Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 10:38 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,888,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Not so safe. The cheap houses are bungalows. Some of the houses in "The Walks" barely have a yard and no driveway. And parking sucks in the village. Plus the flooding.
Harbor and Barnum Isles have similar taxes as the rest of Nassau/TOH. The illegal housing thing is a problem. A few years back the village really tried to crack down on it and ENFORCE the laws already on the books. But, because many of the apartment residents were Hispanic the race card got tossed around so the village backed off because they didn't want a repeat of the '80's racial steering debacle.
You can get a bungalow for 65-80 nowadays. It must be raised but there are plenty at that price. The village is a corrupt POS. They have never did anything to make Island Park better and yes racism is a huge problem and always has been with the overwhelming amount of white trash that has always lived there. So yes you are right about the flooding but at that budget you can have a nice home on a 40x80 or so. Something that you can't have in to many places in Nassau.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 11:10 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
They are not that low unless they are an abandoned Sandy home which essentially is a knock down at this point. Don't forget to factor in the flood insurance.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
They are not that low unless they are an abandoned Sandy home which essentially is a knock down at this point. Don't forget to factor in the flood insurance.
There are plenty. Raised homes have minimal flood insurance. You could also buy empty lots and build brand new for around 250.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:26 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
The lowest ones I know of are at the 100k mark.
They are knock downs. You are buying a 30 or 40x60 or 70 lot.
You now need to put up a code compliant home. So you are easily in the 200k and up point.
For Island Park.
No thanks.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
The lowest ones I know of are at the 100k mark.
They are knock downs. You are buying a 30 or 40x60 or 70 lot.
You now need to put up a code compliant home. So you are easily in the 200k and up point.
For Island Park.
No thanks.
If you go modular you can go below 250k probably. Where else in Nassau County could you get a new construction for anywhere near 300k? A five minute bike ride from long beach and low taxes. Only drawback is the corrupt village government and white trash neighbors.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:24 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
If you go modular you can go below 250k probably. Where else in Nassau County could you get a new construction for anywhere near 300k? A five minute bike ride from long beach and low taxes. Only drawback is the corrupt village government and white trash neighbors.
The white trash is leaving I think you ment "Papelera Española"

Old 11-09-2015, 01:26 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Parts of Island Park are not in the incorporated village. And if you go down Long Beach road where it splits to Austin behind Outback Steak House the fist 5-15 blocks between the two are not even a flood zone. In fact Outback Steakhouse and Ace Hardware did not get on drop in Sandy.

Those houses are not in the incorporate village so tax is low and no flood zone. Still with stigma of Sandy wrongly attached to them they go cheap.

Old 11-09-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
The white trash is leaving I think you ment "Papelera Española"
No I meant white trash as I have been in and around the area for 40 years. The hispanics have had there share of trash but, let's not pretend the white trash didn't already set the precedent.

Old 11-09-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Parts of Island Park are not in the incorporated village. And if you go down Long Beach road where it splits to Austin behind Outback Steak House the fist 5-15 blocks between the two are not even a flood zone. In fact Outback Steakhouse and Ace Hardware did not get on drop in Sandy.

Those houses are not in the incorporate village so tax is low and no flood zone. Still with stigma of Sandy wrongly attached to them they go cheap.
Those houses are in the village and the reason they didn't flood was because the giant storage building diverted the water.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:27 PM

402 posts, read 518,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
No I meant white trash as I have been in and around the area for 40 years. The hispanics have had there share of trash but, let's not pretend the white trash didn't already set the precedent.
I agree... I remember visting friends there while growing up as we shared a high school. Back then (mid 90s) the town definitely had a white trash feel to it. Even to this day, many of the people i know from there didnt amount to much and are still trashy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island