U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2015, 06:20 PM

395 posts, read 340,758 times

Advertisements

Hey Dumbass! The book takes place in West Virginia...
Rate this post positively

Old 09-18-2015, 10:48 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,044,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelzLuv View Post
This book the The Mothman Prophecies Paperback – by John A. Keel is about the mothman and it says that it goes to mt. misery and huntington in suffolk county, ny. They even made a movie about it.
Book and movie took place in Point Pleasant, West Virginia. That is nowhere near Suffolk County, or Long Island.

Again, Mt. Misery is a ROAD in Huntington. It is not a place. Something can happen on Mt. Misery Road, but if it happens IN Mt. Misery, it would be in New Jersey. Oddly, there is a Methodist retreat camp there. Are you suggesting that Methodists are connected to Mothmen?

Perhaps you should bring your questions to the New Jersey or West Virginia forums. Those would be more appropriate for questions relating to Mothmen or Mt. Misery (the place, not the road).

Old 09-19-2015, 01:59 AM

1,463 posts, read 1,830,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I was wondering...are the mods on vacation??? Letting these ridiculous threads go on and on.
I thought about making a post about it, but as far as they're concerned, which is absolutely idiotic, ManiacAngelLuvz isn't breaking any forum rules. Much like Walter Greenspan...technically, he was fine, but realistically we all wanted him to ****. I'm sure I'll get at minmum, a temp ban for "badmouthing" Walter, who, although is generally an OK guy, was one of CDLI's most annoying posters.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:05 AM

10 posts, read 7,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
Book and movie took place in Point Pleasant, West Virginia. That is nowhere near Suffolk County, or Long Island.

Again, Mt. Misery is a ROAD in Huntington. It is not a place. Something can happen on Mt. Misery Road, but if it happens IN Mt. Misery, it would be in New Jersey. Oddly, there is a Methodist retreat camp there. Are you suggesting that Methodists are connected to Mothmen?

Perhaps you should bring your questions to the New Jersey or West Virginia forums. Those would be more appropriate for questions relating to Mothmen or Mt. Misery (the place, not the road).
Clearly you haven't read the book! It takes place in Virginia but it contains many references to Suffolk County, NY and specific content about Mount Misery and Sweet Hollow Road. Mothman is a common visitor to the Mount and those who know commune with him there.

Also, Mount Misery IS a place! A sacred place to those of my religion - which ain't Methodist ;-)

To all of you:
ᛁ᛫ᚲᚢᚱᛋᛖ᛫ᚨᛚᛚ᛫ᚦᛟᛋᛖ᛫ᛟᚾ᛫ᚦᛖ᛫ᚲᛁᛏᛃᛞᚨᛏᚨ᛫ᛚᛟᛜ᛫ᛁᛋᛚᚨᚾᛞ᛫ᚠᛟᚱᚢᛗ᛫ᛖ ᛋᛈᛖᚲᛁᚨᛚᛚᛃ᛫ᛈᛟᚱᚺᛚᛁᚷᚺᛏᛋ᛫ᚨᚾᛞ᛫ᛁ᛫ᚺᛖᛪ᛫ᛃᛟᚢ᛫ᚨᛚᛚ᛫ᛏᛟ᛫ᛒᛖ᛫ᛞᚨᛗᛗᛖ ᛞ᛫ᛒᛃ᛫ᛟᚢᚱ᛫ᚺᛠᛞ᛫ᚹᛟᛏᚷ᛫ᚾᚨᛜᚲᛃ᛫ᚦᛖᚱᛠᛞᛖᚱ

Old 09-19-2015, 02:42 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,067,417 times
Esti un prost!

Old 09-21-2015, 01:16 PM

225 posts, read 258,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJS Alex View Post
Hey Dumbass! The book takes place in West Virginia...
Do not call me names like dumb. It is against the rules. It is in west virginia but it also talks about suffolk county, ny and mt. misery and the link here even says so and you can read about from this man alexander who read the book.
Amazon.com: Alexander M. Moir "Lt. Moir"'s review of The Mothman Prophecies

If you dont know and you want to be mean just ignore ok.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:

Mt. Misery IS a place and I dont know why you will deny it. Do you not want people to know? It is all historical. It is not in new jersy it is in suffolk county, ny and it is true. You can read about it.

Also that book IS about mt. misery and you can even read the book here in google AND see that it is about mt. misery and that mt. misery IS a real place in suffolk county, ny.

https://books.google.com/books?id=RH...othman&f=false

It says thet it is there and it has woods and paths and that there are mansions. It says what happens and that there was a man named simpson who lived there and he was the secretery of war. It is all historical. You just do not know and you should learn!

Old 09-21-2015, 04:28 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,044,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelzLuv View Post
Mt. Misery IS a place and I dont know why you will deny it. Do you not want people to know? It is all historical. It is not in new jersy it is in suffolk county, ny and it is true. You can read about it.

Also that book IS about mt. misery and you can even read the book here in google AND see that it is about mt. misery and that mt. misery IS a real place in suffolk county, ny.

https://books.google.com/books?id=RH...othman&f=false

It says thet it is there and it has woods and paths and that there are mansions. It says what happens and that there was a man named simpson who lived there and he was the secretery of war. It is all historical. You just do not know and you should learn!
Thank you for providing information which totally discredits the book.

The highest point on Long Island is considered to be Jayne's Hill (401ft asl - also known as High Hill, or Jane's Hill). It is in West Hills. Mt. Misery Road is relatively close (perhaps a mile or two). There is not "hill" or "mount" designated at Mt. Misery.

The book in your link refers to Old Country Road being at the "base of Mt. Misery." Old Country Road passes the southern terminus of Mt. Misery Road. It does not pass anywhere near Jayne's Hill.

You will not find "Mt. Misery" on a map.

You shouldn't get your information from fictional novels. No matter how much they call the book "a true story" it is _based_ on people's accounts - accounts which have been disputed and explained away. With the references you cite to "Mt. Misery" in that book, I have to believe the authors did not do their homework.

I live on Long Island. I have been from one end of Mt. Misery Road to the other (including the break in the middle where the park trail goes through. I have friends in the area. I have been through all the trails in West Hills Park several times. I have been to Jayne's Hill. I have worked on trail and feature mapping projects in the area for some local organizations.

Look at Google maps. Look at the USGS survey maps. You will find Jaynes' Hill/High Hill. You will find Mt. Misery Road (exactly where I say it is), but you will not find a Mt. Misery in that area. I know you are afraid to come to the area (which is probably a good thing for us locals) but, if you did, you would not be able to find any geographic feature which you could call "Mt. Misery." Jayne's Hill is discussed in the thread, which also features the USGS map in one of the posts.

Jayne's Hill , 400ft above sea level...,

Believe in mothmen all you want. But please stop spreading wrong and libelous information about West Hills.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Thank you for providing information which totally discredits the book.

The highest point on Long Island is considered to be Jayne's Hill (401ft asl - also known as High Hill, or Jane's Hill). It is in West Hills. Mt. Misery Road is relatively close (perhaps a mile or two). There is not "hill" or "mount" designated at Mt. Misery.

The book in your link refers to Old Country Road being at the "base of Mt. Misery." Old Country Road passes the southern terminus of Mt. Misery Road. It does not pass anywhere near Jayne's Hill.

You will not find "Mt. Misery" on a map.

You shouldn't get your information from fictional novels. No matter how much they call the book "a true story" it is _based_ on people's accounts - accounts which have been disputed and explained away. With the references you cite to "Mt. Misery" in that book, I have to believe the authors did not do their homework.

I live on Long Island. I have been from one end of Mt. Misery Road to the other (including the break in the middle where the park trail goes through. I have friends in the area. I have been through all the trails in West Hills Park several times. I have been to Jayne's Hill. I have worked on trail and feature mapping projects in the area for some local organizations.

Look at Google maps. Look at the USGS survey maps. You will find Jaynes' Hill/High Hill. You will find Mt. Misery Road (exactly where I say it is), but you will not find a Mt. Misery in that area. I know you are afraid to come to the area (which is probably a good thing for us locals) but, if you did, you would not be able to find any geographic feature which you could call "Mt. Misery." Jayne's Hill is discussed in the thread, which also features the USGS map in one of the posts.

Jayne's Hill , 400ft above sea level...,

Believe in mothmen all you want. But please stop spreading wrong and libelous information about West Hills.

It is a real place and if you go there you should know that it exists. It is all well known. You said you have been on the road in mt. misery but you say it is not real? Why do you not know? Is it true? Why do you claim it?

It is on this map and it a natural preserve and the town in huntington says says its real.
http://www.huntingtonny.gov/filestor...e_Preserve.pdf

If you go on trials and roads that go in the middle of it why do you go there?

Old 09-21-2015, 05:31 PM

8,337 posts, read 19,194,082 times
( sigh... ) ..... Thread closed for moderation review.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island