Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 09:36 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeefan93 View Post
Pit Bulls?
Violent dogs of any breed. Once they have attacked, it's over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 09:56 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
First, why is it you hardly ever get this reaction when someone is killed by a gun? If the little girl was killed by a Glock 17 semi-automatic hand gun everyone would blame the person who pulled the trigger and/or owned the gun. It's kind of an odd phenomenon.

And mixing dogs of any breed with young children, particularly those the dog is unfamiliar with, is a perfect recipe for disaster. The dog's owner is more to blame than the dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
I'm a firm believer that the breed needs to be eradicated. Yes, they're cute, yes, there are plenty of instances of a pitbull being nothing but a loving family pet, but the bottom line is that they can not be trusted. There's a reason the large majority of dog attacks you read about are pitbulls.
Responsible owners raise trustworthy dogs, regardless of the breed. How's about scrutinizing the people adopting or purchasing the dog instead of blaming the dog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
While there are tons of terrible pitbull (and other breeds) owners out there, it doesn't change the fact that the dogs have a natural disposition towards aggressiveness. They were bred to fight and you're not going to wipe away hundreds of years of breeding just by making sure you're a responsible dog owner.
Yeah, that's not true; that's an urban legend run amok. Read this.

Quote:
I agree. Pit Bulls are not cute especially when they're grown up and even a Pit Bull that is well trained can be unpredictable.
I know more "cute" adult pit bulls than I do people. And any living creature, regardless of species or breed is unpredictable, we all have bad days.

Finally, I'm not a pit bull apologist nor do I own one. However I've spent considerable time around them during this past year and despite my once having had similar prejudices against the breed now realize how wrong I was. They need a ton of exercise, they need to constantly be working on their "bite" and need to be socialized before being trusted in any environment, just like any other breed. If someone comes into ownership of one and neglects the dog, doesn't get them their hour plus of exercise and surround them with appropriate chew toys, the dog is at risk to act out.

I'm not saying the dog who killed this poor girl should have been spared, only that the blame is more on the human responsible for the dog.

Oh and remember, forty years ago it was the German Shepard's we needed to fear, then Doberman's, then Rottweilers. How come they're not still being eradicated?

Old 11-09-2015, 09:56 AM

1,916 posts, read 1,458,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Violent dogs of any breed. Once they have attacked, it's over.
I agree. As long as they are alive they are a threat to society.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:07 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
First, why is it you hardly ever get this reaction when someone is killed by a gun? If the little girl was killed by a Glock 17 semi-automatic hand gun everyone would blame the person who pulled the trigger and/or owned the gun. It's kind of an odd phenomenon.

And mixing dogs of any breed with young children, particularly those the dog is unfamiliar with, is a perfect recipe for disaster. The dog's owner is more to blame than the dog.

Responsible owners raise trustworthy dogs, regardless of the breed. How's about scrutinizing the people adopting or purchasing the dog instead of blaming the dog?

I know more "cute" adult pit bulls than I do people. And any living creature, regardless of species or breed is unpredictable, we all have bad days.

Finally, I'm not a pit bull apologist nor do I own one. However I've spent considerable time around them during this past year and despite my once having had similar prejudices against the breed now realize how wrong I was. They need a ton of exercise, they need to constantly be working on their "bite" and need to be socialized before being trusted in any environment, just like any other breed. If someone comes into ownership of one and neglects the dog, doesn't get them their hour plus of exercise and surround them with appropriate chew toys, the dog is at risk to act out.

I'm not saying the dog who killed this poor girl should have been spared, only that the blame is more on the human responsible for the dog.

Oh and remember, forty years ago it was the German Shepard's we needed to fear, then Doberman's, then Rottweilers. How come they're not still being eradicated?
The point is that these dogs are too dangerous for just anyone to be allowed to own. Blaming the owner after the kid is dead is too late and is not a sufficient or satisfactory resolution to the issue of pit bulls maiming and killing people.

I have no way of knowing of the wannabe 20 something tough guy around the block has given the dog "Hours of exercise" or a "chew toy". I only know that can kill me kid and is far more likely to than the cocker spaniel next door. This is the blind spot that apologists don't seem to get. I don't give a damn if the dog gets along with YOUR kids, I care what the dog will do to MY kids if he gets out.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:

German Shepard's have something that Pit Bulls don't really have. INTELLIGENCE. Plus a dog that is bred to kill is unpredictable at best and what do guns have to do with a pit bull killing a 9 year old? I don't care how well trained a pit bull is I'll never trust one at all.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:22 AM

519 posts, read 597,372 times
Quote:

What a ridiculous, illogical comparison. How many guns have you seen running around the neighborhood popping kids in the streets? If anything, pit bull laws should be stricter than gun laws. Which means background checks, and you can't let your pit leave the house. Break this law and you are looking at felony charges. Your pit gets taken away too.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:35 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,223,723 times
Quote:

The gun comparison is 100% idiotic. I mean, just a really special kind of stupid.

Lastly,

Quote:
Even the ASPCA acknowledges on its website that pit bulls are genetically different than other dogs. “Pit bulls have been bred to behave differently during a fight,” it says. “They may not give warning before becoming aggressive, and they’re less likely to back down when clashing with an opponent.”
From this TIME article.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:45 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,539,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfitg View Post
Yea, the reason is that most of the people who buy pitballs are irresponsible selfish and aggressive people who raise their dog to be the same. Has nothing to do with the breed.
This is exactly it.

People get bit by dogs all the time. We hear about pitbull attacks because the media likes to perpetuate the pitbull stereotype. Attacks by other breeds are simply not a headline worthy.

This stereotype also draws the wrong crowd to the breed. When these irresponsible people get their dog and then encourage aggressive behavior, it feeds the headlines and they cycle continues.

This can happen with any breed. I've seen total a-holes with Rotties that are trained to be aggressive.

There are always dogs of any breed which are simply born with a screw loose. Years ago I had a dog from a breed which was supposed to be the "perfect" family dog. It started to display aggressive tendencies, something that is a problem with a 100b dog. We worked with it for a few months but the problem got worse. One day it tried to attack my child. That was it. Due to a contractual obligation, I couldn't put the dog down and had to give the breeder "first rights" to take the dog back. It was out of my home in 24 hours. My only regret is not having the dog put down (and fighting over the $10,000 penalty for doing so). It was obviously a problem and I naively thought the breeder would handle it responsibly. Due to his great confirmation, she ended up breeding the dog.

That's all to say there are irresistible owners and irresponsible breeders out there. Highly aggressive dogs should absolutely be put down. Breeders should not be breeding aggressive animals (or overly in-breeding). Neither problem is solved by eliminating a breed.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
This is exactly it.

People get bit by dogs all the time. We hear about pitbull attacks because the media likes to perpetuate the pitbull stereotype. Attacks by other breeds are simply not a headline worthy.
Nope..... The reason we hear about pit bulls is that they have killed someone. Other dogs are not known to kill the number of people that pit bulls have. If a chihuahua killed someone, which is very unlikely, then we'll hear about it. Pit bulls also have a reputation as killer dogs because unlike other dogs pit bulls are bred to kill.

Last edited by yankeefan93; 11-09-2015 at 11:13 AM..

Old 11-09-2015, 11:12 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Nope..... The reason we hear about pit bulls is that they have killed someone. Other dogs are not known to kill the number of people that pit bulls have. If a chihuahua killed someone, which is very unlikely, then we'll hear about it. Pit bulls also have quite the reputation.
Exactly. People get bit by other dogs and have a mark on their arms.

People get bit by pit bulls and die or are seriously maimed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island