Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 09:13 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,282 times

Advertisements

As an LIRR commuter and native Northporter who moved to Valley Stream for the train, i can tell you that the commute factor is huge. if i worked on the Route 110 corridor, it would likely be a different story. Northport, Centerport, Huntington have so much to offer, commute aside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 12:59 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuffolkIntellect View Post
I wouldn't say so. If you look at towns like Bellmore, Massapequa, Wantagh, Seaford, and Merrick, they are all towns catering to six figure earners who work somewhere in the city. The towns are a little different than they used to be. All these towns were built postwar as working-class. With the real estate boom in NYC, the 3 BR cape in Merrick for contractors and firefighters suddenly became priced $400k. So the towns are much more middle/uppermiddle class than they intended to be.

I'd say RVC and Merrick are slightly above Bellmore, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh in that they are closer to the city and have a lot of Manhattanites who haven't "hit it big." Real working class people are pushed to Baldwin, Freeport, East Rockaway, Long Beach or the middle of the island.
Confirms what I've seen that's for sure. Whenever I'm on the south shore all I see are Mercedes, Audis,etc. Never used to be like that to the degree it is now. Middle class got priced out of those areas and are shoved to the middle of the island where the trains aren't as good. The Wall streeters have to have their good trains you know.
Its sad because I grew up in Wantagh and can't stand what's become of it, full of annoying snobby rich ppl.
Like middle class people dont deserve to live in places with decent neighborhoods & good train service.
Gave up on trying to move there as I'm not some prick who drives a Mercedes and wears Cargo shorts with Boat shoes year round. I'd settle for Mineola at this point, more trains and safer and more active than Wastebury.
We all know the Middle Class are a dying species on LI. They can't afford the taxes, ridiculous cost of housing, or want to deal with their neighborhoods being dumped on.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuffolkIntellect View Post
Agreed.

Merrick: $133k
Massapequa: $120k
Wantagh: $123
Bellmore: $111k

Impressive what these towns have become. Beats out NS Suffolk: Huntington, Centerport, Northport, Kings Park. Merrick is bordering Upper-Middle class territory.
Its not just commute times but train frequency. Those areas get trains in rush hours every 5-10 minutes, more frequent than anywhere else on the LIRR. The Huntington Branch pales in comparison, averaging a train only every 20-30 min in rush hours. They also happen to be much more crowded.
Oyster Bay line is even worse. So what you see is the LIRR actually supporting the changes going on in those South Shore areas, whereas Mid-Island areas see less regular train service and much more crowding. Lets also factor in that the Babylon Line is entirely elevated, no grade crossings, so its usually more reliable.
They are pretty much the envy of everyone who ride the LIRR. It has become the "snob line".
The LIRR's dichotomy in the level of service they provide is yet another force in causing the South Shore to become for the rich only, and the mid-island and even the typically rich North Shore to lose their values.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:58 AM

I like Minneola but it is actually every bit as expensive as those towns and based on my search kind of cramped for what you get. The park section is a very attractive neighborhood, but the houses we saw were small and not really updated but 500k+. There's another section with houses that are identical to my Valley Stream neighborhood that are even closer together than my neighborhood (which is difficult!). These houses go for 150k more than my neighborhood.

Try Valley Stream, Franklin Square, Elmont, Levittown for places more affordable than Westbury. Aside from Valley Stream, no LIRR. Incidentally, virtually all business districts have a sketch factor late at night. I doubt you'll find these places better than Westbury in that respect. None are truly dangerous.

Prices are supply and demand. If you want to live on Long Island, you have to deal with it. New York City is even worse. Astoria, Williamsburg, Bushwick(!) all have blue collar housing that is reaching and breaking seven figures. On Long Island, I think it's less "Wall Street" money than people purchasing houses with inherited money. Lots of middle class families made a lot of money over the last couple of generations on their houses and are passing it on to the next generation.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
I like Minneola but it is actually every bit as expensive as those towns and based on my search kind of cramped for what you get. The park section is a very attractive neighborhood, but the houses we saw were small and not really updated but 500k+. There's another section with houses that are identical to my Valley Stream neighborhood that are even closer together than my neighborhood (which is difficult!). These houses go for 150k more than my neighborhood.

Try Valley Stream, Franklin Square, Elmont, Levittown for places more affordable than Westbury. Aside from Valley Stream, no LIRR. Incidentally, virtually all business districts have a sketch factor late at night. I doubt you'll find these places better than Westbury in that respect. None are truly dangerous.

Prices are supply and demand. If you want to live on Long Island, you have to deal with it. New York City is even worse. Astoria, Williamsburg, Bushwick(!) all have blue collar housing that is reaching and breaking seven figures. On Long Island, I think it's less "Wall Street" money than people purchasing houses with inherited money. Lots of middle class families made a lot of money over the last couple of generations on their houses and are passing it on to the next generation.
I don't drive so LIRR is a must (since NICE Bus is now so horrible), Valley Stream would be best out of those towns. I'm not buying, but looking for a single bedroom apt. I know, LI is becoming for the rich, which is why I may be forced to leave eventually, and go someplace cheaper like Ocean County NJ.
As far as the sketch factor, I wouldn't consider 7 or 8pm late at night, but Westbury's downtown looks like its midnight at those times.
If not Mineola, how about Farmingdale, or has that become yuppified too? My former neighbor wound up renting there when she had enough of Westbury.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:50 PM

Downtown Farmingdale is nice. I don't think it's terribly expensive by Long Island standards. No idea if you'd find it any better at night than Westbury (again I think Westbury is fine at night). What about Queens? Houses are expensive but reasonable rentals can be found in Bayside, Rego Park, etc. and they are much better suited to non-drivers with a comprehensive bus system and subways if you pick the right area. NYC has subsidized housing programs available, too. I wouldn't even consider living outside of the five boroughs without a car.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:36 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times
Middle income is around 200K now on Long Island for Homeowners between 35-60 with kids still at home. They are folks who buy and live in expensive homes.

Old folk, young singles, jose the gardner and ralphie the HS drop out are all counted into average income of a town but they are not average income of folks looking to buy a home between 500k and 899K on the southshore

Old 10-18-2015, 06:34 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,907,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Confirms what I've seen that's for sure. Whenever I'm on the south shore all I see are Mercedes, Audis,etc. Never used to be like that to the degree it is now. Middle class got priced out of those areas and are shoved to the middle of the island where the trains aren't as good. The Wall streeters have to have their good trains you know.
Its sad because I grew up in Wantagh and can't stand what's become of it, full of annoying snobby rich ppl.
Like middle class people dont deserve to live in places with decent neighborhoods & good train service.
Gave up on trying to move there as I'm not some prick who drives a Mercedes and wears Cargo shorts with Boat shoes year round. I'd settle for Mineola at this point, more trains and safer and more active than Wastebury.
We all know the Middle Class are a dying species on LI. They can't afford the taxes, ridiculous cost of housing, or want to deal with their neighborhoods being dumped on.
Wantagh a rich area? lol, Wantagh's probably as middle-income as you can get on LI. Mostly filled with ranches and split-level homes on modest lots.

And on your other post, you called the Babylon Line as the "snob line". I mean, yes, it's a great line with reliable service but calling the riders "snobs" as a result if this is pretty ridiculous. Plus, many of the stops on that line are not really 'snobby' areas (ex: Copiague, Amityville, Freeport, Baldwin, Valley Stream, Lindenhurst)

Old 10-18-2015, 07:06 PM

60 posts, read 121,640 times
Brightwaters.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:07 PM

156 posts, read 219,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Wantagh a rich area? lol, Wantagh's probably as middle-income as you can get on LI. Mostly filled with ranches and split-level homes on modest lots.

And on your other post, you called the Babylon Line as the "snob line". I mean, yes, it's a great line with reliable service but calling the riders "snobs" as a result if this is pretty ridiculous. Plus, many of the stops on that line are not really 'snobby' areas (ex: Copiague, Amityville, Freeport, Baldwin, Valley Stream, Lindenhurst)
None of the towns on that line are "snob" areas. All modest south shore towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island