Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 07:16 PM

519 posts, read 597,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
I think whites in the average middle class/income white town (say South Shore Nassau) would be much more alarmed at the prospect of a black couple moving in. They don't have the means in today's Long Island to leave, say Wantagh for greener (whiter) pastures because they can't afford a home in Manhasset or Jericho. White flight as it existed 50yrs ago can't happen for these folks because of money so they would be much more protective of keeping such areas white because they have no other comparable alternative on the Island. This is why areas like Elmont & Baldwin, etc. are not considered good areas by most people here on this forum (despite statistics that are comparable to avg white areas)....one black couple turned into 2, turned into 5 and bam..white flight...

Where is a white family in Wantagh going to go when their home sells for 500k and they have a combined HHI of 150-200K going to move to..hence the concern (in addition to a valid concern that property values go down as a neighborhood gets browner).

It's not to say Manhasset would welcome a black couple with open arms but the barriers of entry are much greater there so its not as worrisome that the one black couple may become a trend...oh honey but he's a lawyer!
Umm, I hate to break it to you but Wantagh is more white than both Manhasset and Jericho

Black population

Wantagh 0.3%
Jericho 1.9%
Manhasset 9.4%

White population. white alone

Wantagh 96.0%
Jericho 70.8%
Manhasset 75.9%

It's been that way (mostly white) in Wantagh and other south shore towns for decades, while the overall white population in Nassau is slowly declining. If what you said is reality, it would've happened by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 07:29 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,447,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
If you can't enjoy your yard because a neighbor plays ball with his kids next door you need to either get a better/more realistic perspective or move to a place where you can afford something other than a 60x100 plot, but the irony of installing a pool when your neighbors live right on top of you while simultaneously complaining about neighbors "ruining" your yard by having a BBQ is not lost on me.
I also have a trampoline and at one point a jungle gym, but I had neighbors who actually had jobs. So all summer the kids played but when the folks came home from work I did not disturb and tried to be quiet on weekends. They did not know we even used the stuff. Heck if they took off from work on a weekday my wife kept it down.

I dont want a larger plot as I dont want to deal with it. I am a multimillionaire. Guess what a few of my neighbors are. I know a guy in a 60x100 plot I saw his tax return and stuff a few years back who makes 5 million a year as a CEO. Some folks dont want the big house. But we should not have to deal with jerks just cause we live on top of them.

I rarely even go to my beach condo anymore, I rent it out as I cant take neighbors on top of me more than a week or two or year. The folks in complex loved it years ago when folks were not jerks and did not smoke, park illegal, talk to0 loud, leave towels out, sloppy stuff on patio. Shame we have to buy million dollar homes on large parts so we can avoid neighbors as neighbors are now lowlifes in many towns

Old 09-22-2015, 07:43 PM

519 posts, read 597,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Really? That might be true with the elderly demographic but not so much with the under 35 crowd.

Amongst my big circle of diverse friends; we mostly love American Idol, Orange is the New Black, Family Guy, Mob Wives, The View, American Horror Story, etc

Heck, they even say that more whites watch BET than blacks
When you move out of your parent's house and starting paying bills and doing other adult stuff, then, and only then will you understand Interlude's message perfectly clear.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:26 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,906,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Children don't need racially mixed neighbors to appreciate other cultures any more than they need to live in the zoo to appreciate nature. Rather than a panacea, diversity is a source of conflict. The vast majority of people - of all colors - seek the company of people like themselves. While I'm sure you're the special snowflake that's the exception to the rule, most who praise diversity do not practice it. Race and tribe define peoples' lives right down to the television program they watched last night, but they would rather die than admit it.

See, you are capable of setting a good example without moving your family into the ghetto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
When you move out of your parent's house and starting paying bills and doing other adult stuff, then, and only then will you understand Interlude's message perfectly clear.

Ok, fine. It's impossible for blacks and whites to enjoy the same shows...oh and we can't STAND befriending each other. When my group of diverse friends/co-workers and I are out on the town with each other, the ONLY thoughts that come into our minds are, "Why oh why couldn't everyone else have the same melanin level as me?"

Whenever I see posts like that, i'm so glad i've had the luxury of experiencing the town, schools, workplaces and generation that I did where most people didn't "seek the company of somebody" solely due to their race. Most people would rather have the company of somebody they had a lot in common with who happened to be another race over somebody who had zero in common with them who happened to be their race. If not then you're probably a Stormfront member.

IF you guys are the end product of a homogenous area then all that you guys are demonstrating is that people truly do need diverse environments.

Ok, good night...about to walk over to our bedroom and fall asleep in the arms of my fiance who WAIT!.... happens to be of another race BUT WHOA! Diversity is only a source of conflict, so I guess a good night's rest is impossible, therefore, I guess we'll just be fighting, attacking and planning on decapitating each other all night long

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 09-22-2015 at 08:37 PM..

Old 09-22-2015, 08:35 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,584,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
I also have a trampoline and at one point a jungle gym, but I had neighbors who actually had jobs. So all summer the kids played but when the folks came home from work I did not disturb and tried to be quiet on weekends. They did not know we even used the stuff. Heck if they took off from work on a weekday my wife kept it down.

I dont want a larger plot as I dont want to deal with it. I am a multimillionaire. Guess what a few of my neighbors are. I know a guy in a 60x100 plot I saw his tax return and stuff a few years back who makes 5 million a year as a CEO. Some folks dont want the big house. But we should not have to deal with jerks just cause we live on top of them.

I rarely even go to my beach condo anymore, I rent it out as I cant take neighbors on top of me more than a week or two or year. The folks in complex loved it years ago when folks were not jerks and did not smoke, park illegal, talk too loud, leave towels out, sloppy stuff on patio. Shame we have to buy million dollar homes on large parts so we can avoid neighbors as neighbors are now lowlifes in many towns
So what your neighbor is allowed to do in his yard is dependent on whether you go to work? Is that really the position you're taking here?

All your posts seem to suggest is that you're entitled to do whatever you want but that you have bad neighbors because one guy plays basketball with his kids in front of his house. Bouncing around on a trampoline with your young ones or swimming around in a pool mere feet from your neighbors house is ok but they are inconsiderate jerks when they have a BBQ or when your beach house neighbors leave their towels out? Do you have any idea how self-centered that sounds?

You can't have it both ways.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:04 PM

401 posts, read 944,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
When people have the power to choose, all other things being equal, most, regardless of race, will choose to live among their own.
Does living among your own mean financial means, race, political views? I really thinks all people strive for a crime free, friendly neighborhood. I think that is the first priority. If they want to know each other socially, then maybe they want someone who holds the same beliefs. Initially, the only concern is safety and affordability.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equal-Opp. View Post
Whites in lower income neighborhood tend to keep their homes in better condition than a lower income black neighborhoods.

I don't think you have visited many lower income white neighborhoods. It's hard to pick a town because in some lower income neighborhoods, it varies from street to street. With that said, Shirley/Mastic, parts of Riverhead that are predominately white have some really rundown neighborhoods. Again, not all. It is due to absentee landlords and predominately rentals in the area. No difference between black and white. Lower income breeds the same problems. It is color blind.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:21 PM

Quote:
How about his for a poll. Lets say you live in a pretty white neighborhood you like a lot. But you have a 1,500 square foot cape or split that you figure might as well expand, you go out hire architect and get some bids and cost is 200K to blow out and re-do whole house and make it amazing.

Before you start work and have only sunk 2k into architect plans your two nice two income yuppie neighbors sell homes to move to a richer trade up neighborhood and a large Spanish family moves to home on left and a large black family to home on the right straight out of the Bronx. You actually are not racist and the folks seem like nice people.

Question is do you move forward with renovation? Regardless of anything you now wont get your money back? Go to junky parts of Freeport big old houses three that are 3,000 square feet barely sell for more than 1,500 square foot houses. Most people would skip renovation or take the sale of the home plus 200K and move on.

it is no different than when a older primary owned condo development has turnover and a ton of investors buy to rent and all at once it looks like Queens or the Bronx in complex. The remaining owners stop maintaining units as much. No more granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, no more new windows or doors. Why the investment is sinking so why throw more money into it.

Meanwhile if new owners were all rich yuppies and range rovers and MBAs were moving into complex current owners might step up their renovations to keep up.
My answer would be I would continue my work because it is only YOU that believes that a Spanish family and a black family would take away from my home value. SECOND, I would not make the assumption that the black family and the Spanish family would not have a range rover or possess an MBA. How is it
the same as when investors buy to rent and stop maintaining the the units? Lack of maintaing the units would be a reason for property value to go down, but not for the ethnicity of your neighbors. You need to get out of the 60/70s dude.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
As long as human beings exist there will be prejudice and distrust over differences. This will never truly change its one of the ugly sides of human nature.
Then what is the hope for civilization? Have we not evolved enough yet to overcome this ugly side? We have gained so much intelligence, or have we?

Old 09-22-2015, 11:57 PM

Quote:

I rarely even go to my beach condo anymore, I rent it out as I cant take neighbors on top of me more than a week or two or year. The folks in complex loved it years ago when folks were not jerks and did not smoke, park illegal, talk to0 loud, leave towels out, sloppy stuff on patio. Shame we have to buy million dollar homes on large parts so we can avoid neighbors as neighbors are now lowlifes in many towns

Sorry for your plight. I know the annoyances as a result of being a multimillionaire. You should not have to put up with jerks. It's not like you could just move somewhere else because that would be too expensive. I wont ask why you saw your neighbors tax return. Sorry you cant go to your beach condo anymore. That must be devastating. I think you really need to get in touch with the real world. We don't live in your world.

While you had your landscaper come and treat your lawn, I spent 8 hours dragging dirt from Home Depot and spreading grass seed to make my lawn presentable. Do I think you shouldn't have a landscaper? No, but don't complain about how you are rich and inconvenienced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island