U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 07:24 PM

7,130 posts, read 8,474,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomais View Post
(drive through South Strathmore to see a neighborhood that has been decimated by ugly McMansions).

I believe you are mistaken South Strathmore for North Hills. Many of those McMansions are 5 mil and more

I personally looked at GC. I didn't understand the high taxes considering how much commercial business they have there to support the tax base. Only Roslyn taxes seemed more obscene.

Last edited by sirtiger; 12-29-2015 at 07:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 10:27 PM

120 posts, read 246,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
I believe you are mistaken South Strathmore for North Hills. Many of those McMansions are 5 mil and more

I personally looked at GC. I didn't understand the high taxes considering how much commercial business they have there to support the tax base. Only Roslyn taxes seemed more obscene.
The commercial businesses you are thinking of in Garden City (Roosevelt Field, etc) is really East Garden City which is Uniondale schools. The Inc. Village of Garden City, which is the "real" Garden City does not benefit from the taxes paid by the mall or the surrounding stores.

High taxes in Garden City pay for a dedicated Village govt, police force, pool, extensive recreation facilities, excellent schools, etc.

I did mean South Strathmore. Any unincorporated area in the Town of North Hempstead is open to McMansionization (unlike a village like Munsey Park for example or Garden City). In an incorporated village the local govt won't let you build whatever monstrous ugly monstrosity your heart desires. Look at what the foreign Chinese did to northeast queens housing styles and you are seeing that in the unincorporated parts of north hempstead. That stuff doesn't fly in Garden City. The village govt is intrusive and will shut it down.

$5m is not anywhere close to a normal price point in South strathmore. It's more like $1.5mm to $3mm which IMO is not value given it is all hills so the properties are not even flat useable land ( might as well live in a townhouse if you don't have a flat property for $3mm on 100 x100 lot sizes).

Old 12-30-2015, 05:48 AM

21 posts, read 36,724 times
Default An Argument in Favor of East Williston Village and School District (EWSD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMRNY View Post
... ... ...What would the downside in E Williston be. The neighborhood is nice, the schools are great, you can drive to minneola and be in city in 40 minutes. I read taxes are high but how high are we talking? I expect to drop roughly 20k on prop taxes on a 1mm home. Are they significantly higher? ... ... ...
Here are some pros (+), cons (-), miscellaneous observations (~), in no particular order, and the takeaway (=) of buying and living in East Williston:

+ Excellent schools for LI. EW schools (elem., middle and high) consistently perform well on all objective measures relative to the highest performing schools in LI. Formal rankings overstate the differences among LI's best schools because of vagaries in methodology. The fact is that even an "above-average" child will receive an excellent education at each of Jericho, Syosset, Manhasset, GN N & S, GC, Roslyn, New Hyde Park, Herricks and East Williston. The differences among these schools are largely demographic and *not* academic.

+ Commute to Manhattan is quite reasonable. Direct trains (i.e. no x-fer at Jamaica) run to both Penn (obv.) and Hunterspoint Ave. in LIC, where the 7 runs straight into Grand Central. Lots of folks who commute to the East Side take that option, as I used to myself. The commute from EW train station to Manhattan is well under an hour. Add to that your last-mile commute to/from home/office and the total commuting time is probably 60-65 minutes. I frequently take the train to Mineola on the way home when working later than usual. Train options there are among the most abundant on the LIRR. The distance between the Mineola station and the center of EW is less than that between most other people's homes and their local LIRR in other communities.

+ Good variety of housing stock. EW schools draw students from a variety of communities, i.e.: East Williston (all), Old Westbury (signify.), Roslyn Heights (signif.), Albertson (small) and Mineola (small). There are typically houses on the market in each of those areas within the EWSD from $500K (Mineola) to more than $5M (Old Westbury), with the bulk of the available stock concentrated around $1M.

- Taxes are high. To the extent that this is true of all of LI's best SDs, this is more true of property in EW village; and the same probably goes for Roslyn Heights and Old Westbury. The schools are a major driver of this, and as I've complained elsewhere, the EWSD Board and admin. should rebalance their expenditures away from the physical plant and toward academics. This is not to say that academics are suffering; to the contrary, I just don't like wasting my tax dollars on repaving parking lots and cutting down and replanting trees every year. I would expect taxes on a $1M house to run between $22K and $25K per year depending on the usual variables (excluding pools, because there are few homes with enough space for one in EW village).

- No commerce. Folks above who have noted the dearth of a commercial tax base have in fact given uninformed readers false hope. There is in fact *no* commercial tax base. There was a dry cleaner years ago who was kicked out when someone bought the building he used. Nothing since then. That said, Williston Park has shops and it's right next to the LIRR.

- Housing plots in EW are small and close together. That makes for an obscene amount of noise from the ubiquitous landscapers in fall, spring and summer.

~ Small school with a small town feel. Grades seem to average between 150 and 200 students, which is small and cozy by Nassau County standards. As in most LI towns with decent schools, the school is the heart of the community. The importance of the school to the town is likely enhanced by its small size and the absence of commerce.

~ Student population is economically homogeneous. There is far less economic diversity in the EWSD than in other comparable districts, as evidenced in the data from an earlier post in this thread. Diversity is concentrated exclusively at the high end of the household income spectrum.

~ Student population is largely White with a growing Asian population. Just stating facts, people. The Asian population appears to be evenly divided between East Asian (Chinese and Korean) and Indian. Evidence of growth is found in the larger percentages present in elementary and middle school versus high school. It's not clear to me what portion of these households are non-native English-speaking or composed of one or more parents born outside the US. Anecdotally, there seem to be few ESL students.

= Pick EW village if you're looking to pay ~$1M and want excellent public schooling in a close-knit community with a decent commute to Manhattan.

Communities on the PW line and Garden City have a better commute but most have a defining non-economic demographic. This is less true of PW itself, but the schools are not in the same league, as the original post noted.

Jericho and Syosset have much longer commutes to Manhattan *and* their student populations are plurality Asian. Nothing wrong with that except that, I would argue, student performance in those districts is overwhelmingly driven by parent involvement and not formal academics. That means households there are (1) not receiving sufficient academic value from their schools relative to their tax dollars and, more importantly (2) the true cost of public schooling is grossly underestimated by school taxes because households spend considerable sums on academic enrichment and tutoring (not to mention time). Anyone in those districts who wants his/her child to perform better than the mean will need to join in and win that arms race. I would guess that this will become increasingly true of Herricks, New Hyde Park and Roslyn as well.

Last edited by jishaoshuren; 12-30-2015 at 05:53 AM.. Reason: Forgot to note estimated taxes in relevant part of text

Old 12-30-2015, 10:52 AM

1,643 posts, read 2,096,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jishaoshuren View Post
Here are some pros (+), cons (-), miscellaneous observations (~), in no particular order, and the takeaway (=) of buying and living in East Williston:

- Taxes are high. To the extent that this is true of all of LI's best SDs, this is more true of property in EW village; and the same probably goes for Roslyn Heights and Old Westbury. The schools are a major driver of this, and as I've complained elsewhere, the EWSD Board and admin. should rebalance their expenditures away from the physical plant and toward academics. This is not to say that academics are suffering; to the contrary, I just don't like wasting my tax dollars on repaving parking lots and cutting down and replanting trees every year. I would expect taxes on a $1M house to run between $22K and $25K per year depending on the usual variables (excluding pools, because there are few homes with enough space for one in EW village).
Just a reminder that there is not and never has been a relationship here on Long Island between higher homeowner property taxes and higher quality of education. Some of the worse districts have some of the highest taxes and the inverse is true also.

Since costs are essentially similar between districts (salaries, buildings, etc), property taxes are much more a function of commercial property taxes (or lack thereof) than anything else. State aid (and lack thereof) may also play a role.

The tree planting you see may be a rather tiny item within a much larger budget and may have essentially no impact on a homeowner's personal property taxes.

East Williston (Wheatley HS) does do quite well in the rankings but it is not considered by many to be a 'high=powered' academic district as larger and even better performing districts (such as Syosset, Jericho, etc) may be. That is not a criticism,

Old 12-30-2015, 11:17 AM

402 posts, read 349,694 times
Great link to check school stats-

https://reportcards.nysed.gov/view.p...none&year=2012

Old 01-08-2016, 08:50 AM

59 posts, read 96,581 times
Quote:
I appreciate all the input here. GC seems like a great option given I can walk to the train and top notch schools. I understand some parts of the town have a flight noise issue from JFK changing the flight path a few years back. I am not sure how big an issue this is yet, but will dive deeper on this over the next few months. GC also lacks any diversity and my wife is from S. America. Although none of these towns (w the exception of Manorhaven I understand) are too diverse so she will have to suck it up. . Just kidding. She is well aware.

In summary all options seem like great neighborhoods and we probably can't go wrong with any of them.

I am framing what seem like the potential drawbacks are for each area based on my initial research. To be clear all areas seem great.
PW - schools are not top tier and higher relative % of low income / multi-family housing
manhasset - got to spend 1.5mm for something nice and you are buying into a foreign fueled demand bubble
GC - Potential flight noise issue and neighboring areas are not nice
Roslyn - train service not as frequent as the other options.
E Williston - ?

What would the downside in E Williston be. The neighborhood is nice, the schools are great, you can drive to minneola and be in city in 40 minutes. I read taxes are high but how high are we talking? I expect to drop roughly 20k on prop taxes on a 1mm home. Are they significantly higher?

I did not list "snooty" as a drawback in any town so please don't chime in with this as a drawback. All affluent areas are likely to have both snooty and down to earth types.
Downside to East Williston? Well, definitely taxes. I think you're looking closer at $25K on a 1.5mm house, especially if it's been recently constructed or renovated. Also, there is a village tax in East Williston. If you buy in another area in that school district like Roslyn Heights, taxes may be slightly less. Also, there really isn't a downtown area, if that matters to you. There's a small stretch on Hillside (technically Williston Park) with some restaurants and stores but that's about it. Given the fairly small geographic area that comprises the EW school district, there are limited housing choices.

Also, the school district is very small in EW. It may be a positive or negative, depending on how you look at it. Given that it's a small district, the schools, especially the high school still offers a very wide range of classes and extracurricular activities. Just remember that for the most part, your kids will be going to school with the same 110-120 kids for 13 years. That's a long time to be with such a small group of people. There's only one elementary, middle, and high school so there's never an influx of new kids. Related to that, everyone knows everyone else's business, especially if you are somewhat involved in the schools. Small town at its best, small town at its worst.

The area in EW school district is pretty economically homogeneous. Be prepared to have your kid ask where you are going on vacation during spring break. There is a growing Asian population, but it's nowhere near Great Neck or Herricks or even Roslyn. In the elementary school, there is about a 20% Asian population. It is lower in the high school now, but that will obviously change.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:49 PM

7 posts, read 5,520 times
According to 2016 Best Public High Schools in New York City Metro:
(https://k12.niche.com/rankings/publi...ty-metro-area/)

Port Washington HS ranked #27 in NYC area, higher than Syosset, Great Neck North and Roslyn High, etc.

Old 01-27-2016, 02:21 PM

1,039 posts, read 820,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e__s View Post

Port Washington HS ranked #27 in NYC area, higher than Syosset, Great Neck North and Roslyn High, etc.
That list is a bit flawed as it is not best value but a best overall list. Some towns with only slightly worse schools have significant less taxes.

Also I lived on Port Wash line and commute to work in City for around 8 years. If you work in Midtown, like going to Plays, going to Mets, Knicks, Ranger games it is great.

If you work Downtown, or Brooklyn or got to Nets/Islanders games at Barclays Center, train to JFK or train to Hampton it is not very good, plus crowded.

Last edited by DelightfulNYC; 01-27-2016 at 02:32 PM..

Old 01-27-2016, 02:58 PM

1,643 posts, read 2,096,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e__s View Post

Any list purporting to show the 2016 Best Public High Schools in New York City Metro that puts Westhampton Beach Senior High School at 80 and Cold Spring Harbor four slots below at 84 has got to have awesome criteria.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:29 PM

400 posts, read 621,551 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

We are looking to buy a home in long island over the next 12-24 months. We are looking at Port Washington, Manhasset, Garden City, East Williston and Roslyn. I have a few questions on Port W.

1) Why do the Port Washington schools rank so far below the other communities listed above based on somewhat objective measures?

I don't put too much faith in rankings, but the divergence is too large and consistent for me to ignore. Also, I think the ranking system is not half bad (it was also done by members of this forum - see links from 2012-2014 below).

http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-2014-a-2.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...ks-2013-a.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-rankings.html

2) Port Washington real estate geographically looks great - less than 1 hour commute to Manhattan, downtown area w/ restaurants, views of the water. Yet real estate values in the other areas are arguably higher. What gives (e.g. are the plots of land much smaller, is it the school, something else, etc.)?

3) Can someone explain the neighborhoods in P. Washington to me better. I get that Sands Point is for the big $ and Manorhaven is for the lower income. What about the other neighborhoods - how would you describe the following areas?
Port North
Baxter Estates
Beacon Hill Rd area
Area bordering Plandome

Thanks!
This was very interesting to see...

2015 2014 2013
Port Washington Nassau Susceptible 31.7% 15.0% 8.3%

DiNapoli: 82 School Districts in Fiscal Stress, January 28, 2016

This came from the state comptroller review. Port wash was on the list of schools susceptible to fiscal stress.... But it looks like it has been wrenching up there in the last few years... I dont think it means a huge thing.. unless its super high.. manhasset was at 37% 2 years ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island