Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 06:58 AM

629 posts, read 962,046 times

Advertisements

West Hempstead demolishes veteran’s house while he has surgery

It's crazy to think that you could leave town for awhile and return to find your house gone, but I'd have to assume that the town made a fairly good effort to contact this guy, but he didn't necessarily want to be contacted. That being said, I wonder how much of a danger this house really was, given the state of so many other houses I've seen on Long Island.

Heck, one could argue there are certain areas of Long Island that would have whole blocks demolished given this criteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 04:10 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,206,121 times
There is a lot of this story NOT being told. Since lawsuit was filed fast the truth will soon come out. If you lived near this home or right on the block like my friend did & had to endure the conditions caused by this home you would have wanted it gone as well. Neighbor & others on the block could not sell their homes due to this house. People would see his home & run away. His neighbor finally has their home on the market now & has for about 3 months since that eyesore is gone. It was very bad. He never threw out his garbage. Was a hoarder I was told. That garbage & junk he left lying around (inside & outside) attracted all sort of animals,rodents,bugs among other things. Got to the point neighbors could not even go out without problems. Sad. Now him & his lawyer which many are saying he has a relationship with prior to this are playing the "vet" & "surgery" card. While I have plenty of love & compassion for out Veterans this guy KNEW before he left NY for Florida for PLANNED knee surgery that his home was deemed unsafe as per all the notices placed on the door & home & knew it was scheduled for demolition. He SAW these signs & received these notices. HE chose to ignore all of them & knew what was going to happen. He also was well aware he could not get anything for his home in the condition it was in. Many that lived near him saw this firsthand. He is not exactly poor. He has not even really been living in this home! He winters in Florida. Has place there. He had this lawyer likely in "waiting" figuring he could get more money from the tear down in a lawsuit than the home was worth. Anyone that leaves their home & goes out of area for surgery should make arrangements. He had at least 6 kids. They could have done something. He did not even forward his mail. Very fishy & many holes in his claims. Here is another another video that shows the letters & condition of home. City demolishes veteran’s house while he undergoes knee surgery | Fox 59

Old 11-30-2015, 04:13 PM

Also just a note. This man mentions he just purchased a brand new very expensive bike. Who buys that right before a planned knee surgery in Florida? Also the jewelry he claims was left...many are sure he took everything he wanted & of value out of home.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:36 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
There is a lot of this story NOT being told. Since lawsuit was filed fast the truth will soon come out. If you lived near this home or right on the block like my friend did & had to endure the conditions caused by this home you would have wanted it gone as well. Neighbor & others on the block could not sell their homes due to this house. People would see his home & run away. His neighbor finally has their home on the market now & has for about 3 months since that eyesore is gone. It was very bad. He never threw out his garbage. Was a hoarder I was told. That garbage & junk he left lying around (inside & outside) attracted all sort of animals,rodents,bugs among other things. Got to the point neighbors could not even go out without problems. Sad. Now him & his lawyer which many are saying he has a relationship with prior to this are playing the "vet" & "surgery" card. While I have plenty of love & compassion for out Veterans this guy KNEW before he left NY for Florida for PLANNED knee surgery that his home was deemed unsafe as per all the notices placed on the door & home & knew it was scheduled for demolition. He SAW these signs & received these notices. HE chose to ignore all of them & knew what was going to happen. He also was well aware he could not get anything for his home in the condition it was in. Many that lived near him saw this firsthand. He is not exactly poor. He has not even really been living in this home! He winters in Florida. Has place there. He had this lawyer likely in "waiting" figuring he could get more money from the tear down in a lawsuit than the home was worth. Anyone that leaves their home & goes out of area for surgery should make arrangements. He had at least 6 kids. They could have done something. He did not even forward his mail. Very fishy & many holes in his claims. Here is another another video that shows the letters & condition of home. City demolishes veteran’s house while he undergoes knee surgery | Fox 59
As soon as I read the headline, I knew there was "more to the story" because there always is. These kinds of people are con artists who come up with a big sob story whenever the local/state/federal government gets sick of their excrement and takes action. Whether it's that rancher in Arizona who had his cows confiscated or that family with 10+ kids in Kentucky who lost custody of them or this cretin in NY, they all claim to be "persecuted" when, in fact, they all thumbed their noses at reasonable requirements like paying to use public lands to graze their cattle, provide adequate shelter and sanitary facilities for their children, and clean up their property. Of course, they do this excrement because there's always stupid, gullible fools willing to believe anything and take up the cause of every asshat with a tale of woe and despicable media with an agenda to publicize their claims.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:47 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
http://decisions.courts.state.ny.us/.../019534-07.pdf

Seems at some point the IRS had a lien on this house as well.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
http://decisions.courts.state.ny.us/.../019534-07.pdf

Seems at some point the IRS had a lien on this house as well.
Maybe the media should get a hold of this & see it! People need to open their eyes to this guy. Just because someone is a Veteran & older does not mean they are honest. People that are not doubting him & offering sympathy need to hear the WHOLE story. Not just what he & his lawyer want people to hear. This news is all over the US right now. Started going viral all over. Even my friends from Florida to California are hearing about it! They are really hoping & even looking for people's sympathy & support. Has scam all over it.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:42 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
People are headline readers - they see the headline and don't read the story and think they know it all. While the headline on this story sounds sympathetic, it doesn't take a genius reading the story to realize the guy was the neighbor from hell. And does anyone really think the Town tore the house down with no notice? And look how small that plot is - imagine living near that?!

Old 12-01-2015, 05:25 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
And does anyone really think the Town tore the house down with no notice?
If it were any place other than LI, and more specifically, ToH, I'd say no. But anything goes in Hempstead.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:46 AM

629 posts, read 962,046 times
Yeah, I agree that the whole veteran and surgery aspect is what makes this a newsworthy headline and I'm sure ToH did at least provide decent notice. But, like any case, I guess the question will be whether it was enough or not. Does anyone know how often houses are demolished on LI for these reasons?

And loribell38, assuming that's you posting in one of the comment sections for one of those links, I know you got your fair share of hate from the Facebook headline readers.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:07 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
I'm not usually one to take the government's side in things like that but when I first read his story it sounded like BS. Good riddance to this guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island