Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 11:20 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,979,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Something about your story just doesn't sound right. Why would cops make a house call (by tracking you through either license plate or perhaps your employer) for no visible damage to the other car?

This is like a civil matter. A hit and run may be against the law if there were injuries and damage involved but there was none.

As for your question, just tell people at work exactly what you've told us here.
I was thinking the same thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 11:41 AM

643 posts, read 763,382 times
Since it's out in the open, I would approach my co-worker and explain the situation. If there were no damages to her vehicle, it shouldn't be a problem.

Same exact thing happened to me a few years ago. I was leaving work very late at night and my whole department was still in the office. It was easily 11pm and very dark outside. I started to back out of my spot when I hit the car parked behind me, on the set of spots next to mine (same as you). I actually did leave the building and went home. I too was very tired after a a 15 hour day. The next day, I told the owner of the car, who was a good friend of mine, what happened and she mentioned that she noticed the damage that following morning. I offered to pay for the repairs and was very generous with the amount I paid.

It's understandable that if you're tired, accidents can happen. But I believe you have to be responsible for your actions, and own up to what you did. This will get you more respect from everyone else than if you just sweep it under the rug.

Hope your cousin is doing well...

Old 11-03-2015, 10:31 PM

6 posts, read 10,310 times
Quote:
Something about your story just doesn't sound right. Why would cops make a house call (by tracking you through either license plate or perhaps your employer) for no visible damage to the other car?

This is like a civil matter. A hit and run may be against the law if there were injuries and damage involved but there was none.

As for your question, just tell people at work exactly what you've told us here.
Well i believe someone in the parking lot might have seen me tap the car when i was backing up. Then, they might have called the police because they probably thought i did damage to the vehicle. And saw me drive away plus there is a camera in the parking lot that saw everything. I have a spare tire in the back of my car because i drive a suv/jeep, so i believe that is what bumped the car because there was no damage. That is why the cops, most likely let me go because they wanted to see my bumper and saw no damage either. So there was no reason why i should of stayed there and there was no one in the car. I also had an emergency.
I went to work today and no one said anything. I believe the owner of the car did not even know that i bumped her car because there was no damage. I know it was a coworker's car though because her name was on the drivers exchange form.
But next time i see her, i will let her know what happened just to be honest and i just hope she doesn't get pissed off for not telling her earlier. But i will tell her about the situation i was in. Maybe she will understand. There was no damage either. She shouldn't get mad.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:08 AM

12,148 posts, read 7,116,556 times
Is this the NYPD we're talking about? If it is, then FOR SURE, they would have never came to your house for no visible sign of damage to the other car. They would have responded to the call and went to see the other car. Once they see there was no sign of damage, they would have stopped right there and then and left. No way they would have taken the time and effort to track your address and then went to your house to give you a warning. They make less of an effort for even more serious crimes, let alone a bump in a parking lot with not even a dent. LOL. Not buying your story.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:09 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,294,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike15 View Post
But next time i see her, i will let her know what happened just to be honest and i just hope she doesn't get pissed off for not telling her earlier. But i will tell her about the situation i was in. Maybe she will understand. There was no damage either. She shouldn't get mad.
What a stand-up guy you are.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Is this the NYPD we're talking about? If it is, then FOR SURE, they would have never came to your house for no visible sign of damage to the other car. They would have responded to the call and went to see the other car. Once they see there was no sign of damage, they would have stopped right there and then and left. No way they would have taken the time and effort to track your address and then went to your house to give you a warning. They make less of an effort for even more serious crimes, let alone a bump in a parking lot with not even a dent. LOL. Not buying your story.
Nope it was'nt NYPD, but regardless i think they couldn't have arrested me became there was no damage. Even if there was, the charges would of been dropped. They came to ask me for my license and registration. They also wanted to look at my bumper. After that they told me that they could have taken me to jail, but they won't and next time to do the right thing and stop. They handed me a drivers exchange form. They left. Still not buying it? What do i need to give you the officer's name now ? To believe me?

Old 11-04-2015, 10:15 AM

199 posts, read 516,876 times
They probably have a friend in the auto body business write up a b.s. estimate tag your insurance. And you won't be able to do [anything] about it. Then watch your rates go up.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 11-04-2015 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: Please do not circumvent the language filter

Old 11-04-2015, 11:01 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,246,602 times
I think it very strange that the police would even bother to contact you, since there was no damage to her vehicle, but I do know suburban villages where the police are bored and would respond to any call. I wonder if they ever went to the site to inspect the vehicle, or your information was given from the store, and they responded to your house. I would actually be concerned that someone could have access to your confidential employee records for inappropriate use, since in no way, shape, or form, could they take the call, review the video, run your plate, inspect her car, and be at your door in half an hour. And, the store should not be turning over your information without a subpoena, so my suspicion is that there was a data breach with respect to someone gaining access to your file to provide the information.

The level of damage (minimal scratch at most) would not classify it as a hit and run, and that's why they did not take you to jail, but the police were just trying to intimidate you. However, it was rude to tap her car and not leave a note or tell her that you did so, even if there is no damage. I say this as someone to whom this has happened many times, sometimes with visible damage, and no note, which is why I don't usually park on the street.

As to this being an HR matter, as in she has influence over a manager, that's completely unprofessional for an unrelated civil matter to hold any sway, and an organization with a proper HR department and manager wouldn't allow such nonsense to influence a long-term hiring decision. The co-worker who trained you and the co-worker whose vehicle you tapped seem to thrive on high drama, creating this situation out of nonsense, when she could have asked if you had tapped her car the next day, or left word with your co-worker that she needed to talk to you about backing into her car. So, since you're a seasonal employee, I'd count that as a blessing and look for another position where you may not have to deal with such overly dramatic people. You tapped her car with no visible damage, and that is not the same as tracking down a dangerous person, as the response was completely out of proportion to the incident. Don't worry about staying there long-term and find a position where you do not have to deal with this level of drama, since if they act this way over a minor incident, do you really foresee being able to work with them in a congenial manner?

Limit exposure to the histrionics of such overly dramatic people, and don't trust anyone since it's a safe bet that your confidential information was gleaned from a source within the store as there's no way the police had time to track everything down in the time frame given. They could get your address from a plate quickly, but they'd have to get the plate, and there's no time to respond, investigate the car, get the plate from the camera, call it in, get a response, and get to your house in that time frame, not unless the police station is next door to the store and you live a block away. I could see it taking a couple of hours if they went through legitimate channels to obtain your information, but it was a very slow day for crime if that's the incident about which the police had to focus attention.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-04-2015, 03:24 PM

2,437 posts, read 2,715,316 times
Quote:

Pretty much my question. I saw someone hit my car, got a plate number while they fled. There was actual damage and after waiting 3 hours for the cops, was told nothing would be done on their end to call my insurance company and see what they'd do about it.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I think it very strange that the police would even bother to contact you, since there was no damage to her vehicle, but I do know suburban villages where the police are bored and would respond to any call. I wonder if they ever went to the site to inspect the vehicle, or your information was given from the store, and they responded to your house. I would actually be concerned that someone could have access to your confidential employee records for inappropriate use, since in no way, shape, or form, could they take the call, review the video, run your plate, inspect her car, and be at your door in half an hour. And, the store should not be turning over your information without a subpoena, so my suspicion is that there was a data breach with respect to someone gaining access to your file to provide the information.

The level of damage (minimal scratch at most) would not classify it as a hit and run, and that's why they did not take you to jail, but the police were just trying to intimidate you. However, it was rude to tap her car and not leave a note or tell her that you did so, even if there is no damage. I say this as someone to whom this has happened many times, sometimes with visible damage, and no note, which is why I don't usually park on the street.

As to this being an HR matter, as in she has influence over a manager, that's completely unprofessional for an unrelated civil matter to hold any sway, and an organization with a proper HR department and manager wouldn't allow such nonsense to influence a long-term hiring decision. The co-worker who trained you and the co-worker whose vehicle you tapped seem to thrive on high drama, creating this situation out of nonsense, when she could have asked if you had tapped her car the next day, or left word with your co-worker that she needed to talk to you about backing into her car. So, since you're a seasonal employee, I'd count that as a blessing and look for another position where you may not have to deal with such overly dramatic people. You tapped her car with no visible damage, and that is not the same as tracking down a dangerous person, as the response was completely out of proportion to the incident. Don't worry about staying there long-term and find a position where you do not have to deal with this level of drama, since if they act this way over a minor incident, do you really foresee being able to work with them in a congenial manner?

Limit exposure to the histrionics of such overly dramatic people, and don't trust anyone since it's a safe bet that your confidential information was gleaned from a source within the store as there's no way the police had time to track everything down in the time frame given. They could get your address from a plate quickly, but they'd have to get the plate, and there's no time to respond, investigate the car, get the plate from the camera, call it in, get a response, and get to your house in that time frame, not unless the police station is next door to the store and you live a block away. I could see it taking a couple of hours if they went through legitimate channels to obtain your information, but it was a very slow day for crime if that's the incident about which the police had to focus attention.
I agree with you 100%. That is a possibility. The store i'm working at is Sears. But i forgot to say that i literally live right across the street from the store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: