on walls? Are you tiling floor to ceiling? Are you making a bench for the shower? Are you using granite tops? Any windows? Are the windows tempered? Are you adding a fan/light/heat combo?? All of these things reflect in price...

For your project there are people who will spend up to 40k and not even bat an eye. It is completely understanding though if you do not want to spend that type of money on a bathroom. It is a good chunk of change and everyone has there own budget and agendas.

Luckily, 25k is a good amount of money to still got a nice job done. The problem is that you can't really start going crazy with moving fixtures.. Find a reputable contractor from a referral. I'm sure you an get someone to get the project done from 25k-30k... I would find a mid sized contractor you trust. Not some commercial juggernaut and not an unlicensed professional. Get a a guy you like and ask him if he can give you a better price if you wait till the winter. The contractor will be very happy to sign your contract now and do your project in January when there is snow on the ground.

Last edited by DesignBuild516; 08-31-2015 at 09:05 PM..

Old 09-01-2015, 02:27 AM

172 posts, read 718,969 times
I had my bathroom done for about 6500. totally gutted,heated floors,new kohler tub,toto toilet. plumbing added for dub sink and new outlets put in for bidet and towel warmer. The price was from a chinese contractor that my cousin knew and he didn't speak a word of English.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:22 AM

400 posts, read 761,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmv138 View Post
I had my bathroom done for about 6500. totally gutted,heated floors,new kohler tub,toto toilet. plumbing added for dub sink and new outlets put in for bidet and towel warmer. The price was from a chinese contractor that my cousin knew and he didn't speak a word of English.
I hope you speak chinese

Old 09-01-2015, 09:32 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,329,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmv138 View Post
I am in the process of redesigning my kitchen (11 x 21.) Contractors wanted 45-60k the way I wanted it. The only electric and plumbing needed is move 2 outlets on the same wall 3 feet and add 1 new one and convert 5 feet of baseboard to toekick. I had the plumber and electrician I have used in the past come in this would run up to 2k total. The cabinets I like I can order on my own online for 8k (18k installed in stores) and get my brother and a friend to help me install. The flooring is $5 sq ft my plumber's brother does flooring he will do it for $2300 including supplies. The appliances will run me 5-6k and the stone will cost 5k. The backsplash will run me 1k for supplies my landscaper has a legal construction company. He will send 2 guys for the day $500 cash to do the job I pay for supplies. All in it's about 25k. I paid a designer to make me a layout and blueprints, best $$ I could of spent.

If you shop around hire different people things are way cheaper. Granted I have a flexible job and tons of vacation time. I can be home for all this. I could hire the Chinese guy or a Mexican for less unless you know the type of work they do its a risky proposition. As someone else said do the work in winter. I plan on doing my Kitchen in mid January when these guys are all out of work and will offer cash and get the price down.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:54 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
you could hire a rip out firm that contractors use to start with a blank slate. Then find a handyman and tile guy from there.

If you are paying for a pro maybe hire a real plumber.

Go down to Flushing for the tile and bring a person who speaks mandarian.

Ikea, Lows and HD are good enough for toliet, vanity etc.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:13 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
We had a complete master bathroom remodel done and the quotes varied widely. We had the garden tub, shower, wall tile, floor tile, cabinetry, huge wall mirror, (basically everything), ripped out. We relocated both sinks, had a large walk in/wheelchair accessible shower created, had a gigantic half inch glass wall installed, all new tile on walls and floor, all new cabinetry with towers installed, a 10'6" marble counter installed, new plumbing fixtures, and all new lighting. Total cost was about 13K for this gorgeous new master bathroom. If you shop around and are honest with people about your budget it's amazing what you can get done.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:40 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignBuild516 View Post
You shouldn't tile over tile because... You aren't suppose to lol.. Anyone who says you can is a half ass handyman or a do-it-yourselfer..

Rip up the the existing tile floor and start fresh. If it is slab on grade, thinset the floor and back butter the tiles and apply. If you are on a crawl space than do a mud job and then apply thinset. Please do not put wonderboard on the floor... Hate when handyman do that..

First of all... A 10'x12' master bathroom isn't a standard 5'x7' rip out and replace bathroom remodel, so people need to stop comparing the prices of there standard bathroom to a large master bath....

Plus it sounds like your master bathroom has a tub and a shower. Does it have two sinks? More fixtures means more rough and finish plumbing cost. That also means more chopping if you are a slab on grade. Also, we need more info? How is this room being heated? Toe Kick? Baseboard? Hydronic HVAC? Are you doing a standard tub or a whirl pool? Whirl pool means the electrician needs to run a dedicated line to the tub? What does your wall tile look like? Standard 4"x4" or 6"x6" or are you doing those large pain in the ass 12"x18"?? Are you doing decorative glass tile accents? Also where are you tiling? Are you tiling floors, shower and 4' on walls? Are you tiling floor to ceiling? Are you making a bench for the shower? Are you using granite tops? Any windows? Are the windows tempered? Are you adding a fan/light/heat combo?? All of these things reflect in price...

For your project there are people who will spend up to 40k and not even bat an eye. It is completely understanding though if you do not want to spend that type of money on a bathroom. It is a good chunk of change and everyone has there own budget and agendas.

Luckily, 25k is a good amount of money to still got a nice job done. The problem is that you can't really start going crazy with moving fixtures.. Find a reputable contractor from a referral. I'm sure you an get someone to get the project done from 25k-30k... I would find a mid sized contractor you trust. Not some commercial juggernaut and not an unlicensed professional. Get a a guy you like and ask him if he can give you a better price if you wait till the winter. The contractor will be very happy to sign your contract now and do your project in January when there is snow on the ground.
Why? Other than additional flooring (in this case tile) why would there not be a linear cost projection? Let's assume it's just another 35 sq. feet of floor area, how would that significant impact the overall cost? You're not adding a second toilet or shower.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:53 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,586,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Why? Other than additional flooring (in this case tile) why would there not be a linear cost projection? Let's assume it's just another 35 sq. feet of floor area, how would that significant impact the overall cost? You're not adding a second toilet or shower.
Additional tile, additional plumbing (depending on where the fixtures are), additional electric, etc. If you are talking about the exact same fixtures but a bigger floor areas, I suppose that is true, but that would be an odd bathroom IMO.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:02 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
you could hire a rip out firm that contractors use to start with a blank slate. Then find a handyman and tile guy from there.

If you are paying for a pro maybe hire a real plumber.

Go down to Flushing for the tile and bring a person who speaks mandarian.

Ikea, Lows and HD are good enough for toliet, vanity etc.
YES!!!

I did two full bathroom renovations myself over the past ten years with my most recent one being 2013. The cost of materials for both was under $5k. I did most of the labor myself and brought in a plumber for the rough stuff (I'm not good with a torch), neither time costing me more than $400. Even if I paid a skilled laborer $500 per day I can't make it anywhere near what the original poster was quoting.

I also paid for another in 2005 which was a full rip out, a vaulting of the ceiling, installation of a skylight, custom cabinetry and a Jacuzzi tub with the plumbing lines reversed (from outside to inside wall) and that cost about $13k. Please don't make the argument that costs have skyrocketed in ten years, that's ridiculous.

Unless you're going super high end with everything there's no way to figure out how it would cost anywhere near $40k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island