Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 10:08 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,213,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC guy View Post
TransplantedFloridian:
I guess you like to eat in chain restaurants like those you find all over Florida.
I'll vote for Milleridge Inn any day over chain restaurant garbage.
And history is worth preserving in any event. I wish the new owner success.
Good luck.
Everything has to be "new" and part of a chain, in the south.

What is wrong with having an old school 50s 60s 70s style restaurant on Long Island? I am sure the new owners will fix it up - and if they are smart - add some up dated dishes with a nostalgic feel.

The Three Village Inn is a similar place, and it appears to be doing fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 10:16 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,190,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
Why? Yes, it's historic. Yes, it's traditional in the area.
  • Quality is terrible.
  • Prices keep rising.
  • Service is non-existant.
  • Grounds look like sh*t. No more gardens, etc.
  • Plain, old, out-dated - and not in the stupid hipster way. Gone.

Good riddance.
The people that are taking over are going to make it better than it has been in years. I can personally vouch for that. Dover group is taking over Milleridge. The guy & family that own that company are very successful & turn drab places in to gold. They took over Coral House,Peters Clam bar. And countless other places. The have not failed yet. This guy knows what he is doing.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:41 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,213,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GC guy View Post
TransplantedFloridian:
I guess you like to eat in chain restaurants like those you find all over Florida.
I'll vote for Milleridge Inn any day over chain restaurant garbage.
And history is worth preserving in any event. I wish the new owner success.
Good luck.
...nice assumption. What the heck did I say that would lead you to believe I enjoy chain restaurants? Just because I spoke the truth by saying that the Milleridge Inn has gone downhill?? Seems like an awfully presumptuous statement on your part. AKA: stupid statement on your part.

Old 11-28-2015, 12:12 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,978,596 times
The George Washington Manor really went downhill last time I was there. I know it was same owner. That place still open?

Old 11-28-2015, 02:27 AM

5,009 posts, read 3,908,226 times
Quote:
  • Quality is terrible.
  • Prices keep rising.
  • Grounds look like No more gardens, etc.

Good riddance.
I was wondering when someone would tell the truth about Milleridge and its awful food. The last 10-15 years it got the reputation as serving tasteless (and not inexpensive) food to old age customers. Weddings weren't that great either.
Of course it lost customers and the new owners will have to spend a few years providing great food at reasonable prices to overcome Milleridge's actual reputation. And will have to spruce up the grounds.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 11-28-2015 at 06:35 AM..

Old 11-28-2015, 07:03 AM

5 posts, read 4,916 times
Quote:
...nice assumption. What the heck did I say that would lead you to believe I enjoy chain restaurants? Just because I spoke the truth by saying that the Milleridge Inn has gone downhill?? Seems like an awfully presumptuous statement on your part. AKA: stupid statement on your part.
My apologies. Assuming you preferred chain restaurants was stupid, I admit.
But I stand by my other comments and wish the new owners success.
Hiring a top chef would be a good start.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:59 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,589,857 times
Quote:
  • Quality is terrible.
  • Prices keep rising.
  • Grounds look like Moderator cut: language removed . No more gardens, etc.

Good riddance.
Simply not liking the restaurant is insufficient reason for wanting an historic structure razed for yet another generic shopping center housing national chain stores, a nail salon, pizzeria, and Chinese take out.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:00 AM

9,117 posts, read 13,140,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Although it has not yet been publicly announced the communities efforts to save the Milleridge Inn has happened. It worked! The community pulled together & showed we wanted it to stay. The people behind the efforts to save Milleridge Inn worked hard & dedicated lots of time to help get this done. Thanks to them all it worked. Proof there is power in numbers & the public can make a difference. But Owen Smith was fantastic in making sure that whoever took over would continue the traditions.

I am happy to say a new operator has been secured & it they will be running The Milleridge Inn as of January 1,2016. It has been saved as well as all the jobs! Everything will remain the same even right down to the menus I was told. They will close for a few weeks in Jan or Feb for painting & some needed updates though. Thanks go to Owen Smith the proprietor for finding someone who promises to keep the traditions alive. Had reservations for Christmas for what we all thought was going to be our last time & chance to say goodbye!

Great that this place has been saved & some of LI's history will remain intact. At least for now. Maybe they can get it declared an historical landmark to avoid destruction in the future.

Enjoy this wonderful piece of Long Island history. Further details like the name of the new operator has not yet been released. Sure that will happen very soon as everyone thinks they are closing at the end of the year. Yesterday the owner made the announcement to the employees. No public announcement has been made as of yet. But it has been confirmed with Owen Smith the family that has owned it for years. I am sure a public statement will come out soon.
I am not sure if it is but the real question is why it is not already a landmark. At least the Inn part.

Last year a developer was going to tear down a 1700s house in Babylon until there was an outcry. In between the mass suburbia, Long Island is one of the oldest and most historic areas in the country. I do not understand why we still have houses, churches and other buildings from the 1600s, 1700s and early 1800s that are still not protected.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Everything has to be "new" and part of a chain, in the south.

What is wrong with having an old school 50s 60s 70s style restaurant on Long Island? I am sure the new owners will fix it up - and if they are smart - add some up dated dishes with a nostalgic feel.

The Three Village Inn is a similar place, and it appears to be doing fine.
The Miaritis family sold the 3VI business to Lessings a while back. We went for dinner after the changeover. Meh. Lessings does well catering to the masses, but they failed at restaurant quality dining. We didn't go back. Given the success of Pentimento and the draw of the Country House, 3VI needed to step up its game. Mirabelle moving into the Sand Bar was a smart move and great success. It's akin to what you've stated: updated dishes, nostalgic feel.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
I was wondering when someone would tell the truth about Milleridge and its awful food. The last 10-15 years it got the reputation as serving tasteless (and not inexpensive) food to old age customers. Weddings weren't that great either.
Of course it lost customers and the new owners will have to spend a few years providing great food at reasonable prices to overcome Milleridge's actual reputation. And will have to spruce up the grounds.
I attended two functions there over the last several years. A large holiday party held in the cottage and a baby shower held upstairs at the Inn. The food at the holiday party was awful. The food at the baby shower was better.

The upstairs building maintenance left a lot to be desired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island