Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 09:33 AM

3 posts, read 5,343 times

Advertisements

I wanted to ask what the general opinion was if a new Gay bar / Club was to open in suffolk county...

Other than fire island there is no upmarket Bar \ Club \ Restaurant for gay people in suffolk county.

The proposal would be

Great Food.
South Shore location but not waterfront.
Superb Music / DJs with huge influence from Ibiza \ Mykonos and UK \ Europe as well as USA
Excellent Sound system
Interior Designed Lighting and Ambiance
Dance Floor
Great Decor with interior designed booths.

Great cocktails / Drinks and Table service option

The idea is to bring the City to Suffolk with this venue.

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 11:39 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
According to SandyJet, this would raise property values.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:15 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,907,143 times
I read an article that gay bars are doing very poorly because of the new gay hookup apps

Old 09-15-2015, 12:52 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,027,209 times
What happened to the good ole Bunk House!?

Old 09-15-2015, 01:22 PM

3 posts, read 5,343 times
Still open just it moved to Patchogue i heard

Old 09-15-2015, 02:15 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,907 times
Might as well just throw your money into the ocean.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:45 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,962,207 times
I've heard LIQUEST has info

Old 09-15-2015, 07:00 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLI View Post
I wanted to ask what the general opinion was if a new Gay bar / Club was to open in suffolk county...

Other than fire island there is no upmarket Bar \ Club \ Restaurant for gay people in suffolk county.

The proposal would be

Great Food.
South Shore location but not waterfront.
Superb Music / DJs with huge influence from Ibiza \ Mykonos and UK \ Europe as well as USA
Excellent Sound system
Interior Designed Lighting and Ambiance
Dance Floor
Great Decor with interior designed booths.

Great cocktails / Drinks and Table service option

The idea is to bring the City to Suffolk with this venue.

What do you all think?
I want to offer my OPINION, and that is all it is. I think it is a very risky venture. I live in Rehoboth Beach and as a married heterosexual I can tell you that even here, where there is a large gay and lesbian population, a gay bar is a tough prospect. This area has its' share of bars and restaurants and almost all are frequented by everybody. We all co exist nicely here, but that helps keep the bars that are labeled as "Gay" bars in business. Certainly some are more suited to the G/L/B population after certain hours but ours is a very different demographic than yours is, having spent 50plus years on L.I. albeit in Nassau County.

The bar business is tough enough to make a living at now a days and you are putting yet another "filter" on a new bar that may or may not be able to support the bar based upon the population. You might make a few $$ in the summer if you are near Fire Island, but I think you really need to be very careful before proceeding with this. Drunk Driving laws took a big bite out of the bar business and a gay only one might be too limits a market. Good Luck

Old 09-15-2015, 07:35 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I want to offer my OPINION, and that is all it is. I think it is a very risky venture. I live in Rehoboth Beach and as a married heterosexual I can tell you that even here, where there is a large gay and lesbian population, a gay bar is a tough prospect. This area has its' share of bars and restaurants and almost all are frequented by everybody. We all co exist nicely here, but that helps keep the bars that are labeled as "Gay" bars in business. Certainly some are more suited to the G/L/B population after certain hours but ours is a very different demographic than yours is, having spent 50plus years on L.I. albeit in Nassau County.

The bar business is tough enough to make a living at now a days and you are putting yet another "filter" on a new bar that may or may not be able to support the bar based upon the population. You might make a few $$ in the summer if you are near Fire Island, but I think you really need to be very careful before proceeding with this. Drunk Driving laws took a big bite out of the bar business and a gay only one might be too limits a market. Good Luck
I'm thinking along the same lines. Instead of going niche, a club which is inclusive to all with the frills the OP suggested would probably do much better. There is a dearth of high end dance clubs on Long Island. Many of the younger heteros are far more accepting of LGBT than people were 20-30 years ago.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:10 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I'm thinking along the same lines. Instead of going niche, a club which is inclusive to all with the frills the OP suggested would probably do much better. There is a dearth of high end dance clubs on Long Island. Many of the younger heteros are far more accepting of LGBT than people were 20-30 years ago.
There's a dearth of dance clubs because of lack of demand - young adults increasingly rely on dating websites and hookup apps to meet people, not clubs. Even in their heyday they were transient at best, relying on the ability of a promoter to deliver patrons and not loot the till, which is why many clubs had a different name every couple of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island