Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 10:25 AM

46 posts, read 62,645 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are getting married in 3 months. I'm from Westchester, he's from Riverhead. We bought a condo in Patchogue as a compromise between the families and lower taxes. We are looking for a single family home but are torn between the north shore (Smithtown to Miller Place) or moving out of state.

What I want: food, friendly and inclusive communities, seasons, good schools and a job (I'm a graphic designer at SBU currently), drivable to family in NY.

What he wants: Big property, low cost of living.

ANy suggestions? We looked at PA, but were in Quakertown area and terrifed by how rural it all was.

We're considering NC next. We have lived in Tampa, FL for 4 years of undergrad. I'd move there if they had fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 11:10 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
We moved to Raleigh, NC nearly a decade ago.

You have to decide if you really want to move and then you need to set criteria and see which areas match up well as a possible destination.

Although I miss Long Island, I wish we had relocated sooner, before starting a family and buying homes. It's truly laughable how much easier it all is living somewhere else and how much more sense everything makes.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
We moved to Raleigh, NC nearly a decade ago.

You have to decide if you really want to move and then you need to set criteria and see which areas match up well as a possible destination.

Although I miss Long Island, I wish we had relocated sooner, before starting a family and buying homes. It's truly laughable how much easier it all is living somewhere else and how much more sense everything makes.
Thanks NYC2RDU!
Can you tell me more about area and your lifestyle? What do you do and what neighborhood are you in? We are not your typical 20 somethings. Obviously most of our friends stayed in florida as opposed to moving back to NY/LI. Can you advise on where around you might be a good area for us to look? We can't get over how low taxes are. How do you spend most of your money?

Old 09-04-2015, 11:43 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Florida, North or South Carolina, and Georgia are probably the top transplant destinations followed by Texas and Arizona.
Pick your poison. Hot dirt or Hot Humidity.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:00 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,908,099 times
I would like to know too, so I know where not to move

Old 09-04-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
I would like to know too, so I know where not to move
I hear you on that. I do not live the stereotypical "lawn guy land" lifestyle (I think a lot of that is attributed to living in Suffolk county), but my topic pertained more to moving somewhere where people here shared the same frustrations and found success.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:50 PM

703 posts, read 1,174,069 times
I know a few people who stayed in Buffalo after college. It's very affordable and they have a nice grassroots arts scene.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:29 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,236,780 times
ever think of Ithaca NY ?

Old 09-04-2015, 02:52 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,908,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyLI View Post
I know a few people who stayed in Buffalo after college. It's very affordable and they have a nice grassroots arts scene.
Ugh, I recently went to school in Buffalo. As much as I hate Long Island, I would still take it over that craphole ANY day of the week!

UB is a good school but most of the city looks like a 'Feed the Children' commercial and lost in time. The only city upstate that I would consider living in is Albany and even that place is dull as hell according to everyone I know who moved there.

Even though upstate is obviously cheaper than downstate, they still suffer from high taxes due to downstate politics. If I was looking for an area that's similar to upstate then I would just go with PA since it has far lower taxes, similar lifestyle and the cities have somewhat better economies.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 09-04-2015 at 04:22 PM..

Old 09-04-2015, 03:07 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Upstate is OK - especially if you live in the area between Albany and Saratoga. You can be close to Albany for jobs and the area between Saratoga and Lake George has lots of fun stuff to do year round. However, you do have to like winter. Maybe even love it. It snows almost all the time, even if it doesn't always stick. Ballston Spa and Clifton Park are bigger suburbs up there but there are others too.

I moved to NC. I like upstate, but I hate winter and all the aggravation that comes with it.

My advice is - you're young. Take some vacations in places that have jobs for both of you. Be honest with yourself - could you see yourself living there? And ask that question without comparing it to what you're used to. Take the place at face value. Then see if you can get jobs there. And then you can think about moving.

Good luck. Like NYC2RDU my only regret is not moving years earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island