Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 09:17 AM

107 posts, read 234,725 times

Advertisements

Wow, I know of 2 home invasions recently in Plainview where I am. One a month ago in the house right behind me and one just a few days ago in the "college streets" section of Plainview. These may be isolated incidents, but it appears that home burglaries are on the rise! We bought in Plainview recently since it was supposedly a safe area (probably still is, relatively) but I guess no where is really safe. We have a home alarm system which we didn't really turn on often. We'll now leave it on all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 12:01 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGI7 View Post
Wow, I know of 2 home invasions recently in Plainview where I am. One a month ago in the house right behind me and one just a few days ago in the "college streets" section of Plainview. These may be isolated incidents, but it appears that home burglaries are on the rise! We bought in Plainview recently since it was supposedly a safe area (probably still is, relatively) but I guess no where is really safe. We have a home alarm system which we didn't really turn on often. We'll now leave it on all the time.
I don't see "home invasions" and burglaries as the same thing. Based on the word invasion, the former strongly implies the intruders are coming in after the people living there in one way or another. Quite different from a burglary where the last thing the thief wants to do is encounter a homeowner.

I should imagine the distinction has been fudged on purpose on the current gun debates.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:06 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Well I'm an alley cat, some say a dirty rat
On my side you see my gat, see I'm all of that
Sending off buck shots for I'm gonna wetcha
Running hard, but I'm still coming to getcha
Thinking like a peace smoke, coming on a homicide
You talking sh*t, try to take me for a ride
I'm not a bad guy, but I'm the funky feel one
Finger on the trigger with my hands upon the steel
Letting out a bullet, this is going boo-yaa
You're stuck in my so hood, so what ya gonna do now?
Being the hunted one is no fun
Here I come son, yo I think you better run
Better run more, and move a little faster
Second of thought and I'm coming to blast ya
With my

Sawed off shotgun, hand on the pump
Left hand on a forty, (puffin on a blunt)
Pumped my shotgun, (**** didn't jump)
Lala la la lala la laaaaa...

Old 12-07-2015, 01:04 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,213 times
For those that didn't believe cops had a tussle with a burglar in East Hills.

Burglar Escapes Police Custody in East Hills | Patch

I guess I will be getting a nice shiny shotgun for Christmas.
And I moved to East F'ing Hills because I thought it would be safer than DUMBO Brooklyn and Bill Deblasio... the irony.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
And I moved to East F'ing Hills because I thought it would be safer than DUMBO Brooklyn and Bill Deblasio... the irony.
WTF? Did you really think there was NEVER going to be any sort of violent crime in your neighborhood? Even the best areas have incidents every now and then.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:33 AM

107 posts, read 234,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I don't see "home invasions" and burglaries as the same thing. Based on the word invasion, the former strongly implies the intruders are coming in after the people living there in one way or another. Quite different from a burglary where the last thing the thief wants to do is encounter a homeowner.

I should imagine the distinction has been fudged on purpose on the current gun debates.
It was not my intention to fan any flames regarding the gun debates. Lets just say that uninvited people broke into 2 different homes in my area and stole some items. One of the incidents occured WHILE the family was sleeping upstairs!

Quote:
For those that didn't believe cops had a tussle with a burglar in East Hills.

Burglar Escapes Police Custody in East Hills | Patch

I guess I will be getting a nice shiny shotgun for Christmas.
I guess it is unrealistic to expect NO crime, just less. Lesson for me is that if you have a home alarm system, keep it on constantly. Better safe than sorry. I'll also be looking into external security cameras. I use the "Foscam" brand with good results for internal (use as baby monitor) so I'll look into their external weather-proof models.

Old 12-08-2015, 11:41 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
WTF? Did you really think there was NEVER going to be any sort of violent crime in your neighborhood? Even the best areas have incidents every now and then.
I did not say "NEVER" any crime, I just expected it would less than Brooklyn.

Old 12-08-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I did not say "NEVER" any crime, I just expected it would less than Brooklyn.
how do you know it's not? Because of this one incident?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island