Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2008, 08:03 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,802,296 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of looking for a house and want to find a bank or credit union to work with to get a preapproval ASAP. We'll be doing a conventional 30-year, our credit is really good, and we're putting about 40% down. Anyone have any good or bad experiences to share? I'd love to deal with a local bank if possible - we're in the Northport area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 08:37 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
Why not try something like LendingTree Home Loans | Refinance | Home Equity | Mortgage Refinance They can find you good offers and you can decide from there. I wouldn't go through a mortgage broker... try and find a mortgage lender or a mortgage bank (one that specializes ONLY in mortgages).

I don't have any personal experience, but I'm sure you can Google it as well or look on MLSLI.com – Long Island Real Estate – Find A Home in Nassau, Suffolk & Queens to see if they recommend anyone.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:20 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
I'm in the process of looking for a house and want to find a bank or credit union to work with to get a preapproval ASAP. We'll be doing a conventional 30-year, our credit is really good, and we're putting about 40% down. Anyone have any good or bad experiences to share? I'd love to deal with a local bank if possible - we're in the Northport area.
Nassau Educators seems to have the best rates at the moment...try Bethpage as well. good luck to you!

Old 02-02-2008, 05:01 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,539 times
Do you have any military connections? If you or a family member is active/reserve/retired you can join Navy federal Credit Union. they have spectacular rates and very low closing costs.

Navyfcu.org

Old 02-02-2008, 05:12 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,802,296 times
My dad was in the Navy years ago - he is now deceased. I read their FAQ's but I'm still not sure whether I qualify - I'll give them a call Monday. Thanks!

Old 02-02-2008, 05:15 PM

313 posts, read 1,052,862 times
Had a miserable experience with Municipal Credit Union, though I think you have to work for the city to use them anyway.

I have heard good things about Bethpage- I am going to look into them for our next mortgage.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:23 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
My dad was in the Navy years ago - he is now deceased. I read their FAQ's but I'm still not sure whether I qualify - I'll give them a call Monday. Thanks!
You may need to provide some of your dad's documentation of his service if you can get it...but they are very accommodating. Best wishes on your home!!

Old 02-02-2008, 11:31 PM

244 posts, read 668,740 times
If you've got good credit avoid a mortgage broker at all costs. You WILL get ripped off. Start with the bank where you do your banking. Then look for those with low or no lender fees. (might wanna check out Bank of America No Mortgage Fee Plus) Don't pay points unless you are 150% sure this is the house you will live in for a LONG time. Lastly get a SIGNED Good Faith Estimate. and get a SIGNED Rate Lock agreement. I've learned all this the hard way.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:35 PM

4 posts, read 13,873 times
Whatever you decide, be very careful with title insurance. Title insurers are being investigated in many states for price fixing and paying kickbacks to realtors. As a matter of fact, a lawsuit was just filed in New York dealing with this very issue. More info on title insurance and the way some unscrupulous companies hurt consumers can be found here at this link:

Title Insurance Lawyer Price Attorney Fixing Lawsuit

Best advice, shop around for title insurance, and don't just go by your broker's recommendation.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:52 AM

248 posts, read 872,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Nassau Educators seems to have the best rates at the moment...try Bethpage as well. good luck to you!

I second Nassau..great rates, very helpful..go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island