U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 02:33 PM

7,839 posts, read 11,733,813 times
We also lived in a subdivision near lollypop farm

Sure, I remember Lollipop Farm and the little train that went around the whole place. I think the movie theatre (Syosset?) is there now.

Be kinder than necessary for everyone is fighting some kind of battle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 02:56 PM

2,766 posts, read 3,311,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
We also lived in a subdivision near lollypop farm

Sure, I remember Lollipop Farm and the little train that went around the whole place. I think the movie theatre (Syosset?) is there now.

Yes Syosset theater went up at least on part of the property. That theater was great one of a kind then. My grandfather even got a part time job there and my future husband remembers him being kicked out of the theater by him. My grand father was a tough man I was even afraid of him. At the time he seemed so old to me which he was. he was at least 65 years older then me.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:35 PM

682 posts, read 652,595 times
Default Sure I remember

I was only 7. What stands out in my mind was the Sinclair exhibit - the dinosaur models, full scale. My Dad bought me a bag of plastic dinos that I treasured and played with for years.

Interestingly, years later, I read a book called The Power Broker, by Robert A. Caro. It's about Robert Moses. He characterized the '64 Worlds Fair as a commercial disaster, largely because of the high fees Moses wanted to charge exhibitors.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:39 PM

7,839 posts, read 11,733,813 times
Robert Moses lived right in my village & was not the nicest of people according to most of those (old-timers) who knew him. There is a bronze statue of him, though, in front of Town Hall.

Be kinder than necessary for everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:58 AM

2 posts, read 4,785 times
I have been looking for an actual audio comercial of Mommy and Daddy take my hand for YEARS! I have never been able to locate it and that is strange when you consider the radio Palisades has the rides Palisades has the fun commercial and others for Rockaway Playland are saved. When you consider the vast amout of radio airchecks that were saved from WABC and the big NY radio stations from the 1960's I find it amazing that nobody has the Mommy and Daddy commercial.

I see you mention the lyrics...Can you recall the rest of the lyrics to Mommy and Daddy?

Mommy & Daddy,
Take my hand
Take me out to
Freedomland.
$2.95 is all you pay
AT (not for) Freedomland all day!

You'll see the great Chicago Fire
Look out the Flames are getting higher.
Battlefields and sheddy parks
you're right there on the spot.

BUT WHAT IS THE NEXT LINE????

HELP PLEASE!!

Old 03-21-2009, 10:58 AM

258 posts, read 326,258 times
I was 5 or 6...and sure I remember. I remember "driving" the monorail, and I remember sitting in a new White Ford Galaxy convertible. Great memories of great times. I lived near Freedomland...anyone remember that????

Old 03-21-2009, 02:56 PM

2,766 posts, read 3,311,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtees4 View Post
I was 5 or 6...and sure I remember. I remember "driving" the monorail, and I remember sitting in a new White Ford Galaxy convertible. Great memories of great times. I lived near Freedomland...anyone remember that????
Yes I do. Went several times.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:34 AM

2 posts, read 4,785 times
Freedomland did NOT have a monorail and did not offer White Ford Galaxy convertibles to drive around in. You have the 1964 Worlds Fair which offered both of those attactions confused with Freedomland.

Now how about the answer to my question concerning the Freedomland song Mommy and Daddy take my hand....

Old 04-01-2009, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandersb View Post
Freedomland did NOT have a monorail and did not offer White Ford Galaxy convertibles to drive around in. You have the 1964 Worlds Fair which offered both of those attactions confused with Freedomland.

Now how about the answer to my question concerning the Freedomland song Mommy and Daddy take my hand....

HUH??? My monorail and white Ford comments were about the Worlds Fair...that is the thread it was in, in fact. I simply asked the question if anyone remembered Freedomland?

Old 04-01-2009, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem View Post
Yes I do. Went several times.
I lived across the highway from Freedomland....so every Friday night, the entire neighborhood gathered on my corner at 9PM to watch the Fireworks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island