Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 06:01 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,893,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
"#Threadend". LOL!! As if we're all dolts 'oohing and ahhhing' at the gaudy Mcmansions in areas you know absolutely nothing about.

What $400k gets you in NY suburbs on Long Island
$399,990 new construction
|
4 beds, 2 Full/1 Half baths

Style: Victorian# Families: 1Beds: 4Baths: 2 Full/1 Half
$439,000
The first house is in Medford and was actually listed way higher at $430k. It's also in the under-performing Patchogue-Medford school district:
1 Park Avenue, Medford, NY 11763 - View Property History - HotPads

All of the examples that I gave on the first page were in reasonable commuting distance to their urban centers. Try commuting to the city from Medford or Centereach (2nd house) and see how long it takes you before you start having suicidal thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 06:30 AM

703 posts, read 1,169,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I lived in Great Neck in my latter childhood years, and could not wait to escape LI once I graduated HS. Came back to NYC/Brooklyn to work after I finished all my schooling/training. I thought I would live in NYC for the rest of my life. Had my fun in Brooklyn for many years, but once you get married and have more than 1 kid, LI makes a lot of sense. You can complain all you want about how expensive LI is, but you get way more bang for you buck than living in NYC with multiple kids.
You certainly dodged the PS8 / PS 307 issue.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:50 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,151,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
The first house is in Medford and was actually listed way higher at $430k. It's also in the under-performing Patchogue-Medford school district:
1 Park Avenue, Medford, NY 11763 - View Property History - HotPads

All of the examples that I gave on the first page were in reasonable commuting distance to their urban centers. Try commuting to the city from Medford or Centereach (2nd house) and see how long it takes you before you start having suicidal thoughts.
In all fairness though there seem to be plenty of homes in the $300-$400K range in this area, with taxes around $8-9K.

18 Syracuse Ave, Medford, NY 11763 | Zillow

Old 09-23-2015, 09:41 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,522,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyLI View Post
You certainly dodged the PS8 / PS 307 issue.
One big reason why I left. I not paying over a million bucks for a tiny condo so I can send my kid to some underperforming ghetto public school (PS 307). And St Anne's is like 30k FOR FRIGGIN KINDERGARTEN. Easy decision to move to LI.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:07 AM

6,150 posts, read 9,987,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
"#Threadend". LOL!! As if we're all dolts 'oohing and ahhhing' at the gaudy Mcmansions in areas you know absolutely nothing about.

What $400k gets you in NY suburbs on Long Island
$399,990 new construction
|
4 beds, 2 Full/1 Half baths

Style: Victorian# Families: 1Beds: 4Baths: 2 Full/1 Half
$439,000
Thanks for proving my point. 400k for vinyl with insane taxes and a garbage school district is exactly what I'm talking about.

There is less than zero value here.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:21 AM

6,150 posts, read 9,987,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple juice View Post
I don't think government corruption is "ok" nor do I live in one of "keeping up with the Joneses type neighborhoods". But I do like Long Island, and I'm not leaving. I do live in Nassau, and we do it on one income precisely because we don't "keep up with the Jonses".

My argument really has nothing to do with the cost of living, the corruption or even the quality of life. My argument is very simple - places that people ACTUALLY don't want to live (like Detroit) are neither crowded nor expensive. The fact that Long Island IS crowded and expensive makes it clear that MANY people WANT to be here, regardless of any of the stuff CD forum members complain about. No one thinks LI is an easy place to live, but most of us WANT to be here regardless. CD is not a representative sample of LI residents, it's probably 10 old ladies with 45 screen names.
You like to generalize... alot. Detroit has some incredible suburbs, affluent even. Very expensive. Shocking, right?!

In your little Nassau bubble, you continue to choose to ignore that all of LI is not equal. Take a ride past one of Howard Beale's new construction pictures above and let us know if that's a town you WANT to live in.

The funny part is that I meet way more people from Nassau down here than I do from Suffolk. That surprises me as I believe Nassau has many pluses over Suffolk, yet they still believe the value is better off LI.

If I'm being honest you seem to not know any better with regard to what it is like to live in other metros, which is fine. But don't expect to start a mini-rant thread from your small knowledge base and not have those of us who do know from experience not to call you out on it.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:08 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,809,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
I don't think anyone believes it's the LI salaries that are high. Did someone say that?

It's NYC and how it's within an hour for half of LI. It's no secret that's why LI'ers are staying.

Value... that's a given in any expensive area.
Yes, many come on this forum and say that salaries in other areas are much lower, when in truth as compared directly to Nassau and Suffolk, they are the same or higher.

As for value, how much value is there when when salaries are the same elsewhere but expenses are double?

I think the word you are looking for is "intangibles". NYC has a lot of intangibles, but at a pretty high cost. It's a lot of money to pay for amenities most working people will only use a few times per year.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:32 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,151,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
NYC has a lot of intangibles, but at a pretty high cost. It's a lot of money to pay for amenities most working people will only use a few times per year.
It often leads to a couple of scenarios assuming there are no other reasons (like family) to stay.

1) Stay on LI with potentially higher salaries (if you include commuting), a higher cost of living, and the ability to go into NYC to experience what it has to offer.

2) Leave LI with potentially a lower salary, but lower cost of living, and then travel to NYC occasionally.

Intangibles aside, some of the real tangibles relate to "do you see #1 as a better long-term strategy for my family than #2?" I didn't. Aside from taking my kids to see the Statue of Liberty last summer and a trip in to see the tree we never went in.

In my case by leaving NY State I am saving $20K+ per year (income tax, property tax, other expenses) and not decreasing my income at all. Assuming I spend $5K to travel a couple of times with the family and stay in a really nice hotel for a couple of days each time, and not skimp on the restaurants or Broadway shows I am still $15K ahead. I would spend that $5K on some other vacation anyway, so really there is no net loss.

I've traded in my NYS driver's license for essentially a tourist card. I still get to enjoy those "intangibles" at a much lower cost, and will end up seeing my extended family about the same amount of times as I see them now. Only now it's an "event" and everyone plans around it.

This is not anything meant to denigrate NY or Long Island, it's just a personal decision. One that many make. Others would easily choose #1, and gain benefits by commuting into NYC for more money and living less expensively out on the island. Fair enough.

Anyone who bases an argument purely on "LI salaries pay more" though is definitely not based in reality or knowledge, or they are in a job that is aligned to union wages or other things that require proximity to Manhattan/NYC financial markets. This is even aside from the fact that many companies are actively relocating AWAY from Long Island as you find in Newsday on a regular basis.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:03 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,809,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
NYC salaries aren't as high as they used to be! Check out the stats, but I'll give you the skinny on the situation. Wall St. has shrunken and continues to shrink at a brutal rate. Don't believe it, take a ride through peak summer season Westhamption Beach. Montauk Highway is dotted with empty storefronts and defunct businesses. Not the summering haven it once was for up-and-coming yuppies. Two areas on Wall street are hiring and they're areas the banks don't want you to know about: High Frequency and Algo trading. The conventional trading businesses are shrinking, with surgical lay-offs on every trading floor in every bank. JP Morgan Chase doesn't even deal with headhunters any more. Bottom-line, Wall St. bonus' kept the suburbs flush with mad money for years. Not so any more.

Tech business? Did anyone say startups? Yes, NYC is awash in venture capital $ and these nascent businesses pay pretty well, but guess what? They don't pay $15-20k/yr property tax well. No, if you want the real cash, try San Fran, where some skills are fetching $250k-300k.

Bottom-line here is, if you're white-collar, maybe you've got a legacy job. If so, good for you. But lots of high priced 40-55 year olds are being terminated in favor of youngsters and h1bs in almost all disciplines. The old idea of taking the LIRR but reaping the financial benefits just doesn't hold water today. The huge economic engine of NYC that LI used to build all things overpriced is running out of fuel and will soon leave LI high and dry.
Also, given that less than 14% of the Nassau work force and about 5% of the Suffolk work force actually commute to Manhattan, how many LIers actually reap the benefits of those high Manhattan salaries and how many are left to deal with the consequences, like higher prices, those few make with their extra Manhattan salaries (as compared to LI salaries)?

Last edited by Redd Jedd; 09-23-2015 at 01:17 PM..

Old 09-23-2015, 06:24 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,879,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Also, given that less than 14% of the Nassau work force and about 5% of the Suffolk work force actually commute to Manhattan, how many LIers actually reap the benefits of those high Manhattan salaries and how many are left to deal with the consequences, like higher prices, those few make with their extra Manhattan salaries (as compared to LI salaries)?
Where did you pull those numbers from? They sound really low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island