Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 01:44 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,585,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
My point was likm insisted that they were comparable for everyday shopping but instead of proving it as s/he claimed, they shopped at Fairway. I listed some general and specialized items I could find at local groceries which weren't on the H-Mart circular.

Quaker -- the link goes to a service in Cambridge, MA. I placed my zip code into it, 11790, not serviced, but noted that they do carry some Quaker.

Goya -- when I placed Goya into the search box, those were the two Goya products available were those you've indicated. Coconut water isn't exclusively Goya as many other companies have jumped on that bandwagon. No Sazon, Sofrito, pigeon peas -- things I buy regularly.

Good to know about Boars Head.

When I entered Pepperidge Farm into the H-Mart search, there was nothing.

On a whim I searched Barry's Tea -- zero results returned.

I would check out H-Mart on a whim, but do not see all of the items I would look for in our brief searches.
Sounds to me like neither of you shopped there so your point and counter-point are based on pure speculation on both sides.

The place got a great write up in that Westchester-based article and it is clearly somewhere where you can pick up your staple items. They are obviously marketing to a different demographic than Waldbaums, but just based on quick internet searches, the premise that "H-Mart is nothing like a full service American supermarket" is not true because they do, in fact, carry the most of the "typical every day stuff you would have found at Waldbaums." You can get your "3 square meals at hmart" and you don't (apparently) "have to go to the deli to get your bologna" unless you mean the deli inside HMart.

Is it more catered towards Asians? Sure. That's their target market. I just find it laughable that people are on here complaining about the place because all they carry are "noodles, frogs, fish heads, and Korean BBQ" when it clearly is not the case. Given the local population, there were probably a bunch of people on a forum complaining that Waldbaum never carried food that is more prevalent in their culture.

One is not necessarily better than the other. They're just aimed at different markets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 02:41 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
During a recent visit home I stopped in the new Acme in Albertson. I will check again the next time home before I actually
state that sticking a fork in it would be kind, as it was just opened about 10 days. That said, one would think it should be the best it will be at that point and it was far from it. Looked more like it was going out of business than in. Hope it has improved.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:15 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,889,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Sounds to me like neither of you shopped there so your point and counter-point are based on pure speculation on both sides.

The place got a great write up in that Westchester-based article and it is clearly somewhere where you can pick up your staple items. They are obviously marketing to a different demographic than Waldbaums, but just based on quick internet searches, the premise that "H-Mart is nothing like a full service American supermarket" is not true because they do, in fact, carry the most of the "typical every day stuff you would have found at Waldbaums." You can get your "3 square meals at hmart" and you don't (apparently) "have to go to the deli to get your bologna" unless you mean the deli inside HMart.

Is it more catered towards Asians? Sure. That's their target market. I just find it laughable that people are on here complaining about the place because all they carry are "noodles, frogs, fish heads, and Korean BBQ" when it clearly is not the case. Given the local population, there were probably a bunch of people on a forum complaining that Waldbaum never carried food that is more prevalent in their culture.

One is not necessarily better than the other. They're just aimed at different markets.
No sir. It's Oscar Meyer bologna or bust. Give me my hamburger helper gosh darnit. This is infuriating.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:28 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
And you won't because H-Mart isn't, nor is it meant to be a replacement for Waldbaum's.
Checking out on a whim =/= potential Waldbaum's replacement. FWIW I didn't care much for Waldbaums.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:36 PM

20,048 posts, read 20,850,556 times
Can't wait til we get Publix and Winn Dixie!

Old 12-01-2015, 06:37 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Sounds to me like neither of you shopped there so your point and counter-point are based on pure speculation on both sides. Hard for me to do so as there are none near me. I do , however, have access to 3 Asian groceries in my hamlet; none carry all staples, two are geared toward foreign students living on campus.

I never implied or stated that it is geared toward any one group, better/worse than, nor that I couldn't get staples. I was curious about how much of what I use that they would carry. My curiosity about H-Mart in particular is because I live in an area with a foreign student population and a gradually increasing Asian resident population. Seeing as we have 3 small Asian groceries (where up until 2 years ago there was only 1), could it be possible that at some time, this area could wind up with an H-Mart? If we did, as I indicated earlier, I would probably check it out on a whim.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:47 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times
Quote:

Blah blah blah. Still spouting your nonsense open borders? You have no idea where I've shopped before. Nor did I ever say that's ALL they carry. It is no replacement for a waldbaums or a stop n shop. Period.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:51 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Now you are talking! (For Publix, Winn Dixie is meh). It would be a cold day in you know where before we ever got publix up here.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:07 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
During a recent visit home I stopped in the new Acme in Albertson. I will check again the next time home before I actually
state that sticking a fork in it would be kind, as it was just opened about 10 days. That said, one would think it should be the best it will be at that point and it was far from it. Looked more like it was going out of business than in. Hope it has improved.
Pretty sure that the Albertson store is a Key Food. Think it got sold to the same person who owns the crappy Kings Park Key Food (Dan's).
That store is disgusting, and that is putting it mildly.
Last time I was there it looked like it was going out of business too, but yet its still there.
Key Food - Grocery - 66 Indian Head Rd - Kings Park, NY - Reviews - Photos - Yelp

Old 12-01-2015, 08:48 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,207,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Thanks again for another laugh! Love your thinking although Publix sadly will probably never happen! I did do an April Fools joke on a LI FB group a few times over the years & many bought it. Unfortunately the Pathmark stores were mad! Tons of people started calling them & asking. As well as spreading the "false" news all over the place that day before many realized & I posted several times with big April Fools picture that is was an April fools joke! People just read title & ran with it. Never even reading all my other posts that it was a joke. Had to give it up fast. Did make sure I posted it early enough that most people had not even started their day & did not really realize yet that it was April Fools Day. Was fun though I have to admit. But I do miss Publix. Always clean. Every employee was always helpful & happy. Then again it is employee owned & they have good pensions. Unlike most supermarkets. My ex works at Publix still & loves it.

I said in my post Great news it was just announced on CNN that Publix is coming to NY & taking over all Pathmark store. I did actually have a dream about this a few years back. That is where I got idea from. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island