Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 06:02 PM

21 posts, read 41,706 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any recommendations for martial arts schools / programs suitable for children in central Nassau?

The kids are both ~5-6.

I'm open to recommendations both as to types of martial arts to consider and specific schools / instructors.

I'm open-minded and not looking necessarily to direct the kids into competition or tournaments, but I also don't want them in an environment where kids are listlessly kicking air. I want them to be engaged.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 01:16 PM

44 posts, read 53,739 times
You’d want to stay away from kung-fu, karate, aikido as they’ve proven to be wastes of time in terms of self defense effectiveness. I’d suggest Brazilian jiu-jitsu or a kids muay thai program if one is available.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:22 AM

321 posts, read 595,872 times
This is where you want to go.

Gracie Barra Martial Arts School - Jiu-Jitsu for everyone - Master Carlos Gracie Jr. - Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

The owner is a well-known black belt under former UFC champion Matt Serra. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a great self defense martial art for kids to learn.

My kids aren't old enough to start yet but I plan on starting them at the same ages that your children are now.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:22 PM

755 posts, read 1,080,226 times
I have friends in Nassau who will drive the kids to Whitestone in Queens just to attend Nubreed. I hear cops, rangers are training there. They even have a full cage in the back.

Queens, NY - Nubreed Martial Arts Academy - Whitestone Queens Area MMA

They say its a great program for kids. As they get older, they branch off useful martial arts. Like jiu it su ( mentioned above), jun fan kung fu (Bruce Lee), Muay Thai, etc.

Old 09-05-2015, 01:19 PM

321 posts, read 595,872 times
Location, location, location. The most convenient it is for the parent to drive the kids to the school, the more likely they're going to attend class.

That is why I recommended the Gracie Barra school.

As far as Nubreed goes... anyone driving from LI to Queens to train there is out of their minds. They could drive an equal distance and less time and go to Serra or Soca. If you want to go into the city you could go to Marcelo Garcia, Renzo, Miyao brothers... the list goes on and on.

Old 09-05-2015, 05:17 PM

755 posts, read 1,080,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMalo View Post
Location, location, location. The most convenient it is for the parent to drive the kids to the school, the more likely they're going to attend class.

That is why I recommended the Gracie Barra school.

As far as Nubreed goes... anyone driving from LI to Queens to train there is out of their minds. They could drive an equal distance and less time and go to Serra or Soca. If you want to go into the city you could go to Marcelo Garcia, Renzo, Miyao brothers... the list goes on and on.
A lot of parents are out their minds to do what they think is best for their children. i don't disagree. But jiu jitsu isn't for everyone. For someone, kickboxing or Wing Chun is probably what they think is a better fit for their daughter. a lot of us older guys grew up watching Bruce Lee, so if the money is the same, I would definitely give my kid the opportunity to learn from one of his descendants.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:14 PM

137 posts, read 194,323 times
Any place close to home that isn't a belt-a-month club. Don't pay for tournaments and belt tests. This is why BJJ and muay thai are so much better (besides being combat based). 5-6 year olds should just be learning some techniques and getting exercise and discipline, not chasing belts and parents banging out the credit card for extra charges beyond tuition. Near Mineola is Longo-Weidman (LAW) MMA in Garden City. Great w/ kids and what's more motivating than training alongside the best in the world?

Old 09-06-2015, 07:09 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMalo View Post
This is where you want to go.

Gracie Barra Martial Arts School - Jiu-Jitsu for everyone - Master Carlos Gracie Jr. - Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

The owner is a well-known black belt under former UFC champion Matt Serra. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a great self defense martial art for kids to learn.

My kids aren't old enough to start yet but I plan on starting them at the same ages that your children are now.
I thought he is with Renzo Gracie, oh well.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:22 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Judo and BJJ on Long Island!

Those guys offer Judo and BJJ, which is a plus plus.

Stand-up jacket wrestling is most important thing to learn first.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:42 AM

21 posts, read 41,706 times
Thanks for all of the input, everyone.

We ended up going with May Thai classes at Sitan Gym in East Meadow. The facilities are minimal, but the advantages are as follows (in decreasing order of importance):

- classes are often taught by Coach Jess, who is *great* with children
- kids are engaged
- classes are small
- not a lot of focus on arm-band / belt progression, which (as a non-practitioner, I find distracting for kids)
- not too expensive, though I'd appreciate a different pricing system for those who don't plan to send children more than 2-3 times per week (they use an all-you-can-eat monthly subscription plan)

Frankly, I hope that people reading this *don't* send their kids here because I'd prefer the classes to remain small :-P That said, having solicited and received several recommendations, I felt it only fair to close the loop with my own choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island